Venting Thread

dgswaim

8 hours ago, Abendstern said:

I think you guys are reading way too far into this. Hits mean nothing (especially ones from New York). Honestly, in your case that could have been me. I was just in Arizona and I looked at your Academia profile after I clicked on the writing sample from your signature. I am very sure that great majority of professors couldn't care less about Googling us. There's a discussion on Leiter's blog about this in case you don't believe me: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2010/01/do-phd-admissions-committees-google-applicants.html

Edit: The upshot of the Leiter discussion was that you are far more likely to be Googled by current grad students or your fellow applicants than any professor.

While I think academia.edu hits may mean nothing I am not convinced of that. But, FWIW I had a hit from academia.edu from Nashville and I wasn't accepted to Vanderbilt. It may be me but I rarely get hits. I have only got them when I was going to a conference or something. It may be because I have a very rare name: I know only one other person with my first name and I am named after her! My last name and first name have different ethnic origins.  I saw that article before but six years seems long enough time that the culture of admissions could have changed--younger professors will probably me likely to google applicants compared to the older full professors. There are however multiple contingencies to keep in mind.

Edited by Hermione27

4 minutes ago, Abendstern said:

You don't think someone from this forum could have been that hit? Without exaggeration, just now it took me less than a minute to find your Academia profile.

Oh! Do me! Do me! I wanna know how long it takes to find me. 

31 minutes ago, Abendstern said:

You don't think someone from this forum could have been that hit? Without exaggeration, just now it took me less than a minute to find your Academia profile.

i said there are many factors to keep in mind. Never said it was impossible. I am not sure why you are sensitive to disagreement. 

39 minutes ago, Abendstern said:

I already know who you are! haha. We have a mutual friend. Speaking of which, should we organize a NYC meet up?

Oh, you're he guy we were supposed to hang out with yesterday? Small world. 

I don't put a lot of stock in it, rather it is just titillating to think that the programs are showing interest in you. I think after you've been accepted such hits could be coming from faculty. For instance, last night, immediately after some e-mail correspondence with faculty at one school, I got a hit from the location of that program. I have little doubt that it was the prof. googling me.

13 hours ago, Dialectica said:

As happy as I am for those folks with academia.edu hits, an uneasy thought keeps cropping up, namely,  that such hits are a necessary condition for being admitted. I'd like to think that's false, and I have a hunch it is. But, still, it's hard to not be confronted with that thought. 

lol, its ok. when people google me they're just going to get my unacademic twitter account, where I largely tweet about how cute certain dogs are.... 

13 minutes ago, philosophe said:

lol, its ok. when people google me they're just going to get my unacademic twitter account, where I largely tweet about how cute certain dogs are.... 

Yes, but they'd be googling you; that's what's important. Also, that's a respectable tweeting subject. If you were tweeting about how cute hitler was, well, you know...that's...different.

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

Isn't it true that Mike Huckabee kind of looks like Hitler?

e: Someone said something about Hitler being cute. But this is directed at the whole board.  

Edited by MVSCZAR

2 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Isn't it true that Mike Huckabee kind of looks like Hitler?

e: Someone said something about Hitler being cute. But this is directed at the whole board.  

I see it. They also have some personal characteristics in common! 

p.s. Huckabee is a bit rounder, though.

3 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

The lack of releases is breaking my heart. So ready for today to be big. 

Yes... I received 7 emails over the last 15 minutes none of which contained an admission, lol. Though, the lack of a message from Georgetown breaks my heart more than the silence from Stanford/Yale... At least those hopes aren't crushed yet :P

Here's the post on the philosophy admissions blog for the corresponding Friday last year (Feb 20 2015)

"That makes this Friday quite a day for important releases – NYU, Yale, Harvard, USC, and Fordham all released today. Perhaps we’ll see a couple more over the weekend. Exciting times nonetheless, and congratulations to everyone who received offers today."

ugh.

https://philosophyadmissions.wordpress.com/2015/02/20/new-york-university/

Edited by o m g

32 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Aren't you applying for their Ph.D.? It looks like they're only sending out MA acceptances at the moment...

Do they release MAs before PhDs? I thought it was normally the other way around. 

1 minute ago, MVSCZAR said:

Do they release MAs before PhDs? I thought it was normally the other way around. 

I'm calling BS on the MA postings. PhDs usually go out first and they haven't yet (someone here sourced that they wouldn't come out until March), and MAs have never been earlier than March. Nobody is claiming them, and I don't see anything on my application status. Very likely fake, especially given the one poster mentioned "smaller school". Toronto is the exact opposite of a small school.

50 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

Anyone else here getting emails from "Matt Giles, Admissions"? Because I really don't want to become a leader in health administration... 

Lol, yes! They've been spamming my e-mail since this summer.