Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

22 hours ago, kelris said:

hmmm I'm always paranoid about calling schools--I'm sure it'll come eventually. I was wondering if I was missing the location of the link or something. If you call, post back here!

@kelris I ended up just emailing the grad coordinator and they quickly gave me a response. I did get the automated email today that my status has been updated and to check the website. So, you should get an email when it's time to check, but you can always email the coordinator if you want to rip off the band-aid. Good luck! (Sadly, I did get not in, which was a big surprise - I thought I was a great fit, I have a MA from UMass Boston, I have great scores, and got into a few higher-ranked schools. Oh well. Thankfully, I do have other options, so it's not the worst news.)

2 hours ago, harrila said:

@kelris I ended up just emailing the grad coordinator and they quickly gave me a response. I did get the automated email today that my status has been updated and to check the website. So, you should get an email when it's time to check, but you can always email the coordinator if you want to rip off the band-aid. Good luck! (Sadly, I did get not in, which was a big surprise - I thought I was a great fit, I have a MA from UMass Boston, I have great scores, and got into a few higher-ranked schools. Oh well. Thankfully, I do have other options, so it's not the worst news.)

thanks. I got my email today too. rejected. rawr.

3 minutes ago, 2016Applicant said:

I just received an email from a school asking if I had accepted an offer anywhere else and what other programs am I considering? Has this happened to anyone else? What is the best way to respond to the latter question? 

Have they already offered you an acceptance? I've never had this happen to me before ... I would also check out the "Waiting it Out" forum and "Decisions, Decisions" forum to see if similar things have happened to applicants from other programs. 

Good luck!

@2016Applicant Ah, I see ... They are probably getting a feel for whether they should offer you admission. My only suggestion: if this program is at the top of your list, make sure it is absolutely clear in your response to them that they are very high on your list and that you really want to go there! I wish you the best of luck!

Not unheard of. They either 1) don't want to waste an offer if you've accepted elsewhere or 2) don't want to waste their time fighting for extra funding or 3) really like you and want to make you an offer competitive with the other schools you're considering. It's all hedging their bets, just differs in why.

Oh man, Vanderbilt rejection on the board ... ahhhh ... 

Whomever it was ... I'm sorry, friend. *hugs* Your stats are awesome though, so I have a feeling you'll get offers elsewhere!!

I'd pace around, except I'm curled up with my heating pad, grading at the moment.

Edited by gingin6789

Anyone still waiting on Cornell? I have been waiting for my rejection and see a couple on the board today but still nothing.

Meanwhile, wait listed at UMass. I've been talking myself into continuing to teach high school next year. Maybe it's just my bruised ego talking. 

3 hours ago, 2016Applicant said:

I just received an email from a school asking if I had accepted an offer anywhere else and what other programs am I considering? Has this happened to anyone else? What is the best way to respond to the latter question? 

I'll echo what others have said that this is not the time to be coy. If you want to go there, be very clear and direct about that. Schools are as just as nervous about this process as we are. Most admissions committees have a long history of getting "burned" by prized  would-be students. Also, many folks on the waitlist are great candidates so they don't want to risk losing them to other programs thats they were admitted to on the first go-round. Once Accepted Student A changes his or her mind in early April and goes elsewhere, Great Waitlisted Candidate B, C and D will all be committed elsewhere. Catch my drift?

3 hours ago, 2016Applicant said:

Yes, I've seen this situation mentioned on a few boards - though not that the school was asking quite so openly about what other programs you are considering.  It is, as mentioned above, often followed by an offer of admission/funding, if you're still a possible candidate.  If you like the school I'd respond that you're definitely interested in their program and would like to continue to be in touch with them about their process.  One program I was admitted to asked me in my acceptance letter what my top financial offer so far was and that they'd like to try and meet that offer, so I think it's fine to mention it if you've already gotten some good funding awards elsewhere.  If you're not interested then you can just say so, and save them some time.  

23 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

For anyone else who still hasn't heard from UPenn: I talked to the DGS and we are on the waitlist, just not very high on the waitlist. So take that as you will :)

I wonder if something similar is happening with Vanderbilt. I wasn't invited to the visit weekend, but I haven't been rejected either. 

At this point, I'm worried they sent me an email with either an invitation or a rejection, but I missed it somehow (even though I watch my email -- even my spam folder -- like a hawk).

Hoping to hear something soon either way, to put this fear to rest! 

On 2/27/2016 at 6:23 AM, ibnbattuta said:

I urge those of you who were given offers of admission to input the stipend information at http://www.phdstipends.com/ .  Knowledge is power.

Thanks for sharing the site and thanks to those of you who entered new data! The database has grown over 10% in just the past few days.

7 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

I wonder if something similar is happening with Vanderbilt. I wasn't invited to the visit weekend, but I haven't been rejected either. 

At this point, I'm worried they sent me an email with either an invitation or a rejection, but I missed it somehow (even though I watch my email -- even my spam folder -- like a hawk).

I gave in and sent an email eventually :P

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

The interview weekend just happened. While there the acting DGS told the 11 of us that they would be offering admission to 6. They are supposed to be meeting today to make their decisions. 

Not sure if that helps, but I figured I'd let you know what's going on there.