2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

10 hours ago, philstudent1992 said:

Here's something that someone else said that might be relevant:

"I did hear from a somewhat reliable source that UNC has had a very busy month/week and, out of the interest of time, might be accepting/waitlisting/rejecting as they go along, rather than solidifying define accept/waitlist/reject pools. So that's encouraging. But the source was a friend of a friend who happens to be a professor at UNC but isn't on the admissions committee... So who knows?

Edit: That was worded confusingly. I heard from a guy, with whom I happen to be friends, who is himself friends with someone tangentially connected to the phil department at UNC but isn't on the adcomm. I'm not friends with anyone on the phil faculty at UNC, as my original wording might have suggested. I'm just a lowly undergrad at a different school."

9 hours ago, jacbarcan said:

I'm pretty sure they're done, but I'm not entirely sure. I have a good source and they don't typically do waves of releases (even if they are busy). 

Yes, UNC is done making offers.  We sent notifications to all admitted students and all those on the waitlist.  Sorry about that, but best of luck with your other apps!

10 hours ago, sneakysombrero said:

Is Yale definitely done with its offers?

I don't know, but will guess "probably", since in past years acceptances have been posted more or less all at once, save a few late posters who presumably got in from the waitlist.

Personally, I've decided that if (if) I'm lucky enough to get a phone call from any of the places I've applied to, I'll try to edge in a question about whether/when all acceptances are going out. Then report here.

Edited by gughok

1 minute ago, Siegfried42 said:

Just noticed somebody posted a UCLA wait list. That means they're done sending out acceptances right? There were some mixed messages about that before..

I'd assume so :/ I want more info on the WL though... when it was received, etc. 

Just now, personagrata said:

The WL to UCLA post was me. I received an e-mail from John Carriero 2/16 saying I had a "strong application"-- not sure what my next steps will be in order to get accepted! Any advice on how to follow up on a wait-list notification? I'm very interested in UCLA's JD/PhD program. 

I replied enthusiastically to all my WL notifications. You can ask about whether or not the WL is ranked, or whether you're closer to the top of the bottom. Congrats, I'm very jealous. 

6 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I replied enthusiastically to all my WL notifications. You can ask about whether or not the WL is ranked, or whether you're closer to the top of the bottom. Congrats, I'm very jealous. 

That's helpful. Thank you very much. I responded that I was very interested, but I didn't ask about the wait-list. I assumed that I was fairly high because I've been creeping on grad cafe and didn't see anyone else post about the waitlist. Stanford and UCLA are my dream programs!

47 minutes ago, personagrata said:

That's helpful. Thank you very much. I responded that I was very interested, but I didn't ask about the wait-list. I assumed that I was fairly high because I've been creeping on grad cafe and didn't see anyone else post about the waitlist. Stanford and UCLA are my dream programs!

Thanks for letting us know! Did you apply to the JD/PhD at Stanford too?

Yes! I applied to the JD/PhD programs at 10 schools spread out across the top 50...some with formal dual degree programs, some without. 

Good luck! I also applied to many programs, but it's hard to find a school with a good philosophy program that also has a top law department. For law, I really don't want to go much below the T14 (except UCLA/Notre Dame), but for philosophy those same schools are mostly hopelessly out of reach. Unless by some miracle I end up being accepted at one of my remaining applications, I think I will go to Colorado's Ph.D. program and move on to law school afterwards. Have you had any luck with a dual program admission so far?

8 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Good luck! I also applied to many programs, but it's hard to find a school with a good philosophy program that also has a top law department. For law, I really don't want to go much below the T14 (except UCLA/Notre Dame), but for philosophy those same schools are mostly hopelessly out of reach. Unless by some miracle I end up being accepted at one of my remaining applications, I think I will go to Colorado's Ph.D. program and move on to law school afterwards. Have you had any luck with a dual program admission so far?

Congrats on getting into Colorado! I haven't had any acceptances on both sides, but I've had one PhD acceptance (Georgetown) and one law school acceptance (UT Austin). I was a bit late on getting my law school apps out. I'm also aiming for some top 14 schools, and I'm really hoping they're not out of reach. I'm starting to wonder if I should have applied to MA programs, but I think getting waitlisted at UCLA bodes well. 

Congrats on getting into Colorado! I haven't had any acceptances on both sides, but I've had one PhD acceptance (Georgetown) and one law school acceptance (UT Austin). I was a bit late on getting my law school apps out. I'm also aiming for some top 14 schools, and I'm really hoping they're not out of reach. I'm starting to wonder if I should have applied to MA programs, but I think getting waitlisted at UCLA bodes well. 

Thanks - it sounds like a good program and it's a great place to live! Congrats on Georgetown, that's awesome! You applied to their law school, right? If you got into UT-Austin you stand a great chance of getting into Georgetown too, I think. Law admissions are a lot more predictable than PhD programs, since they're focused so much on your numerical credentials in relation to the school's medians. 

Getting wait listed at UCLA (top 10 PGR!) means you must be very well qualified, so I would not be worried about the need to apply to MA's!

5 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Thanks - it sounds like a good program and it's a great place to live! Congrats on Georgetown, that's awesome! You applied to their law school, right? If you got into UT-Austin you stand a great chance of getting into Georgetown too, I think. Law admissions are a lot more predictable than PhD programs, since they're focused so much on your numerical credentials in relation to the school's medians. 

Getting wait listed at UCLA (top 10 PGR!) means you must be very well qualified, so I would not be worried about the need to apply to MA's!

Yes! I visited Colorado this summer, and it was beautiful. I applied to Georgetown Law, but I only submitted that app a few days ago. Thanks so much for your support--the waiting game is hard! Best of luck to you with your remaining applications!

12 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Just wanted to say a quick good luck to all as the new week begins! Hopefully acceptances in all our futures!

Yes! I have only rejections thus far. But have yet to hear from over half the programs I applied to; but the majority of those left are predicted to release this week. So this week will be a good week, I hope!

Good luck everyone!