2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

18 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

Hoping that means something good for you!

I saw a couple of GC results that said they checked the website--I checked and mine still says "submitted." Then I remembered I applied to their HPS program which I genuinely can't remember if it's a separate department or not. But I guess apparently it is? That's my best explanation.

(Despite the fact that positing the existence of departments which may or may not exist is blatantly contrary to abductive reasoning)

Forgot that today was Friday, accidentally ate meat at dinner. Accordingly, there was an e-mail from Notre Dame waiting for me at home telling me I was a bad Catholic, God was displeased, and so I couldn't be in their program. Ah well. 

Come on UConn. 

1 hour ago, MickeyRay said:

What's your writing sample look like?

Pretty shit, I would guess, given how I'm nearly striking out everywhere. I wrote it in three days and the two professors I asked for help on it couldn't be bothered to give me more than one round of very loose feedback each.

1 minute ago, gughok said:

Pretty shit, I would guess, given how I'm nearly striking out everywhere. I wrote it in three days and the two professors I asked for help on it couldn't be bothered to give me more than one round of very loose feedback each.

Yeah, so your numbers are great and that will help you... but it wont compensate for the three most important factors: AOI, recommendations, writing sample. It has gotta read as publishable, not just that youre a good writer. It has to be a worthy, strong, original argument, engage with a relevant and current conversation that people are interested in, and its gotta be clear and polished enough to stand out against 400 others.

5 minutes ago, gughok said:

You are in at Harvard.