Venting Thread

dgswaim

3 hours ago, AgentScully said:

Hah, its weird, I'm so thrilled about my offers, but I really want to be accepted off Harvard's WL. Hope things work out for you philstudent!

You're going to make so many WLsters happy when you choose a school. Must be nice!

7 hours ago, bechkafish said:

I was incredibly depressed today after the news from Brown, so my brother came over after work and brought me a sandwich and we played N64 Mario Kart. Thank goodness that boy moved to the same city as me...

What kind of sandwich? 

On my way to visit the department at U of Cincinnati. If I can somehow manage to go two days without saying anything stupid and thereby making a horrible first impression, I will be impressed with myself.

8 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

What kind of sandwich? 

Chicken parmesan - the king of sandwiches.

32 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

On my way to visit the department at U of Cincinnati. If I can somehow manage to go two days without saying anything stupid and thereby making a horrible first impression, I will be impressed with myself.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do wonderfully. :)

1 hour ago, bechkafish said:

0a / 0w / 4r [7]

I am legit living my nightmare. What is even happening.

Bechkafish, stahp! You've got a few to hear back from, and you're great. I think you're great. Come to NY and we'll eat tacos and talk shit about nerdy adcoms. 

3 hours ago, dgswaim said:

You and me both...

10 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Okay, Bernie. I'm all for a political revolution. But: please don't keep e-mailing me about it while I'm waiting for grad school admissions :mellow:

I feel the same way about all these spam phone calls I keep getting (aside from the fact that they're definitely not geared toward political revolution)!! Taking it one email/phone call at a time. 

13 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Okay, Bernie. I'm all for a political revolution. But: please don't keep e-mailing me about it while I'm waiting for grad school admissions :mellow:

Omg yes! I was gonna do some calling but, last week, I was getting calls from someone in NH and started to hate Bernie because of the amount of times my heart almost exploded. 

Also, I just got a call from some (646) 666-4284, and the call dropped when I picked up. So I looked it up and saw that the owner lives around Morningside Heights and I was like "homygawd Columbia." And then I called and it's like some fucking lawyer or something. Argh. 666 is damn right. 

I'm here to vent about myself. I'm so irrational. I applied to these four big schools with knowledge that the odds I'd get in were slim to none. I don't have a masters, and I'm competing against people with masters. I come from a piece of shit undergrad because it's all I could afford, and I'm competing against people with amazing pedigrees. All this evidence allowed me to conclude that I should not get my hopes up about these four schools. And this worked, for the most part. I am not upset about my presumed rejection from Yale, and I won't be upset about my impending rejections from Stanford and Princeton. But for some some irrational reason, I got my hopes up for MIT. How do I know this happened? Because as the acceptances come up on the results page, I'm getting upset. And then I get more upset for getting upset. And I'm pissed at myself because I have a great offer from Duke, and there are other people who are worse off than I am because they haven't heard any good news. So I'm upset at myself for not appreciating what I have. 

Waiting for the phone call from MIT is like waiting for my much more popular high school crush to text me back. It's never going to happen, and I NEED to get this through my thick skull. 

6 minutes ago, abisch said:

I'm here to vent about myself. I'm so irrational. I applied to these four big schools with knowledge that the odds I'd get in were slim to none. I don't have a masters, and I'm competing against people with masters. I come from a piece of shit undergrad because it's all I could afford, and I'm competing against people with amazing pedigrees. All this evidence allowed me to conclude that I should not get my hopes up about these four schools. And this worked, for the most part. I am not upset about my presumed rejection from Yale, and I won't be upset about my impending rejections from Stanford and Princeton. But for some some irrational reason, I got my hopes up for MIT. How do I know this happened? Because as the acceptances come up on the results page, I'm getting upset. And then I get more upset for getting upset. And I'm pissed at myself because I have a great offer from Duke, and there are other people who are worse off than I am because they haven't heard any good news. So I'm upset at myself for not appreciating what I have. 

Waiting for the phone call from MIT is like waiting for my much more popular high school crush to text me back. It's never going to happen, and I NEED to get this through my thick skull. 

I know what you mean and I think a lot of us are feeling this. It's hard to be happy with what we have because there's something better (or simply something else) that is right around the corner. I know a lot of us are feeling that even with schools we would prefer less than some schools we're already in. 

I'm not exactly sure what the best advice here is. Look at what you have. Start researching those schools again and remind yourself of how amazing it is that you've gotten in. Get excited again about getting the chance to fly out.

I missed a call from one of my schools and got a really sweet voicemail. I still have the voicemail saved and listen to it again when I start feeling greedy and anxious. Maybe this can help you stop stalking your phone because if you get that voice message you might be able to listen again and again at a POI or DGS saying they have good news to give you. 

Reread an email you got and get excited and dance around again and go buy yourself a steak or something and really celebrate the fact that you did it. 

I know that not all of this will work and that maybe none of it will, but try to find a way to get excited again for just a moment. 

Even posting again on TGC Acceptance forum and say, "guess what? I got into DUKE and WOOOOOODLOOOO!!!" People will be excited for you again and that'll feel good. 

2 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

I know what you mean and I think a lot of us are feeling this. It's hard to be happy with what we have because there's something better (or simply something else) that is right around the corner. I know a lot of us are feeling that even with schools we would prefer less than some schools we're already in. 

I'm not exactly sure what the best advice here is. Look at what you have. Start researching those schools again and remind yourself of how amazing it is that you've gotten in. Get excited again about getting the chance to fly out.

I missed a call from one of my schools and got a really sweet voicemail. I still have the voicemail saved and listen to it again when I start feeling greedy and anxious. Maybe this can help you stop stalking your phone because if you get that voice message you might be able to listen again and again at a POI or DGS saying they have good news to give you. 

Reread an email you got and get excited and dance around again and go buy yourself a steak or something and really celebrate the fact that you did it. 

I know that not all of this will work and that maybe none of it will, but try to find a way to get excited again for just a moment. 

Even posting again on TGC Acceptance forum and say, "guess what? I got into DUKE and WOOOOOODLOOOO!!!" People will be excited for you again and that'll feel good. 

It is hard to keep hopes up, for sure. Right now, I only have one WL. That's it. Out of 10 schools, one so far has said, "Eh, you may not be that bad, but lets not make any commitment yet..." 

So basically, I feel as happy as the guy who proposed to his partner on bended knee and hears them respond, "Eh, you may not be that bad, but lets not make any commitments yet..." 

5 minutes ago, DontGetMeSartred said:

2016 Philosophy Admissions Season: A Short Documentary

It's very apropros that there's someone watching with stifled laughter, making no attempt to help their fallen fellows: enter the admissions committees.

10 hours ago, currentphilgrad said:

My vent for the day: Come on CUNY!!!!! Start calling more people aka me!

I hope they call you!! 

They may have called me extra early. I do go to CUNY Hunter, after all. 

I've got half-question half-rant:

What do the international students do about booking flights to the US for campus visits if they haven't yet heard back from all their schools, but the flights' prices keep going up (and the schools that replied early want to know asap when exactly you're visiting)? Ughh. 

Edited by AnotherKantFan

This suggestion is probably only marginally helpful but--if you book a round trip ticket for a large enough window to fit all your visits in, you can then book much less expensive domestic flights between schools in that window. You might even be able to keep staying with grad students or something between visits? idk.  For the domestic flights, airlines like Southwest have no change fees, so if you need to rearrange things after you get more news, you can.  Also there are websites with student discounts on tickets, like studentuniverse.com. 

Congrats on your good (though understandably frustrating in another sense) problem to be having!!