Venting Thread

dgswaim

6 hours ago, lisamadura said:

To answer your question: maybe. But more importantly, I would like to acknowledge your very clever Bon Jovi reference in lieu of "Applied 2016." 

Well, one rejection down, so I'm also "halfway there"

Here to vent about USC. I was all set to be rejected, but after 3 days where others were rejected and my decision wasn't rendered, I was steadily more optimistic. Woke up this morning to no email, checked the website, and my rejection letter was waiting. 

Someone needs to teach these folks how to use computers. It turns out that there's an easy way to send rejection letters all at once... but no, had to do it the false hope route. 

/end rant/

5 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Here to vent about USC. I was all set to be rejected, but after 3 days where others were rejected and my decision wasn't rendered, I was steadily more optimistic. Woke up this morning to no email, checked the website, and my rejection letter was waiting. 

Someone needs to teach these folks how to use computers. It turns out that there's an easy way to send rejection letters all at once... but no, had to do it the false hope route. 

/end rant/

SAME SAME SAME. Very frustrating.

22 minutes ago, metaphysician said:

Folks, I hope this works out. Things are so stressful at home. If I'm admitted somewhere, I can leave in September. If not, I need to rethink. 

Wishing you the best of luck, with all my heart. I know it's not much consolation, but in two months or so, it'll be over either way. It's always easier to make plans once you actually know what's going on.

51 minutes ago, metaphysician said:

Folks, I hope this works out. Things are so stressful at home. If I'm admitted somewhere, I can leave in September. If not, I need to rethink. 

I'm sorry to hear that. One thing I wish was more universally recognized was how much bullshit many of us are dealing with aside from the simple academics. Good luck to you! 

I just got an email entitled "Penn Philosophy Admissions," and my heart almost stopped, and then it was just the DGS acknowledging that I'd already acknowledged that I'm on the waiting list. GAAAAHHHH!!!

1 hour ago, dgswaim said:

I just got an email entitled "Penn Philosophy Admissions," and my heart almost stopped, and then it was just the DGS acknowledging that I'd already acknowledged that I'm on the waiting list. GAAAAHHHH!!!

Ooh. I'm sorry. I have had similar experiences recently. 

23 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

There's this place I just discovered with flavored vodka in midtown Manhattan. For anyone going to grad school in NYC yeah, let me know. This place was fantastic. Or, like, anyone visiting. We'll go. 

If anyone comes to Baton Rouge because of... like... reasons and stuff, my treat at Corporate Brew and Draft!

94 craft beers on tap, including a lot of stuff with very limited distribution and special caskings!

37 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

If you go to Vandy, let me know and I'll tell you the cool Nashville spots.

Awesome. I might take you up on that! 

Also, by "flavored vodka" I mean infused vodka. It's all homemade. Pretty sure they have some weird sketchy stuff going on but there was a dude singing russian songs and some of the vodkas were really good. I tried very many of them. The problem, of course, is that it's in midtown.

2 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Awesome. I might take you up on that! 

Also, by "flavored vodka" I mean infused vodka. It's all homemade. Pretty sure they have some weird sketchy stuff going on but there was a dude singing russian songs and some of the vodkas were really good. I tried very many of them. The problem, of course, is that it's in midtown.

Here's how you do it on the cheap, without needing a fancy manhattan bar.

Needs:
0.5L Spiritus (it's Polish grain alcohol - it's like 97% alcohol by volume)
1L Vodka (get the good quality stuff because it matters)
1Kg of Raspberries
1Kg of Sugar

You throw that sugar onto the raspberries, in a big ol' jug. You stir that stuff around, and then leave it for a day or two to let the sugar dissolve in the juices of the raspberries.
Once this occurs, you throw the spiritus and vodka in there, give it a stir, then close the jar, putting a clean tea-towel between the jar and the lid so it isn't sealed. Set it aside for sixish months. Strain the raspberries out - then pour the liquor into bottles (glass ones that you can seal). Leave it closed in a dark cool place for another 6 months (up to a year - the longer the better, really). Then, drink that stuff as an aperitif, digestif, or just, like, whenever. It's delicious.

Edit: Oh man, just realized that I am really getting desperate for some news.. 
It works well for most fruits (berries are hella good though). 

Edited by majorshake

7 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Once this occurs, you throw the spiritus and vodka in there, give it a stir, then close the jar, putting a clean tea-towel between the jar and the lid so it isn't sealed. Set it aside for sixish months. Strain the raspberries out - then pour the liquor into bottles (glass ones that you can seal). Leave it closed in a dark cool place for another 6 months (up to a year - the longer the better, really). Then, drink that stuff as an aperitif, digestif, or just, like, whenever. It's delicious.

Edit: Oh man, just realized that I am really getting desperate for some news.. 
It works well for most fruits (berries are hella good though). 

At least we'll all definitely have heard back by the time it's ready!

Just now, hot.glass said:

At least we'll all definitely have heard back by the time it's ready!

If I get in somewhere, anywhere, I'll put on a batch on my first day, and have a great party after my last.

Just now, majorshake said:

If I get in somewhere, anywhere, I'll put on a batch on my first day, and have a great party after my last.

That's actually a really cool idea. Let's do this!

Oh man. Still 6 out of 7 applications outstanding. I really, really need a win this week... I'm not getting any work done, I'm not sleeping well, my chest feels like it's in a vice all the time. This whole process is cruel and unusual.

Edited by bechkafish

14 minutes ago, bechkafish said:

Oh man. Still 6 out of 7 applications outstanding. I really, really need a win this week... I'm not getting any work done, I'm not sleeping well, my chest feels like it's in a vice all the time. This whole process is cruel and unusual.

Ugh. It really does suck. I have been trying to distract myself from this cruel process, but nothing works. I hope this week ends with a win for both of us.

23 minutes ago, bechkafish said:

It gets better the second year

I feel really sick after last night's vodka escapade. Turns out that it was dangerously tasty. I had to visit a professor at my undergrad today and o only had the energy to speak to him for a few seconds. 

If anyone wants to stop feeling anxious about responses, I highly recommend sitting in your undergrad cafeteria with a hangover from 19th century style infused vodkas. Now I have to go to the Met museum and give a tour of the Greek and Roman wing. Kill me now. I've been converted to nihilism by the pain of existence. 

23 hours ago, bechkafish said:

Wishing you the best of luck, with all my heart. I know it's not much consolation, but in two months or so, it'll be over either way. It's always easier to make plans once you actually know what's going on.

22 hours ago, psm1580b said:

I'm sorry to hear that. One thing I wish was more universally recognized was how much bullshit many of us are dealing with aside from the simple academics. Good luck to you! 

Thanks for your thoughts! I hope it works out for you, too. I'm sure I'll be fine (even if I'm not admitted). I wrote last night's post when I was exhausted. A walk and some sleep helps. Good luck, everyone!