2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 hour ago, violaina said:

Princeton!! Yeah!!!! I m crying.....

Wow!, Congratulations!!

Not to immediately put the pressure on you, 'cuz it's a big decision, but I think a lot of ancients lurkers here who are wait listed at some of the places you've been admitted to would appreciate learning which 4 of the Pitt/Notre Dame/Arizona/Chicago/Princeton departments you intend to decline.   (There's a thread for that.)  Or, maybe a reminder to people that some declines at 4 of those places are on the way and that they might hold out hope before making their own decisions too soon.  Your decision will inevitably trigger a domino effect in the whole system of ancients slots available.  It's going to be crazy, lol.  :rolleyes:  

1 minute ago, Flipflophero said:

Kel - Do you know whether you are going to decline your offer from Indiana? :) 

That depends very much on Columbia.  If I don't make it off the Columbia wait list, I will most likely accept Indiana.  If I do make it off the wait list, it will still be a tough decision.

I have to admit that I want to go to Indiana the most.  I'm just told I'd be crazy to throw away Columbia and am dealing with that pressure..

1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That depends very much on Columbia.  If I don't make it off the Columbia wait list, I will most likely accept Indiana.  If I do make it off the wait list, it will still be a tough decision.

I have to admit that I want to go to Indiana the most.  I'm just told I'd be crazy to throw away Columbia and am dealing with that pressure..

Fair enough.

7 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Did all you lucky Princeton admits (congrats!!) receive a generic message or some kind of personalized e-mail? I assume there's no reason not to send all the e-mails out at once, but am surprised at the lack of posts (only 4 compared to 10-12 in previous years). 

It seemed pretty generic, but I was too in shock to notice. I thought they had mistaken me for somebody else. I'm still in shock, and I refuse to believe it!!! Please, nobody pinch me. Leave me be in peace.  

Edited by completeurprofile

I got into Princeton as well! (I'm about to post it on the results list.)

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Thanks.  Much appreciated.

So, my chances of rejecting the Columbia offer have gone up quite a lot. 

I feel so blessed. I cried on the fire escape of my philosophy building. My getting into Princeton was gravely important to me and my partner. 

1 hour ago, completeurprofile said:

It seemed pretty generic, but I was too in shock to notice. I thought they had mistaken me for somebody else. I'm still in shock, and I refuse to believe it!!! Please, nobody pinch me. Leave me be in peace.  

I triple-checked the email and worried if it had been meant for someone else....

20 minutes ago, Incregible said:

I feel so blessed. I cried on the fire escape of my philosophy building. My getting into Princeton was gravely important to me and my partner. 

Wow! Congrats—Princeton and Columbia—that is a huge achievement! 

If I may ask, what are your AOI? 

24 minutes ago, Incregible said:

Congratulations!  That is definitely something to be proud of.

I was just going to ask about your AOI and then saw someone else had already asked.  I hope you don't mind sharing.

5 hours ago, philoguy said:

Hey just wondering if anybody knows when sfsu or wisconsin-milwaukee might release

Regarding UW-M, from what I know, there are university-wide fellowships that current MA students are candidates for. If any of them receive a fellowship it brings more funding to the program. The dept takes that funding into account re: the number of students they can accept/fund...so I think they wait until after that is released. Supposedly, the university-wide fellowships are announced in the middle of March—so the decisions probably will be just after that. And, just for reference, when I was admitted I received my acceptance on March 18. But to be clear, this is also speculation...I'm not informed about the admission process details, so there may be (and probably are) other factors at play in the timing of the department releasing acceptance decisions.

1 hour ago, SamStone said:

Wow! Congrats—Princeton and Columbia—that is a huge achievement! 

If I may ask, what are your AOI? 

57 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Congratulations!  That is definitely something to be proud of.

I was just going to ask about your AOI and then saw someone else had already asked.  I hope you don't mind sharing.

Of course I don't mind sharing! Metaphysics and mind, mostly. Also connections to normativity and epistemology.

Edited by Incregible

1 hour ago, SamStone said:

Regarding UW-M, from what I know, there are university-wide fellowships that current MA students are candidates for. If any of them receive a fellowship it brings more funding to the program. The dept takes that funding into account re: the number of students they can accept/fund...so I think they wait until after that is released. Supposedly, the university-wide fellowships are announced in the middle of March—so the decisions probably will be just after that. And, just for reference, when I was admitted I received my acceptance on March 18. But to be clear, this is also speculation...I'm not informed about the admission process details, so there may be (and probably are) other factors at play in the timing of the department releasing acceptance decisions.

Really helpful, thanks so much!