Portland State University MSW

BrendonSW

The verdict is in and I have been rejected. Although I should be more disappointed, I expected it due to my lack of experience. Luckily, I've been accepted to NYU and the Univ. of Michigan. I wish PSU would've offered me admission, but this means an extra seat for one of you  ;) Best of luck, guys! Fingers crossed you all get better news. 

26 minutes ago, BrendonSW said:

The verdict is in and I have been rejected. Although I should be more disappointed, I expected it due to my lack of experience. Luckily, I've been accepted to NYU and the Univ. of Michigan. I wish PSU would've offered me admission, but this means an extra seat for one of you  ;) Best of luck, guys! Fingers crossed you all get better news. 

Sorry to hear that - you were accepted into two other great schools so that's awesome! Best of luck to you!

58 minutes ago, kmarks1 said:

I'm still waiting too! Which program did you apply for?

I applied for the IRL 2 year program. Like I was telling @BrendonSW (I'm sorry to hear about your bad news!! At least you have other colleges..) in another thread, I am really uncertain of my chances of being accepted. My top choice is UW, since I am from Seattle... but I was really hoping to hear back from PSU earlier so I could figure out my housing situation up here. 2016 is kicking my butt and waiting for this e-mail is torment. Did you apply for 2 year as well?

Edited by LAT

I am at PSU right now!  I married someone who graduated from Murfreesbor's College, LOL too. Such a small world.

Maybe someone is at Sacramento State right now reading this or Fresno, where I plan to apply in about 24 months.

7 minutes ago, LAT said:

I applied for the IRL 2 year program. Like I was telling @BrendonSW (I'm sorry to hear about your bad news!! At least you have other colleges..) in another thread, I am really uncertain of my chances of being accepted. My top choice is UW, since I am from Seattle... but I was really hoping to hear back from PSU earlier so I could figure out my housing situation up here. 2016 is kicking my butt and waiting for this e-mail is torment. Did you apply for 2 year as well?

I applied for the online program since I currently work full time in Eugene. They don't accept very many people to their online program so I'm really nervous! 

I'm right there with you @kmarks1, knowing there are only 40 spots for the online option is killing me. But it was really the only option that made sense for me since I'm already in the field and want to continue working for as long as possible. The competition is fierce! @BrendonSW I'm sorry PSU didn't offer you a place but I know you'll do great things at NYU or U of Michigan!

2 hours ago, AmandaN said:

I'm right there with you @kmarks1, knowing there are only 40 spots for the online option is killing me. But it was really the only option that made sense for me since I'm already in the field and want to continue working for as long as possible. The competition is fierce! @BrendonSW I'm sorry PSU didn't offer you a place but I know you'll do great things at NYU or U of Michigan!

Yeah, it was pretty much the only option for me too. Good luck to you!

5 hours ago, AmandaN said:

Holy.. only 40 spots?! For online?! That's crazy

@Mommy2boox2 It's totally okay. I knew it'd be a long shot without experience other than an internship. But I'm thinking the University of Michigan. I'd love to go to NYU but Mich. has the exact program I want (macro/community-based). I really like NYU's emphasis on research and policy, but as long as $$ is there, I think I'll end up in Michigan. 

I should know my entire financial aid package for Michigan by March 1, so I'll update then! 

@BrendonSW well--keep us posted for sure! For the record, I thought your experience was really interesting.

I spent much of the day talking with my employer about tuition reimbursement, how they would view PSU vs. WNMU on a resume and how I should go about deciding should I get into both. Their response was overwhelmingly PSU. So, after combing their website one more time and looking at the tuition cost, (it's more like 15k difference not 20k and their Employed Social Worker option for some of the field work was pretty appealing) I did go ahead and accept. Sort of a relief. Going to be a LOT of peanut butter and jellies in my future...

Is anyone else on here waiting for word on the PSU online MSW option too? @kmarks1 and @AmandaN looks like you're both applying? @LAT, are you doing the online option?

@Mommy2boox2 I'm glad you're going with PSU and can now relax and bask in your acceptance, you've earned some serious celebrating :) I did apply for the online option but since my last letter of recommendation wasn't submitted unti mid-January I don't expect to hear anything until April. I'm not feeling very confident, I'm a little worried that I'm too run of the mill/vanilla to stand out from the other applicants. But we'll see!

2 hours ago, Mommy2boox2 said:

@BrendonSW well--keep us posted for sure! For the record, I thought your experience was really interesting.

I spent much of the day talking with my employer about tuition reimbursement, how they would view PSU vs. WNMU on a resume and how I should go about deciding should I get into both. Their response was overwhelmingly PSU. So, after combing their website one more time and looking at the tuition cost, (it's more like 15k difference not 20k and their Employed Social Worker option for some of the field work was pretty appealing) I did go ahead and accept. Sort of a relief. Going to be a LOT of peanut butter and jellies in my future...

Is anyone else on here waiting for word on the PSU online MSW option too? @kmarks1 and @AmandaN looks like you're both applying? @LAT, are you doing the online option?

Oh no, I applied for 2 year on campus option. I don't think my brain works with online classes. I'd be really sad to leave Seattle... but still waiting on UW response so I'm praying(!!!!!!a lot!!!!!!)

14 hours ago, Mommy2boox2 said:

Yup! Still waiting. I was really hoping that I'd find out on Friday, but I guess it'll have to wait until Monday (hopefully)! What's another couple days?? >.<

5 hours ago, LAT said:

Got that financial aid email yesterday around 10a PST and they said I'd hear by today... I just want the email! It's like pulling a bandaid off slowly

I'm in!

• 1 month later...

I submitted my application February 1st as well. It's good to hear I'm not the only one who hasn't heard anything!! Wishing all the best to those who applied. 

Checking here every day for updates--good luck everyone! Hi there @LemonLove

Western New Mexico is supposed to be releasing notifications in the next few days. They have taken forever...Response time to my (many) inquiries has been wonderful, same day or next day, but their admission process is lengthy...

Edited by Mommy2boox2