Venting Thread

dgswaim

1 hour ago, bechkafish said:

Brown is going to kill me. Is there any reason to believe that more acceptances will go out? :mellow:

So far, all 3 acceptances posted on the results page are from international students. Most schools admit more american than international students, so this is surprising. Maybe it's a sign that there's still hope if you're an american student?

6 hours ago, oldmanPhDStudent said:

I don't want to vent too much, but I just had a minor freakout. In monitoring my apps outstanding, I discovered that today my app was marked "Incomplete." Now I have taken great pains to pay close attention and follow all instructions, so I was very concerned. It was one of those schools that the phil. department instructed me to send transcripts to a certain place, and the official app to another; long story short, I apparently have chosen poorly. Anyway, I noticed that it may take 2-3 weeks for my documents to be recognized. I should have double-checked; it was likely a "both-and" rather than "either-or" and I just didn't clarify. Doh!

So I received word back from the head of the department's admissions: she reassured me they have my transcripts, so it's all good. So I just went briefly insane and probably looked it; I did manage to keep the emails succinct and polite, so hopefully I didn't come off poorly. I am quite relieved, to say the least! :)

1 minute ago, oldmanPhDStudent said:

Sorry to hear this! :(

:( It's okay. It could be worse. It just sucks that I'm getting rejected from all the programs where I explicitly stated I wanted to do ancient philosophy. I've gotten into a few really great continental programs, but I'm starting to think it might be because one of my rec letter writers is just really well known in those circles. Sort of a bummer. 

1 minute ago, MVSCZAR said:

:( It's okay. It could be worse. It just sucks that I'm getting rejected from all the programs where I explicitly stated I wanted to do ancient philosophy. I've gotten into a few really great continental programs, but I'm starting to think it might be because one of my rec letter writers is just really well known in those circles. Sort of a bummer. 

Ah, I see. I was wondering, since I saw four or so acceptances. If you don't mind, which of the four are you leaning toward the most at this point? Or are you going to wait to see about the others first?

5 minutes ago, oldmanPhDStudent said:

Ah, I see. I was wondering, since I saw four or so acceptances. If you don't mind, which of the four are you leaning toward the most at this point? Or are you going to wait to see about the others first?

Honestly, depending on the time of day, I might give you a different answer. I think I'm going to wait until I hear back, and I'm planning on visiting all of the schools I get into as well. I'm trying to make decisions as soon as possible because I know a lot of people are on the waiting lists. 

Just now, jacbarcan said:

They usually spread acceptances and wait lists over a couple of days, but there have been a lot of posts about it. I don't know. 

Fingers crossed! Although their placement record doesn't seem quite as strong Pitt's and I'm ambivalent at best towards Boston/Cambridge, it's really the only program that might make me reconsider Pitt (except, of course, UNC, which I'm certain I was rejected by).

40 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Fingers crossed! Although their placement record doesn't seem quite as strong Pitt's and I'm ambivalent at best towards Boston/Cambridge, it's really the only program that might make me reconsider Pitt (except, of course, UNC, which I'm certain I was rejected by).

I would trade you UNC for Yale.

15 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I don't even have words for the venting I need right now. ;adjksfa;lsdfjaoei;jfaeokjfsdlkfjadlksjfdksjfaljf;akds  hem hem. ok, I'm feeling a bit better. 

I agree with that. 

26 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

But that would destroy all of the procrastinating we get done on TGC!

I'd surely find other ways! 

10 minutes ago, philstudent1991 said:

I'm just going to change my identity to @AgentScully and take one of the offers you don't want. Hope that's okay!

Hah, its weird, I'm so thrilled about my offers, but I really want to be accepted off Harvard's WL. Hope things work out for you philstudent!