2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

23 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

I went Fordham's online portal to formally decline their offer and I noticed that, had I decided to accept, I would be required to pay a $330 admissions deposit by April 15. Is this the case for all programs? That's a fat chunk of cash to shell out unexpectedly. If this process wasn't costly enough :( 

I've worked in admissions before and having a deposit to secure your spot is normal. It's to prevent people from telling schools they're coming and then not showing up. I expect the department will cover it, you should check in with whichever school you're planning to attend. 

p.s. Good of you to decline early. You're going to make many a wait lister very happy :)

Edited by philosophe

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

I've worked in admissions before and having a deposit to secure your spot is normal. It's to prevent people from telling schools they're coming and then not showing up. I expect the department will cover it, you should check in with whichever school you're planning to attend. 

p.s. Good of you to decline early. You're going to make many a wait lister very happy :)

That makes sense, I don't blame them. I'm just living on adjunct slave wages and preparing to move across the country. Bleh. 

46 minutes ago, philoguy said:

Hey all, I received an email a few hours ago letting me know I'd been accepted in GW's MA program! It's my first news and it's good news! It feels incredible!

fantastic news! Congrats!

53 minutes ago, philoguy said:

Hey all, I received an email a few hours ago letting me know I'd been accepted in GW's MA program! It's my first news and it's good news! It feels incredible!

Did they offer you a scholarship? Can you explain the details of your scholarship?

19 minutes ago, pecado said:

Did they offer you a scholarship? Can you explain the details of your scholarship?

The email was basically a quick update just letting me know I had been accepted and inquiring whether or not I'd be interested in visiting. It went on to say that more details and an official notification will be sent to me in the following week, so I'm sure any scholarship or funding will be offered then.

17 hours ago, lisamadura said:

I went Fordham's online portal to formally decline their offer and I noticed that, had I decided to accept, I would be required to pay a $330 admissions deposit by April 15. Is this the case for all programs? That's a fat chunk of cash to shell out unexpectedly. If this process wasn't costly enough :( 

Why did you decline? Which other university did you prefer?

4 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Another pronunciation question (maybe you Johns Hopkins admits can help). How do you pronounce "Hent de Vries". Is it "vreez" or 'Vry". or "Vree". I don't know the first thing about Dutch phonetics. 

In English I would pronounce it "free". In Dutch, it's got the uvular fricative (think German r) after the f.

Also, would someone like to claim the admission to a Philosophy PhD at Philosophy that was just posted? :P

2 minutes ago, gughok said:

In English I would pronounce it "free". In Dutch, it's got the uvular fricative (think German r) after the f.

Also, would someone like to claim the admission to a Philosophy PhD at Philosophy that was just posted? :P

I'll claim the total fail -- though I hear the program is quite competitive :P (Clearly, I have not had enough coffee yet.)

5 minutes ago, pecado said:

Why did you decline? Which other university did you prefer?

I could have been happy at Fordham but the other programs that I've been accepted to are a better fit for my broad interests. Right now Villanova, Penn State, Vanderbilt, and Emory have my attention. Stony Brook is not out of the running, though. Campus visits will be crucial for the final decision. 

13 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Another pronunciation question (maybe you Johns Hopkins admits can help). How do you pronounce "Hent de Vries". Is it "vreez" or 'Vry". or "Vree". I don't know the first thing about Dutch phonetics. 

Not a JH admit :P, but Dutch does happen to be my native language. Gughok is right about the r sound, but keep in mind the s in de Vries is not silent, nor pronounced as a z, but rather like the 's' in 'snake'. Hope that helps :)

1 minute ago, Siegfried42 said:

Not a JH admit :P, but Dutch does happen to be my native language. Gughok is right about the r sound, but keep in mind the s in de Vries is not silent, nor pronounced as a z, but rather like the 's' in 'snake'. Hope that helps :)

Oh, sorry! It has been a while since I've studied Dutch, it would seem.

1 minute ago, Siegfried42 said:

Rad! I'm presenting a paper today and I quote him in it. I want to make sure I don't butcher his name. I realized I've been pronouncing it my head as if it were a french name. I was way off target. 

7 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Rad! I'm presenting a paper today and I quote him in it. I want to make sure I don't butcher his name. I realized I've been pronouncing it my head as if it were a french name. I was way off target. 

Dutch pronunciation is tricky, lol. I very rarely hear anyone say anything correctly (poor, poor Van Gogh!), so do not worry :P I forgot to say the v is just a v sound btw, not an f. Sometimes it's simpler than you think :) Good luck on the presentation!!

Edited by Siegfried42