Interview weekend attire

Little Richard

So I received an invitation for Emory's recruitment weekend. Given I've never done something like this before, I don't know what proper attire would be. Are we talking suits or something a little less dressy? It'd be great to hear from people who have done this before.

Apologies if this topic has been discussed already.

Thanks

I brought two outfits:

Dress grey pants, striped button down and tie (although I pocketed in most of the time)

Dressy khakis, blue botton down

Obviously a nice belt and Sperrys that were not worn out.

I brought a sweater but the weather was good so didn't end up wearing it.  I also brought a blue blazer but didnt wear i unless I saw others wearing them - some of my schools were more formal.

I haven't been before, but, I'm planning on going business casual (khakis or dress-ish black/grey pants, button up shirts w/ & w/o a sweater, and a jacket/blazer). Not going to do a full suit, but not jeans, either.

However, I am going to pack a pair of nicer jeans, converse, and a less dressy shirt in the case that some of it's more casual--especially since it's equal parts meeting with profs and talking/eating with grad students. 

I'm in the same boat. Interview weekend early next month, no idea what I should wear. I feel more comfortable rocking a pantsuit than dresses or skirts, plus their current students are overwhelmingly male... I normally dress way more "girly" than usual for interviews or formal events, but I suspect that's not the right plan of attack here. 

So far my ideas include:
Nice dress, similar to this one from the same brand. Nylons and low heels. Possible interview outfit, also contender for the more formal dinner event.
Charcoal slacks, navy and teal silk blouse with black knit cardigan. Low heels or black leather flats. Possible interview outfit. 
Nice dark wash jeans, leggings and t-shirt for pajamas (I'm staying with a grad student aka total stranger), and some decent blouses. I'm going to pack a "going out" outfit only because I may meet up with an old friend who is a current student for drinks while I'm there.

Every time I've asked, people have told me to go one step down from a suit. As a female, I believe that gives me more outfit options but more room to mess up.

1 hour ago, bugabooo said:

I'm in the same boat. Interview weekend early next month, no idea what I should wear. I feel more comfortable rocking a pantsuit than dresses or skirts, plus their current students are overwhelmingly male... I normally dress way more "girly" than usual for interviews or formal events, but I suspect that's not the right plan of attack here. 

So far my ideas include:
Nice dress, similar to this one from the same brand. Nylons and low heels. Possible interview outfit, also contender for the more formal dinner event.
Charcoal slacks, navy and teal silk blouse with black knit cardigan. Low heels or black leather flats. Possible interview outfit. 
Nice dark wash jeans, leggings and t-shirt for pajamas (I'm staying with a grad student aka total stranger), and some decent blouses. I'm going to pack a "going out" outfit only because I may meet up with an old friend who is a current student for drinks while I'm there.

Every time I've asked, people have told me to go one step down from a suit. As a female, I believe that gives me more outfit options but more room to mess up.

Leggings as pajama bottoms is perfect!  I'll be staying with a student as well and have been laughing at myself all weekend because I think the last time I owned pajamas was 10 years ago.  I do have some t-shirts, but it'd be so tacky to go without bottoms in someone else's house lol.  Plus they won't take up a ton of space in my suitcase.

I think the dress you've chosen is perfect.  I'll be bringing a couple that are similarly styled and will add tights, low heels, and a blazer to complete the look.  For the more casual events I'm leaning toward a skirt, blouse, tights, boots, and cardigan ensemble.  

2 hours ago, bugabooo said:

So far my ideas include:

First of all, not to be all girly, but TOTALLY LOVE THAT DRESS. It's perfect.

I personally believe it is harder for girls than guys because dress descriptions are more vague, and thus way more room for error. Also - and just my own preference - I like being overdressed than underdressed. Advice I received from a mentor is that: "YOU are the one seeking a job, not them. YOU are going to that university specifically to meet with them, whereas they may have had other things that day." Just something to think about.

I think blazer and dress with tights is great! I am doing dress pants + nice blouse + blazer + low heels, but only because I don't have a dress as good as bugabooo's :) 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, quanto said:

I can't believe people worry this much about what to wear! Chill out and just wear decent clothes. If they care that much about what you're wearing, then they're focused on the wrong things and they can go F themselves!

Have you ever heard of heuristics or unconscious bias?  Those of us who are worried about what to wear are attempting to maximize the favorability of the "snap judgement" that a person makes in the first ten or so seconds of meeting another human.  This has nothing to do with the character of the interviewers or the interviewees.  

It may be true that this initial impression is largely outside of either parties control, but there are some things that can be done to sway the probabilities.  Including dressing appropriately for the occasion.  Because many of us are entering social situation that we haven't encountered before, it is useful to seek the advise of other, more experienced, members of the community.  

9 minutes ago, SAH said:

Have you ever heard of heuristics or unconscious bias?  Those of us who are worried about what to wear are attempting to maximize the favorability of the "snap judgement" that a person makes in the first ten or so seconds of meeting another human.  This has nothing to do with the character of the interviewers or the interviewees.  

It may be true that this initial impression is largely outside of either parties control, but there are some things that can be done to sway the probabilities.  Including dressing appropriately for the occasion.  Because many of us are entering social situation that we haven't encountered before, it is useful to seek the advise of other, more experienced, members of the community.  

Wow, you're a psychologist, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're referencing pseudoscience! It has everything to do with the character of the interviewers and interviewees. People of strong character won't care what you're wearing--like me. I have transcended such things, I hope one day you, too, will achieve such a level as I have . One of the quickest ways to spot a lying sadistic psychopath is to look for people that are overdressed.

On 2/2/2016 at 4:41 PM, quanto said:

Wow, you're a psychologist, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're referencing pseudoscience! It has everything to do with the character of the interviewers and interviewees. People of strong character won't care what you're wearing--like me. I have transcended such things, I hope one day you, too, will achieve such a level as I have . One of the quickest ways to spot a lying sadistic psychopath is to look for people that are overdressed.

You're one of those people who dyes their hair rainbow, aren't you?

But seriously, I feel like there's a little bit of merit to what both of you are saying. Yes, snap judgements are real (don't wear your fedora to the interview quanto), but in the end they are interested in what you can bring to their program and that you're not that unhygienic dude that showers once a week because "natural oils are good for you".

13 hours ago, ecneicS said:

You're one of those people who dyes their hair rainbow, aren't you?

But seriously, I feel like there's a little bit of merit to what both of you are saying. Yes, snap judgements are real (don't wear your fedora to the interview quanto), but in the end they are interested in what you can bring to their program and that you're not that unhygienic dude that showers once a week because "natural oils are good for you".

Haha you couldn't be more wrong picturing me as a fedora-wearing hipster. Hell, Id rather be some overdressed tool than a hipster! They're the lowest form of life on Earth! I'm more of the 'scientist with zero ability to understand fashion' type guy.

I did the interview circuit last time 'round, and all your outfits sound fine. I wore dress slacks, but others wore skirts or dresses (or dress pants) and it was all fine. The idea of wearing jeans to meetings with current grad students (we were taking out for drinks) is also good -- though if you don't change into a more casual outfit, that's OK too. Just be friendly, and no one will care what you're wearing. Inevitably, as a student interacting with new prospectives, I've seen the full range of outfits, including someone wearing their travel (very very casual) clothes because of lost baggage. It's really fine. Try to enjoy the experience and get a feel for each program to determine if you'd be happy there.

Update: I wore the dress I first mentioned with nylons and low heels, and two out of the three people interviewing me complimented it up front. Most men wore suits or sport coats, and most women wore blazers with an even split between slacks and skirts or dresses. One male candidate wore khakis and a dress shirt/tie/sweater combo, and he definitely looked more casual than anyone else being interviewed (but the current grad students were less dressed up). I was the only one wearing a dress, but when I was told by faculty how "professional and elegant" I looked, I really couldn't be worried. I carried a folio but no purse, and I think that's what everyone else did as well. We were able to keep all our bags and coats in a conference room that we waited in throughout the day.

The male faculty member was wearing a suit, and the female faculty wore slacks, nice blouses and blazers.

On 1/18/2016 at 8:41 PM, bugabooo said:

So far my ideas include:

I love that dress! Chaps has superb dresses for work and interview, and I find that the material and quality really make them a good buy. I also agree that 'one step down from a suit' is a really nebulous statement. What about a pencil skirt? What about a dress? What about these 50 other options? I think we'll all be fine, provided we pick sensible business casual/semi-formal clothes. 

This thread made me realize how fortunate I am that I applied to a school in SoCal. I have never seen snow or lived in it. If I had to show up at NYU (or any university below 70 degrees) I'd be completely out of my element in regards to clothing. My wardrobe is 80% dresses, 20% work clothes and I own a single jacket. For lack of a better term, it's a 'Florida jacket' that isn't thick or meant for anything more windy than a brisk air conditioner.