2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 hour ago, AmandaEvans said:

Just got into UT Austin!! Very excited. I was also awarded the Provost's Graduate Excellence Fellowship :):)

Does anyone have any insight as to which one is better, Notre Dame or UT Austin? I know on Philosophical Gourmet they're tied for ranking, which makes it tough.

:D:D Niceeeee! 

Thank you!! :D

I'm constantly torn between metaphysics and philosophy of mind, which makes it tricky. I don't know much about UT Austin's metaphysics department (I have some research to do), but I know Notre Dame is strong in that area. On the other hand, my advisor told me to apply to Austin in the first place because of its strength in philosophy of mind.

An added consideration is that I'm attending Notre Dame for undergrad. So branching out is probably another tally in favor of Austin, but who knows.

It depends what sorts of metaphysics you're interested in. Overall, it's pretty strong. Jon Litland is  incredible. And rob Koons, if you're into that sort of stuff. Great at mind. Panpsychism is literally true and Galen Strawson is at UT. And Michelle Montague. And Michael Tye  

Also, Austin is a wayyyy better city. 

Edited by shitandthings

10 minutes ago, shitandthings said:

It depends what sorts of metaphysics you're interested in. Overall, it's pretty strong. Jon Litland is  incredible. And rob Koons, if you're into that sort of stuff. Great at mind. Panpsychism is literally true and Galen Strawson is at UT. And Michelle Montague. And Michael Tye  

Also, Austin is a wayyyy better city. 

Rob Koons... if you think Intelligent Design is true and global warming is a hoax.

Edited by dgswaim

6 minutes ago, shitandthings said:

I mean...some people are into that, I guess.

I should say, I've met Rob and he's a *really* nice guy. But great people are sometimes very wrong.

Anyone else notice the acceptance posted for University of Michigan for "applied philosophy"?  I'm assuming this was a mistake and the poster meant to write "applied physics".

6 hours ago, quinnp said:

Sorry I was that weird poster! I received an email from Mitchell Green last Sunday. It's strange not to have seen anyone else on gradcafe claim another UConn acceptance. I guess they must have been very quietly excited, like me.

Oh nice congrats! It looks like their acceptances can be pretty spread out so maybe you were just the first! Was the e-mail generic or personal? 

True!! And I happen to love him. I honestly had forgotten he was there until just now. Hahah this is definitely a point in favor of Austin. Especially since van Inwagen (who I love as well) is semi-retired at this point.

Do you know Peter van Inwagen? I've interacted with him a lot and find his personality and behavior usually bothersome and sometimes utterly deplorable. Specifically, he's a constant source of condescension and microaggressions (and I'm a white male!). I'd be pleased if your experience was different. 

10 minutes ago, Chrysippus'Doge said:

Oh nice congrats! It looks like their acceptances can be pretty spread out so maybe you were just the first! Was the e-mail generic or personal? 

Thank you! It was not like an informal email from a POI, if that is what you mean, since as I said, the email was from Mitchell Green, who is the Director of Graduate Studies. But he listed some faculty and programs that may be of particular interest to me given my AOIs, so I guess that would classify it as a personalized generic email.

3 minutes ago, roundtwo said:

Anyone want to claim the second UT Austin acceptance? I'm wondering whether other accepts beyond the fellowship one have gone out—or whether there might be a delay, as there was with Brown. 

I'd also be very interested in getting clarification on this.

31 minutes ago, quinnp said:

Thank you! It was not like an informal email from a POI, if that is what you mean, since as I said, the email was from Mitchell Green, who is the Director of Graduate Studies. But he listed some faculty and programs that may be of particular interest to me given my AOIs, so I guess that would classify it as a personalized generic email.

Right right, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

2 minutes ago, FILOS said:

I would claim the second Austin acceptance. The offer includes a recruitment fellowship, so I'm sure more acceptances will come out during the week. 

Thanks, and congratulations! Here's to hoping.

1 hour ago, Incregible said:

Do you know Peter van Inwagen? I've interacted with him a lot and find his personality and behavior usually bothersome and sometimes utterly deplorable. Specifically, he's a constant source of condescension and microaggressions (and I'm a white male!). I'd be pleased if your experience was different. 

He actually wrote one of my letters of rec! I know he rubs people the wrong way a lot, but having gotten to know him I'm come to the conclusion that he's like that gruff but deep-down compassionate grandpa type. As a (white) female, I actually felt very good about being in his class. A lot of the female grad students go to him if they're having climate/microaggression problems with others in the department, actually. Have you interacted with him in person much, or mostly e-mail/phone? I could see his true nature not really coming through if it was mainly the latter two. And, for the record, I disagree with him on just about everything, so I don't think that's why I like him! Hah.

UT is starting to feel like a rejection :mellow:.

maybe they don't like me because my BA is from across town at St. Edward's University. Or maybe they just think I'm bad at philosophy. Probly the latter.

34 minutes ago, AmandaEvans said:

He actually wrote one of my letters of rec! I know he rubs people the wrong way a lot, but having gotten to know him I'm come to the conclusion that he's like that gruff but deep-down compassionate grandpa type. As a (white) female, I actually felt very good about being in his class. A lot of the female grad students go to him if they're having climate/microaggression problems with others in the department, actually. Have you interacted with him in person much, or mostly e-mail/phone? I could see his true nature not really coming through if it was mainly the latter two. And, for the record, I disagree with him on just about everything, so I don't think that's why I like him! Hah.

That's good to hear! I've seen him give a couple talks, and I participated in a semester-long reading group with him. But, I never met with him one-on-one, which is perhaps more indicative of his real values. Thank you for sharing! :)

I emailed ASU HPS to ask about my status, and they said they've sent a recommendation to the school of life sciences that I be admitted with support, and that the approval of their recommendation is "largely pro forma"... so it looks like I have an admit from ASU HPS! 

34 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

I emailed ASU HPS to ask about my status, and they said they've sent a recommendation to the school of life sciences that I be admitted with support, and that the approval of their recommendation is "largely pro forma"... so it looks like I have an admit from ASU HPS! 

Congrats!

I've heard from an undergrad at Riverside who was inquiring into the matter with an admissions prof that they're only looking to have 4 people or so this year due to funding limitations. So, not to be a downer, but that might be it for them :/

Edited by AmandaEvans
wording