2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

27 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Ah, my family (a father, a stay-at-home mom, and four kids) lived on less, so I'd take $30,000 any day of the week over the backbreaking manual labor my dad has done for $20,000~$25,000 per year for 30 straight years.

Edit: I fail to understand how anyone could think that 30K is a small sum for reading books, writing papers, and -- probably unsubstantial, at least in the first year -- teaching duties. Sorry for being 'pathetic.'

Well, I didn't say you were pathetic, or that anyone else is. I can tell you that my experience working as a graduate assistant in a large state university has ben nothing like what you describe. The teaching/grading workload is enormous.

4 hours ago, andrewrichmo said:

So I took what looks like Columbia's standard stipend from 2009 (judging by this: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2009/03/financial-aid-offers-for-phd-students-is-there-a-normal-amount-these-days.html) and plugged it into an inflation adjustor—one of the posters said the stipend was adjusted for inflation—and it looks like that would make it ~$24,900 today. I'm still holding out until I get the official offer, but if it's anything north of $20,000 I'm going to be thrilled.

I took the $30,000 from my Cornell offer, which is ~$25,000 plus ~$5,000 in the summer.  I expected Columbia would be about the same.  I'd be very surprised if it's less than $20,000/year…they know NYC isn't exactly a cheap place to live

5 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

CUNY is offering me 35k. 25k plus an extra 10k fellowship. 

In just the first year? Or annually? That's the most I've seen for a yearly amount, but i guess it's proportional to their teaching load. 

27 minutes ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

STANFOOOOOOOOORD!!!! =D =D =D

Same!  Congrats!! :) wasn't expecting a call at 10:30PM but I guess that's the beauty of time zones...

7 minutes ago, Abendstern said:

It's got to be annually, right? That's not actually that much in NYC. My first job here was 40k and I scraped by. Look at some cost of living comparisons to put that figure into perspective.

A lot of schools will give you recruitment fellowships for the first year (an extra 5k etc) to get you to choose them, so it's not necessarily annual. 

4 hours ago, smwinterfeldt said:

So I've been pretty quiet on the forums for the past few weeks because all I've been hearing so far is rejections.

That changed today. I was accepted to SUNY Buffalo and wait listed for funding. Unless I am accepted to either Rutgers or Missouri (with funding), I will likely accept Buffalo's offer. If anyone got accepted to Buffalo with funding and intends to turn it down, it would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats! One of my undergrad advisors went there. He turned out OK (if you like pragmatism, anyway).

Could any of the Columbia people give an indication of whether they plan to accept or decline?  I know we all just heard several hours ago, but I'm on the wait list, and it would be really helpful just to know if you're even considering turning it down.

5 hours ago, philosophe said:

In just the first year? Or annually? That's the most I've seen for a yearly amount, but i guess it's proportional to their teaching load. 

It's annual. It's a remarkably large stipend, I think. At least it's my largest offer by at least 10k, although Vanderbilt hasn't finalized their offer. Idk if it includes summer funding. 

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Could any of the Columbia people give an indication of whether they plan to accept or decline?  I know we all just heard several hours ago, but I'm on the wait list, and it would be really helpful just to know if you're even considering turning it down.

Not an acceptance, but I am on the wait list and will probably tell them that I don't plan to accept. 

Finally heard back from GSU - turns out that my acceptance email was re-directed to my spam folder :wacko: (thanks Gmail ...).  However, GSU sent a helpful second email out today telling people to check their spam folders.  

Turns out that I got accepted with a (generous) scholarship !  I am very grateful about that. 

14 minutes ago, Poetic Justice said:

Finally heard back from GSU - turns out that my acceptance email was re-directed to my spam folder :wacko: (thanks Gmail ...).  However, GSU sent a helpful second email out today telling people to check their spam folders.  

Turns out that I got accepted with a (generous) scholarship !  I am very grateful about that. 

Congrats, was pullling for you!

4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

There's roughly a 50/50 chance I'll turn it down. I'll post here if I do. 

5 hours ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Hey @doxazein918, are you also an 'ancient' person? (Just trying to hold my hopes up by assuming Stanford has only notified ancient people so far...)

All three of the posted Stanford acceptances so far are people working in ancient - so you're probably entirely justified in holding out hope :) 

15 hours ago, philosophe said:

Just completed a few for you :)

15 hours ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

When I try to view this, I can only see six results - it seems to cut off after USC, although I have to keep scrolling a while before I hit the bottom of the page. Is this a problem on my end, or have you only received six responses? :( 

Yep only 6. Thanks though. I'll add the rest later today.

1 hour ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

All three of the posted Stanford acceptances so far are people working in ancient - so you're probably entirely justified in holding out hope :) 

That's what I like to hear! Congrats on being accepted!! Combined with Chicago & Toronto you're having an incredible cycle!

1 hour ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

oh shit! is that true?!?!?! phew. 

7 hours ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Hey @doxazein918, are you also an 'ancient' person? (Just trying to hold my hopes up by assuming Stanford has only notified ancient people so far...)

Yes I am!  It would make sense if it were just ancient people:  I got a call from Chris Bobonich, not a standardized email or anything.

36 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

That's what I like to hear! Congrats on being accepted!! Combined with Chicago & Toronto you're having an incredible cycle!

Thank you! Compared with what happened to me last year, this is an entirely-welcomed - and entirely-unexpected - peripeteia!