2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

I wonder what I need to do to get UBC to start sending out some PhD acceptances...? 

I'd be willing to: Bust out my acoustic guitar and serenade them with Townes Van Zandt covers, do a ritual dance of some sort, pay a cash fee, perform challenges of various sorts, give back and foot rubs, or buy the entire faculty a round of beers.

13 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

I wonder what I need to do to get UBC to start sending out some PhD acceptances...? 

I'd be willing to: Bust out my acoustic guitar and serenade them with Townes Van Zandt covers, do a ritual dance of some sort, pay a cash fee, perform challenges of various sorts, give back and foot rubs, or buy the entire faculty a round of beers.

Buy me a round of beer and I will seduce the DGS. I didn't even apply there so I have nothing to lose, and only beer to gain.

Edited by AmandaEvans
typo

7 minutes ago, AmandaEvans said:

But me a round of beer and I will seduce the DGS. I didn't even apply there so I have nothing to lose, and only beer to gain.

This plan looks pretty well fail-safe from where I'm sitting.

I see there's some UCLA posts on the board - anybody able to claim the one acceptance? 

EDIT: Nvm, the acceptance was claimed in the contacting admissions thread. 

Edited by Siegfried42

10 hours ago, AmandaEvans said:

Buy me a round of beer and I will seduce the DGS. I didn't even apply there so I have nothing to lose, and only beer to gain.

Are you talking about the University of British Columbia? I was just accepted off of the waitlist, so I assume acceptances did go out, since someone must have turned an offer down for me to be accepted. 

9 minutes ago, Disgruntledlurker said:

Are you talking about the University of British Columbia? I was just accepted off of the waitlist, so I assume acceptances did go out, since someone must have turned an offer down for me to be accepted. 

Well. Fuck, then.

Edited by dgswaim

29 minutes ago, Disgruntledlurker said:

I can confirm that at least one first-round acceptance went out last Thursday (to a friend of mine). I didn't realize nobody had posted any on the results page.

Edited by philstudent1992

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

think you're going to visit? I'm super curious about their rolling admissions deal... let us know if you're considering declining! 

Yes, definitely. Also, I told them about my other offers, and they may consider contacting an alternate in case I decline. They said the reason for the late decision was that I'm international, and they can only admit one international per year. I imagine the alternate would also be international.

21 minutes ago, AgentScully said:

hYes, definitely. Also, I told them about my other offers, and they may consider contacting an alternate in case I decline. They said the reason for the late decision was that I'm international, and they can only admit one international per year. I imagine the alternate would also be international.

Only one international? Dang :(. I wonder why?  

2 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Only one international? Dang :(. I wonder why?  

All the schools in the UC system have had severe difficulties funding international students for at least the last couple of years. We've actually got someone who was accepted at Riverside but couldn't get funding.

1 minute ago, MentalEngineer said:

All the schools in the UC system have had severe difficulties funding international students for at least the last couple of years. We've actually got someone who was accepted at Riverside but couldn't get funding.

That's disappointing, was just getting a sliver of hope after not receiving a rejection. Maybe this just reveals my ignorance of the system, but why do international students cost more than out of state Americans to fund?

3 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

That's disappointing, was just getting a sliver of hope after not receiving a rejection. Maybe this just reveals my ignorance of the system, but why do international students cost more than out of state Americans to fund?

I'd guess that it's because there's less state (or perhaps even federal) funding available for international students, in which case the department has to pay more on its own. 

Edited by Incregible

2 minutes ago, Incregible said:

I'd guess that it's because there's less state (or perhaps even federal) funding available for international students, in which case the department has to pay more on its own. 

Ah, of course, thanks! Well that's frustrating. 

1 minute ago, philoguy said:

Siegfried, when did you hear back from Georgia State?

I called them back after missing a call around 12:15 today. They said I should also have received an email but I've still not gotten that message, so don't lose hope if you haven't heard yet!

1 minute ago, Siegfried42 said:

I called them back after missing a call around 12:15 today. They said I should also have received an email but I've still not gotten that message, so don't lose hope if you haven't heard yet!

Ok, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the update, really appreciate it.