Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

Just now, aresh1 said:

The interview weekend just happened. While there the acting DGS told the 11 of us that they would be offering admission to 6. They are supposed to be meeting today to make their decisions. 

Not sure if that helps, but I figured I'd let you know what's going on there. 

That DOES help. That way I know when I might hear back. Thank you! I hope you had fun on the visit, and I hope you hear some good news soon! =)

4 hours ago, aresh1 said:

The interview weekend just happened. While there the acting DGS told the 11 of us that they would be offering admission to 6. They are supposed to be meeting today to make their decisions. 

Not sure if that helps, but I figured I'd let you know what's going on there. 

As someone else waiting to hear from Vanderbilt, I definitely appreciate the update as well!  Six admission offers seems like a really small number though (unless they are expecting every single offer to be accepted).  I remember their website saying they usually try to have 5 to 10 students in each new yearly cohort, so unless they are expecting every person from the weekend to accept their offer, does anyone know if they're hoping for a smaller cohort than usual this year?  Or is it possible this means there are still offers to be made to those who haven't heard anything yet?

I know the smaller cohort option is probably more likely, but sometimes a little wishful/hopeful/denial-based thinking is all a man has left to cling to:P lol

34 minutes ago, reify_this said:

As someone else waiting to hear from Vanderbilt, I definitely appreciate the update as well!  Six admission offers seems like a really small number though (unless they are expecting every single offer to be accepted).  I remember their website saying they usually try to have 5 to 10 students in each new yearly cohort, so unless they are expecting every person from the weekend to accept their offer, does anyone know if they're hoping for a smaller cohort than usual this year?  Or is it possible this means there are still offers to be made to those who haven't heard anything yet?

I know the smaller cohort option is probably more likely, but sometimes a little wishful/hopeful/denial-based thinking is all a man has left to cling to:P lol

Did you go to the visit? Or are you in the same spot as me: neither invited to the visit nor rejected? 

If so, it's good to know others are in the same spot! 

Hey y'all, I'm a longtime lurker -- so first off, thanks to all of you for helping guide me through this application season (even though you didn't know it!)

I'm the proud-but-nervous owner of a waitlist spot at UChicago. Has anyone been accepted and isn't planning to attend? Or know anyone in that position? I'm trying to keep my fingers crossed and sit tight, but purgatory is even more nerve-wracking than waiting for the original decision...I know I'm thiiiiiiiiiis close, but not there yet!

Best of luck to everyone else waiting it out on the waitlist!

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

Did you go to the visit? Or are you in the same spot as me: neither invited to the visit nor rejected? 

If so, it's good to know others are in the same spot! 

I'm in the same spot that you are.  Haven't heard a peep from Vandy at this point.  Guessing it means that we've been placed on a de facto wait-list of some kind, but then again, if I've learned anything from the grad school application process thus far, it's that very little about the selection process makes sense, and that trying to predict any of the outcomes or logic behind them is pretty much an exercise in futility haha

11 hours ago, reify_this said:

I'm in the same spot that you are.  Haven't heard a peep from Vandy at this point.  Guessing it means that we've been placed on a de facto wait-list of some kind, but then again, if I've learned anything from the grad school application process thus far, it's that very little about the selection process makes sense, and that trying to predict any of the outcomes or logic behind them is pretty much an exercise in futility haha

Amen to that!!! We'll just have to wait and see!

16 hours ago, reify_this said:

I can only speak from what I learned from the current graduate students and faculty, so don't think that this is set in stone. 

They took on a particularly large cohort last year (I think 12) and were looking to even out because of that. I also spoke to a number of graduate students who were initially waitlisted before entering the program (about half of them). A quarter didn't attend the visit last year, yet still ended up at Vanderbilt. The DGS made it clear they were meeting on Monday and sending their recommendations for admission to the Dean's office ASAP. So we should hear something this week. 

I'm as nervous as everyone else. The school and program were amazing. If I manage to get one of those six spots I'll be accepting the offer on the spot. 

17 minutes ago, aresh1 said:

I can only speak from what I learned from the current graduate students and faculty, so don't think that this is set in stone. 

They took on a particularly large cohort last year (I think 12) and were looking to even out because of that. I also spoke to a number of graduate students who were initially waitlisted before entering the program (about half of them). A quarter didn't attend the visit last year, yet still ended up at Vanderbilt. The DGS made it clear they were meeting on Monday and sending their recommendations for admission to the Dean's office ASAP. So we should hear something this week. 

I'm as nervous as everyone else. The school and program were amazing. If I manage to get one of those six spots I'll be accepting the offer on the spot. 

Sounds like I'll be spending the rest of the week waiting in a borderline overwhelming state of anxiety then lol

My own anxiety aside though, good luck to everyone on the board who is still waiting to hear about decisions!

53 minutes ago, aresh1 said:

Wow, aresh, this is super helpful. Thank you so much for this information! It gives me a sense of the possible reasons I haven't any news. It sounds promising at this point!

I agree that it's an amazing program. When my undergrad thesis advisor was there, she loved it. She still meets with her dissertation advisor for dinner when they happen to be at the same conference. And I've met other professors from the department at conferences. They all just seem so kind-hearted and invested in their students' academic success and personal growth.

I truly hope you get an acceptance because it sounds like you'd be a great fit!

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

Wow, aresh, this is super helpful. Thank you so much for this information! It gives me a sense of the possible reasons I haven't any news. It sounds promising at this point!

I agree that it's an amazing program. When my undergrad thesis advisor was there, she loved it. She still meets with her dissertation advisor for dinner when they happen to be at the same conference. And I've met other professors from the department at conferences. They all just seem so kind-hearted and invested in their students' academic success and personal growth.

I truly hope you get an acceptance because it sounds like you'd be a great fit!

My current boss got her PhD from Vanderbilt Sociology and she loved it as well!  I didn't apply (really don't want to be far from family and friends) but I hope everyone who wants a spot gets a spot. :) 

While certainly not as prestigious as some of the other programs people have been accepted to, I just got an admit to Auburn's rural sociology program. Waiting to hear back about funding, but it's such a relief because I've been admitted somewhere, and because Auburn is my top choice (great fit with the department). 

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back about their PhD programs!

5 minutes ago, ThePastelCalico said:

While certainly not as prestigious as some of the other programs people have been accepted to, I just got an admit to Auburn's rural sociology program. Waiting to hear back about funding, but it's such a relief because I've been admitted somewhere, and because Auburn is my top choice (great fit with the department). 

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back about their PhD programs!

woo hoo!!! Congratulations, Pastel!! *high fives and throws confetti for you*

Hi, I guess I'm late to the game and just found this website. Has anyone heard back from Cornell in Development Sociology? They're the only Sociology program that I haven't heard back from so far.

22 hours ago, SOCapp20 said:

Anyone still waiting on Yale, unc, or Hopkins? Assuming rejection but was wondering if anyone has reached out to these departments

Still waiting on Yale. All acceptance letters have been sent out so for us, best case scenario is wait list and worst case is rejection.

Has anyone been in contact with Boston University? I've seen both acceptances and rejections posted on the results page. Have one acceptance with funding, but I'm still waiting on 5 schools. BU is one of my preferred locations. 

3 hours ago, litany239 said:

Still waiting on Yale. All acceptance letters have been sent out so for us, best case scenario is wait list and worst case is rejection.

I received notice from Yale last night inviting me to recruitment day in April. Had not even heard that I had been accepted yet. Emailed DGS this morning, confirmed that I have been admitted and that I should receive an official acceptance either today or tomorrow. I will post on the board once it is actually OFFICIAL.

So they could be sending notices out to their "second wave" of students. Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, thirtysleven said:

Has anyone been in contact with Boston University? I've seen both acceptances and rejections posted on the results page. Have one acceptance with funding, but I'm still waiting on 5 schools. BU is one of my preferred locations. 

I'm also still waiting to hear from Boston University. I haven't received any acceptances and BU is my last chance so I'm hoping those of us who haven't heard from BU yet are on an informal waitlist. Good luck!

11 hours ago, puton said:

Anyone offered an M.A acceptance to Columbia?

Yes. They offered MA acceptance on 19 February. 22 admitted MA students are notified. Not sure if they have wait list for MA program.

8 hours ago, ConsciousKid said:

I received notice from Yale last night inviting me to recruitment day in April. Had not even heard that I had been accepted yet. Emailed DGS this morning, confirmed that I have been admitted and that I should receive an official acceptance either today or tomorrow. I will post on the board once it is actually OFFICIAL.

So they could be sending notices out to their "second wave" of students. Hope this helps!

Nothing on my end. Congratulations are definitely in order for you though.

Thank you @litany239 ! I appreciate it! Still waiting on my official notice.

Also, forgot to note that the program I got into was a joint Ph.D. in Sociology and African-American Studies. Therefore, that may have played a role in getting accepted later then most Sociology applicants.

Wishing you the best!

1 hour ago, Antoine.hsu said:

Yes. They offered MA acceptance on 19 February. 22 admitted MA students are notified. Not sure if they have wait list for MA program.

PM'd you..

5 hours ago, pi515 said:

I'm also still waiting to hear from Boston University. I haven't received any acceptances and BU is my last chance so I'm hoping those of us who haven't heard from BU yet are on an informal waitlist. Good luck!

Here's to hoping! Best of luck to you as well.