2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

1 hour ago, DGD4L said:

Hey guys, I'm applying to Ph.D. programs for the Fall 2017 semester. If you could give me some feedback on my stats and my school selections, that'd be great!

I don't know if I'm aiming too high with my school choices. A lot of professors I know pretty well have told me try it out, so let me know what you think! 

What are my chances with these institutions?

Undergrad Institution: Duquesne University
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s): Biochemistry
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.96
Position in Class: Not provided
Type of Student: Asian male, first generation college student

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 150
V: 150
W: 4.5
B: n/a

Research Experience:

3 years in a microbiology lab carrying out my own project. 

• Summer 2015 - awarded an Undergraduate Research Fellowship from the American Society for Microbiology, as well as $1,000 travel funds to go to ASM Microbe 2016 in Boston to present a poster and attend the conference.
  • Summer 2016 - awarded an Undergraduate Research Fellowship from Duquesne University. 
  • Took research for credit through my Junior and Senior year

I have presented at many different meetings across the US, including national and branch meetings. (about 8 poster presentations)

I will be writing and defending an honors thesis this coming spring on my work as an undergraduate.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

• Dean's List every semester
  • ASM Undergraduate Fellowship
  • Barry M. Goldwater Scholar

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Served as a work study for biology labs as a freshman and learned how to prepare many different types of media.

Currently a TA for Intro to Microbiology lab.

President of ASM branch at my university.

Member of Tri-Beta (Biology honor society), Phi Eta Sigma (freshman honor society), and Phi Kappa Phi (national honor society).

Special Bonus Points:

PI did his post-doc at Harvard, knows many different professors there well.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
3 letters, one from PI, one from professor I had for a lab class whom I got to know very well, and one from a professor helping me write my honors thesis

Applying to Where:
University of Chicago - Microbiology

Harvard University - BBS

MIT - Microbiology

UPenn - not sure which program

University of Pittsburgh - Interdisciplinary program (Fee waived)

Cornell University - Biochem, cell and molec

??????

Let me know what you guys think! I'm still open to looking at new programs, so let me know if you know anywhere I should look into!

I know my GRE scores are not up-to-par. I'm not a standardized test taker. I was hoping that maybe my grades, scholarship/awards and research will carry me a little.

I would REALLY try to get a befter GRE scores. They don't make your application, but they can definitely break it. If you had a better score, I would say you have decent chances, though, as I've said before, having only one research experience weakens your app in two ways: LORs from people that have supervised your research are the ideal scenario, and SOP-writing could be more difficult when you only draw out from one lab. 

I would suggets not applying to only those ultra competitive schools, and adding more top 20/30 schools

Note: Cornell's website states that GRE scores below 153 on the verbal section and 308 combined typically leads to rejection. Take this as you may when making decisions.

Edited by Bioenchilada

7 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I would REALLY try to get a befter GRE scores. They don't make your application, but they can definitely break it. If you had a better score, I would say you have decent chances, though, as I've said before, having only one research experience weakens your app in two ways: LORs from people that have supervised your research are the ideal scenario, and SOP-writing could be more difficult when you only draw out from one lab. 

I would suggets not applying to only those ultra competitive schools, and adding more top 20/30 schools

Note: Cornell's website states that GRE scores below 153 on the verbal section and 308 combined typically leads to rejection. Take this as you may when making decisions.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about my GRE scores. I know they aren't super important but it definitely isn't a good mark on my application. I have a couple of other schools that aren't ivy that I am looking at. So we will see!

9 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about my GRE scores. I know they aren't super important but it definitely isn't a good mark on my application. I have a couple of other schools that aren't ivy that I am looking at. So we will see!

How many of your  recommenders are familiar with your labwork? 

34 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

How many of your  recommenders are familiar with your labwork? 

My PI (obviously) has written me great letters before (for awards and such).

The other professor is one I had for an upper-level microbiology lab that included and independently designed research project. Her and I got closer after working closely with her in this class and she has also written me letters before, so she is familiar with my research.

The last professor I asked is one that is helping me write my honors thesis. I was appointed to her specifically for help on writing and she has become super familiar with everything I am doing. 

When I was choosing professors to write me letters, in my head I was thinking this:

I have my PI, who knows my research and me personally, can attest on my performance in the lab.

My professor from lab knows that I can be diverse in the type of lab work I do and adapt.

The professor who is helping me with my thesis will be familiar with my writing and can attest to my communication/writing abilities.

1 minute ago, DGD4L said:

The other professor is one I had for an upper-level microbiology lab that included and independently designed research project. Her and I got closer after working closely with her in this class and she has also written me letters before, so she is familiar with my research.

The last professor I asked is one that is helping me write my honors thesis. I was appointed to her specifically for help on writing and she has become super familiar with everything I am doing. 

When I was choosing professors to write me letters, in my head I was thinking this:

I have my PI, who knows my research and me personally, can attest on my performance in the lab.

My professor from lab knows that I can be diverse in the type of lab work I do and adapt.

The professor who is helping me with my thesis will be familiar with my writing and can attest to my communication/writing abilities.

I guess that's a good combo, just make sure to write a really good SOP :)

I'd pretty much agree with what Bioenchilada said.

8 hours ago, DGD4L said:

Personally I feel like those GRE scores will hold you back, especially coming from a less well known school. One of the purposes of standardized tests is to act as a benchmark for comparing GPAs from different universities. While getting perfect GRE scores aren't necessary, I feel like you should at least try to get 160+, with 155 being the minimum. It might be a bit late to prepare/retake the GRE at this point though...

7 hours ago, DGD4L said:

IMO, having 3 letters from PIs that can attest to your abilities in lab is stronger than 3 professors who offer these "different perspectives". However, it seems like these are your strongest letters, so the point is moot.

9 hours ago, Edotdl said:

I'd pretty much agree with what Bioenchilada said.

Personally I feel like those GRE scores will hold you back, especially coming from a less well known school. One of the purposes of standardized tests is to act as a benchmark for comparing GPAs from different universities. While getting perfect GRE scores aren't necessary, I feel like you should at least try to get 160+, with 155 being the minimum. It might be a bit late to prepare/retake the GRE at this point though...

IMO, having 3 letters from PIs that can attest to your abilities in lab is stronger than 3 professors who offer these "different perspectives". However, it seems like these are your strongest letters, so the point is moot.

Yeah, those GRE scores bug me. Like I said, I'm not a standardized test taker. I was thinking about taking them again, but I honestly don't know if I would do any better. I don't think it's worth me spending the extra $200 to get maybe 1 point higher in each section. 

I'm still applying to both Harvard and MIT. I love the city and the schools, and hopefully since my PI worked with some people over there that will help but I don't expect it to completely get me in. I'm also adding some of the schools ranked a little lower like Tufts to my list to apply. 

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

Hi everyone! Just finished submitting apps, chose schools based on research interests/location but not sure how competitive of a candidate I am or if I'm applying to too many reach schools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Undergrad Institution: UMD
Major(s): General Biology
Minor(s): Music Performance - Viola
GPA in Major: ~3.5
Overall GPA: 3.77
Type of Student: white female

Q: 162 (82%)
V: 159 (82%)
W: 4.5 (82%)
B: n/a

Research Experience: Worked at the USDA in food safety/microbio lab for 2.5 years. Didn't do any molecular work, so senior year switched to a plant pathology lab on campus doing genetic research on plant immunity for 6 months. Started as a post-bac at the FDA in July doing immunology/interferon research, will be there for a year. Research interests in pathogens and host-pathogen interactions.

No publications yet; been told that I might be a co-author on paper from plant lab and should publish by end of FDA fellowship

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honors College, dean's list every semester, some random honor societies

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Was an undergraduate microbio TA for one semester, really enjoyed it. Some schools asked for leadership experience, so I was president of a music group on campus that also promoted social issues/awareness

Special Bonus Points: Mom is a plant geneticist who knows a couple of the people I'm interested in working with from a long time ago; wasn't going to bring it up unless invited for an interview though.

Applying to Where:

University of Maryland, Baltimore - Microbiology and Immunology

Johns Hopkins - Microbio and Immuno (School of Public Health)

UPenn - BGS

UMich - PIBS

UVA - Biomedical Sciences

Emory - Microbiology and Molecular Genetics

Columbia - Biomedical Sciences

3 hours ago, immunoweirdo said:

Hi everyone! Do people usually submit their applications early for science PhD programs? I am planning on submitting to immunology/MCB programs and know the deadline is Dec 1 for most, but don't know if its bad to cut it close. Thanks!

There's no benefit to submitting early unless the program does rolling admission. 

On 10/19/2016 at 3:41 PM, Eppendork said:

I feel like I've turned my age into a strength in my SOPs, or at least, tried to spin it in a positive way :) .  I've had the time to really think about whether or not I want to earn a PhD, and understanding the importance of research experience early on led me to get into a lab as soon as possible.  I didn't take an especially long time to earn my undergrad  degree, I just started late.

The juries still out on microbio PI, I only emailed him yesterday morning so a letter from him is very possible.  I think it would be positive, I only stopped working in his lab because he moved form the branch to the main campus, and prior to that he expressed interest in writing another paper with me.

I probably should have done an summer REU for an additional PI letter, but have been invested in the work I've been doing in my current lab and didn't want to leave/slow down progress.  It's been mostly just me in the lab for the majority of the time I've been here.

Just want to say that age isn't an issue... although GENERALLY speaking, older applicants have more research experience.  They'll have worked in industry, been at the NIH, etc.  The time that you said you've had to decide you want a PhD... it hasn't been spent in science (from what I can tell, which could be wrong) and that might be an issue if you phrase it like, "Because I'm older, I know that I want to be a PhD."  It sounds presumptuous simply because you are getting a PhD to be a scientist, not to be a PhD.  You are still a straight out of undergrad applicant, so I wouldn't go to any lengths to differentiate yourself from that crowd.

The only glaring problem I can see with you application is that you'll only have 1 LOR from a PI that knows you well.  If you haven't kept up with the micro PI, then it's going to make it difficult.  If it's been less than a couple years, it'll be fine, as long as you've kept up with him.  To be competitive at a high level, as many LORs as possible from a PI are a must.  They are one of, if not the most, important parts of the application.  

On 10/23/2016 at 0:08 PM, CanadianNomad said:

Hey everyone! I'm about finished submitting my apps. Super excited (and nervous!). Best wishes to everyone as we finish off these apps :)

Undergrad Institution: Canadian University
Major(s): Biology & Psychology
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: ~3.7
Overall GPA: ~3.4
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: International/Canadian, Female, Currently in Boston on 2-year research fellowship

Graduate Institution: Big international Neuroscience Institute 
Degree: Master of Biomedical Science - Neuroscience Track
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: 4.0
Position in Class: Top 10%. Graduated with highest distinction 

V: 164 (94th percentile)
Q: 161 (79th percentile)
W: 5.5 (98th percentile)

Research Experience:

Undergrad: 2 years conducting research in brain and cognitive sciences lab

Graduate School: 2 years of independent research (degree was 80% research, 20% coursework). Presented at conference/published abstract, published first author review and second author original research paper, wrote formal research thesis and had a formal thesis defence. 

Post-grad Fellowship: 2 year research fellowship at Harvard Medical School (2015-2017). Have presented work at conference, two posters/two published abstracts, three papers currently under review (one is a review, two are original research. Author positions: 3rd, 4th and 5th), another paper in preparation (2nd author). Have assisted in writing and have generated a lot of pilot data for one RO1 grant (now funded) and another major grant (under review). Presented at several departmental and out-of-state meetings. Currently supervising a gap-year student and co-supervising a technician. 

Merit-based scholarship for MSc, Harvard Med research fellowship 

Currently work as a content creator for Khan Academy (>1 year here)

Currently an instructor at Harvard Medical School working on new Pathways curriculum for HMS medical students (just over a year now)

Anatomy TA for a year in undergrad

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

I can't think of anything else not already said :)

Special Bonus Points:

2 of my reference letters are big name PIs in Harvard community, both are the PIs of the two labs I am currently in. One of them plays a big role in admissions for one of the programs I'm applying to (and heads one of the labs I'd like to do my PhD in). Third ref is PI/supervisor from my MSc. All have promised strong letters (fingers crossed!!). 

I collaborate heavily with three PIs at Dartmouth, all in the department I'm applying to 

I have solid experience with RNA-seq analysis, something I'm hoping is valuable to some of the PIs. 

I'm not a U.S citizen/permanent resident (I'm Canadian)

Applying to Where:

Harvard - BBS

MIT - Brain and Cognitive Sciences 

Dartmouth - PEMM

Brown - Neuroscience

Columbia - Biological Sciences (I think)

Rockefeller - David Rockefeller Graduate Program 

Toronto - Molecular Genetics 

You'll be fine.  Your application is stellar.  You don't need to say anything about your technical skills, because it's not a really considered.  As my current PI says, you're not in grad school to be the hands, you've got to have the hands and the brain.  And the brain is more important.  But here's something; unless you have some attachment to Brown, I would apply elsewhere.  Like UCSF, Stanfod, UCLA, Weill Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, Sloan Kettering.  They are actually much better schools.  Brown has a weak research background compared to your other choices and is very undergrad focused.  But it's up to you.

On 10/25/2016 at 5:03 PM, immunoweirdo said:

Hi everyone! Do people usually submit their applications early for science PhD programs? I am planning on submitting to immunology/MCB programs and know the deadline is Dec 1 for most, but don't know if its bad to cut it close. Thanks!

Just peace of mind that it's over.  I submitted in early November so I could focus on other things, but you definitely don't have to.

2 hours ago, CanadianNomad said:

biochemgirl67, thank you for your input :) I very much hear you on Brown as a whole, I do indeed have a personal attachment/reason for applying there. I would love to be able to apply to the schools you mentioned, but my fiance is in residency in the Boston area so I'm trying to stick close by (Columbia and Rockefeller each have a few PIs that would be happy for me to collaborate in my Boston lab for part of my degree if I was able to get into these programs). Thank you, though, for your suggestions!

What about UMass-Boston or Brandeis?  There's also Boston University.  And if you are up for it, Yale is only a couple of hours away.

But if you decide to go to Rockefeller, do yourself a favor  and actually work off that campus.  It's part of the reason that that place is so special.  You won't make connections with those scientists otherwise.

19 hours ago, CanadianNomad said:

biochemgirl67, thank you for your input :) I very much hear you on Brown as a whole, I do indeed have a personal attachment/reason for applying there. I would love to be able to apply to the schools you mentioned, but my fiance is in residency in the Boston area so I'm trying to stick close by (Columbia and Rockefeller each have a few PIs that would be happy for me to collaborate in my Boston lab for part of my degree if I was able to get into these programs). Thank you, though, for your suggestions!

I don't feel like NYC is exactly close to Boston. Why not stick with any of the eleven programs in Boston? Harvard BBS, Harvard MCO, BU-GMS, BU, Tufts-Sackler, Tufts, MIT, Northeastern, BC, Brandeis, or UMass-Boston? 

So, I want to continue in my field of research (which is relatively narrow), so I asked my PI for recommendations. The schools I've listed have labs of interest that are accepting students for Fall 2017.

Comments, critiques, concerns? Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: State school
Major(s): Microbiology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA: 3.81
Position in Class: Not sure, probably towards top
Type of Student: Female minority

Q: 158 (70%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 5.0 (93%)

Research Experience:

3 years in one lab

• one project with two poster presentations and I'll be an author on a pub this spring
  • one project for honors thesis with one poster presentation
  • miscellaneous projects here and there

Summer intern at Albert Einstein College of Medicine

6 months in another lab, more of my entry into research than anything else

Departmental scholarships

LSAMP Scholar

Lab assistant for yet another lab

Special Bonus Points: 

My field is pretty small, so my PI's name has weight, which I hope will come in handy.

Applied for GRFP

Lots of experience with anaerobic growth, necessary for aforementioned narrow field

I don't think there's much other than a lack of pubs.

Applying to Where:

(I was submission-happy this week after the GRFP and already to applied to University of Oklahoma - Microbiology and University of Arkansas - Cell and Molecular Bio.)

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Molecular and Cell Bio

Duke University - Genetics and Genomics

8 hours ago, CanadianNomad said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Regarding Rockefeller, do you mean that those scientists spend more time working off campus than on? This is good to know!

DAMN IT.  I meant ON.  I guess I was typing in between waiting for my gel to stain.  I meant that if you're going to go to an institute, you have to go to the actual campus.  Even though you may be allowed to collaborate from your current lab, you need to go to the program and form those connections.  I understand the personal connection, but if that's the important thing to you, then don't apply outside of Boston.  Rockefeller's fabulousness comes from the community of scientists that are there, as do any other programs.  I would not go to a graduate school program that I wasn't going to live at.  If that's not what you meant (if you meant that there will be a collaboration between the labs and you'll go back to Boston often, don't count on it because there are more factors that go into building a collaboration relationship that 1 graduate student) then sorry, I've misunderstood.

20 hours ago, CanadianNomad said:

It's not, but as mentioned above I have some connections at the two NYC programs I'm applying to that would be keen on me doing collaborative work here in Boston as well :) I'm definitely applying to Harvard BBS and MIT, and have recently added Tufts to my list, thanks for the suggestions! I'm being picky about more than just location, though, and BU, Northeastern, etc don't check some critical boxes that I'm looking for. But I really appreciate the suggestions :)

My girlfriend, a doctoral student in neuroscience at BU, said you would say that, and I think that is just outstanding. 

Good luck with the process! 

17 hours ago, Pinot Meow said:

So, I want to continue in my field of research (which is relatively narrow), so I asked my PI for recommendations. The schools I've listed have labs of interest that are accepting students for Fall 2017.

Minor(s):
GPA in Major:

Research Experience:

3 years in one lab

• one project with two poster presentations and I'll be an author on a pub this spring

LSAMP Scholar

Special Bonus Points: 

My field is pretty small, so my PI's name has weight, which I hope will come in handy.

Applied for GRFP

Lots of experience with anaerobic growth, necessary for aforementioned narrow field

Applying to Where:

(I was submission-happy this week after the GRFP and already to applied to University of Oklahoma - Microbiology and University of Arkansas - Cell and Molecular Bio.)

I think that, with your credentials, you could aim much higher with respect to your school choices. Of course, that is unless you are already applying to all the schools you are interested in. 

Undergrad Institution: Top 10
Major(s): Bio
Minor(s): Stat
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.7
Position in Class: ?
Type of Student: Domestic

Q: 165
V: 165
W: 4.5
B: N/A

Research Experience: 2 years

one semester at a computational chem lab doing simulations: no pub

2 years at a developmental lab: 2 mid-author pubs and 1 pending first author

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: nothing significant

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: N/A

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Bilingual, learning coding on my own

Special Bonus Points: NADA

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Pretty vanilla... 

Applying to Where:

MIT - CSB

CMU-Pitt - CPCB

Berkely - Comp Bio

Cornell - Comp Bio

Still finalizing my SOP and school list... 

Question 1: Hello! I would really appreciate some feedback on my school list. Am I reaching too high?

Question 2: Would it be worth getting my paper out at a pre-print server? 

Question 3: How much would my non-CS background diminish my chances at a top program?

Thanks guys!

Edited by systemicpoisoning

23 hours ago, Pinot Meow said:

Minor(s):
GPA in Major:

Research Experience:

3 years in one lab

LSAMP Scholar

Special Bonus Points: 

Applied for GRFP

Applying to Where:

So I know @Bioenchilada already said this, but you have so many more choices than you are giving yourself.  You look like a direct-out-of-undergrad applicant, and I would HIGHLY HIGHLY OMG HIGHLY recommend you apply to some schools that are really strong in microbiology/genetics but aren't a perfect fit for the research you do now.  Graduate school is about finding a great mentor in an interesting research area, not about defining your career specifically.  You haven't tried so many options.  You've had 3 years of the same thing and then 1 summer internship.  I promise you, if you give yourself the chance, you will try something new.  You may end up in the same field or similar topic, but if you don't limit yourself now, you can open up your horizons that much more.

University of Washington, University of Wisconsin Madison, Harvard, WUSTL, UCSF, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, etc are all schools within your grasp.  You are so early on in your career, it is not worth limiting yourself to the a couple schools because you love the research you've been doing.  You have nothing to lose by not limiting yourself, I promise you.

46 minutes ago, cokitty said:

Please let me know what you think!!

Undergrad Institution: Top 50 LAC
Major: Russian
GPA in Major: 3.47
Overall GPA: 3.37
Position in Class: top 25%
Type of Student: Domestic, woman

GRE Scores (revised/old version):  Haven't yet taken my GRE.  Will take later this month.
Q:
V:
W:
B:

Research Experience: 

Presented at a conference hosted at my institution

University honor society, inducted fall of sophomore year

Tutor for 2 years

TA for 1 year

RA for 3 years

Special Bonus Points: Woman, one of my LOR writers is well-known in the field

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Currently living and teaching in Russia

Applying to Where:

• University of Southern California - Slavic Languages and Literatures - Soviet literature/gender studies/translation
  • UCLA - Slavic Languages and Literatures - Soviet literature/gender studies/translation
  • Northwestern - Slavic Languages and Literatures - Soviet literature/gender studies/translation
  • Illinois - Slavic Languages and Literatures - Soviet literature/gender studies/translation
  • Berkeley - Slavic Languages and Literatures - Soviet literature/gender studies/translation
  • Yale - Slavic Languages and Literatures - Soviet literature/gender studies/translation

Just in case you haven't realized yet, this thread is specific to Biology applications, so you might not get advice specific for Slavic Languages and Literature.

Just now, Edotdl said:

Just in case you haven't realized yet, this thread is specific to Biology applications, so you might not get advice specific for Slavic Languages and Literature.

Haha oh my god, I'm totally tuned out.  Thanks.  I'll delete.

7 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

I think that, with your credentials, you could aim much higher with respect to your school choices. Of course, that is unless you are already applying to all the schools you are interested in. 

1 hour ago, biochemgirl67 said:

So I know @Bioenchilada already said this, but you have so many more choices than you are giving yourself.  You look like a direct-out-of-undergrad applicant, and I would HIGHLY HIGHLY OMG HIGHLY recommend you apply to some schools that are really strong in microbiology/genetics but aren't a perfect fit for the research you do now.  Graduate school is about finding a great mentor in an interesting research area, not about defining your career specifically.  You haven't tried so many options.  You've had 3 years of the same thing and then 1 summer internship.  I promise you, if you give yourself the chance, you will try something new.  You may end up in the same field or similar topic, but if you don't limit yourself now, you can open up your horizons that much more.

University of Washington, University of Wisconsin Madison, Harvard, WUSTL, UCSF, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, etc are all schools within your grasp.  You are so early on in your career, it is not worth limiting yourself to the a couple schools because you love the research you've been doing.  You have nothing to lose by not limiting yourself, I promise you.

Thank you both so much! I mainly posted to make sure I wasn't out of my mind for applying to Duke/UIUC, but it looks like now I have quite a bit to think about. It's kinda hard to consider not staying along the lines of what I'm passionate about and experienced in. New is a little scary!

On 10/30/2016 at 6:59 PM, Pinot Meow said:

Minor(s):
GPA in Major:

Research Experience:

3 years in one lab

LSAMP Scholar

Special Bonus Points: 

Applied for GRFP

Applying to Where:

Are you from Oklahoma? That's the only explanation I can think of for why you would apply to OU... 

Edited by blc073

2 hours ago, blc073 said:

Are you from Oklahoma? That's the only explanation I can think of for why you would apply to OU... 

Yeah, and I'm not too fond of the state to be honest, but I really do like the lab I'd be in.