Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

5 hours ago, michaelalexiss said:

Got my alternate acceptance to NYU's MA program. Still no word on CUNY. Considering calling the office today and asking for a status update since they seem to have sent out a few of everything already (acceptance, wait-list, rejections). Has anyone else had success doing this?

This might mean you're on the waitlist for the waitlist - so a long shot. I know CUNY does this. 

4 hours ago, any5 said:

with that did NYU invite you to their visit days?

So weird.. I didn't get an acceptance or a rejection email from NYU, but today I got an email inviting me to their Open House visit day.. I called the dept. admin and she said she can't give decisions over the phone, but that somebody should've contacted me days ago... so strange - did they forget to notify me? I am still not sure if I've been accepted.. :unsure:

12 minutes ago, any5 said:

So weird.. I didn't get an acceptance or a rejection email from NYU, but today I got an email inviting me to their Open House visit day.. I called the dept. admin and she said she can't give decisions over the phone, but that somebody should've contacted me days ago... so strange - did they forget to notify me? I am still not sure if I've been accepted.. :unsure:

So strange! I know these top programs get hundreds of applications but one would hope they'd keep better track of their decisions. Hope you get some great news from NYU soon!  I haven't received any correspondence from NYU yet so after reading your post I'm hoping they forgot to inform me of my acceptance and will be contacting me any minute now. ;)

16 minutes ago, any5 said:

I got invited to the visit as well, but I have been waitlisted. Just tossing in that info :)

3 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Woooooo!! *celebrates  with you and shares some of the carrot cake I just made* congratulations!! 

I  :wub: carrot cake! :) thx!

Edited by ts1493

14 hours ago, Katastrophe said:

I got invited to the visit as well, but I have been waitlisted. Just tossing in that info :)

Ok, looks like I am in the same boat. I was supposed to get a waitlist email last week but for some reason they never sent it..!

2 hours ago, macadamia tea said:

Anyone else not heard anything from NYU? I'm assuming rejection but I'd at least like to know!

I have also not heard from NYU (or Columbia) yet. I'm assuming rejection as well but would love some closure.

I received an acceptance from Northeastern for their MS in Criminology on the 12th of February through the application website. I was later notified on the 16th about receiving a scholarship via email.

14 hours ago, ismymiddlename said:

I, too, haven't heard anything from NYU. Do you think I should email them?

NYU has this message posted on their page so they would probably just ignore your inquiry:

APPLICANTS TO THE SOCIOLOGY PHD PROGRAM SHOULD RECEIVE THEIR INDIVIDUAL ADMISSIONS DECISION NO LATER THAN MARCH 15. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE SOCIOLOGY DEPARTMENT REQUESTING INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ADMISSIONS DECISION PRIOR TO MARCH 15.

Is anyone else waiting to hear from Boston University? I see two acceptances on the Results page; last year there were only two acceptances posted as well so this is probably it for BU? (They say on their website that they make only 10 offers or so). BU was my last hope. :(

Just got an email from my POI at Johns Hopkins and I'm "high on the waitlist." They only have 5 funded positions, so unlike some other depts they only offer 5 in the first go-round. I'm happy to still be among the possible admittees, as there were 150 applicants. Though I have utmost confidence in my research agenda and scholarly abilities, I don't come from Ivy or elite private schools, and I'm a bit of a "late bloomer" in terms of my paper record. I'm happy to be among you lifelong high achievers ;) Congrats to those who got in on the first round. It was insanely competitive. 

On a totally unrelated note, Baltimore is a cold and dreary city, and I hear the building that houses the sociology dept is haunted... Just saying... ;)

Edited by proctorvt

2 hours ago, pi515 said:

Is anyone else waiting to hear from Boston University? I see two acceptances on the Results page; last year there were only two acceptances posted as well so this is probably it for BU? (They say on their website that they make only 10 offers or so). BU was my last hope. :(

I've just declined my BU offer (I was one of the acceptances on the results page). I hope this opens up a spot for someone else! :) I haven't heard of anyone being waitlisted, so perhaps they send acceptances in waves?

10 minutes ago, Port Lake said:

I've just declined my BU offer (I was one of the acceptances on the results page). I hope this opens up a spot for someone else! :) I haven't heard of anyone being waitlisted, so perhaps they send acceptances in waves?

Very cool! Thank you for being so prompt with declining offers. :) And congrats on all your acceptances!