2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

33 minutes ago, cuteDr22 said:

CMBS

I was just at the first CMBS weekend. They've sent out all of their interview offers, I'm sorry :( So I guess you could safely take that as a rejection? I'm not sure when they formally send these out, maybe check out previous years on the results page?

1 hour ago, PhDHopeful3 said:

I was just at the first CMBS weekend. They've sent out all of their interview offers, I'm sorry :( So I guess you could safely take that as a rejection? I'm not sure when they formally send these out, maybe check out previous years on the results page?

Thanks - i'd rather know. i thought so.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, Pepperoni said:

Wisconsin Madison interview down, emory and washu to go. All cancer bio except WashU.

Any hope at this point of hearing from Penn, Northwestern, or Chicago? Should I make one last ditch effort e-mail to the ad-coms if not?

Penn is well into the logistics of actually planning the interviews, so it should be pretty safe to assume that an on-campus interview is extremely unlikely. It might be possible to get a skype one, if international, though this might also be unlikely given that they sent a batch of those last week. 

Does anyone have an idea of the post-interview acceptance rate for Stanford Biosciences (any info on Chemical & Systems Biology or the other home programs would be great), and how this rate compares to that of other top tier schools? 

5 hours ago, Drink The Sea said:

Does anyone have an idea of the post-interview acceptance rate for Stanford Biosciences (any info on Chemical & Systems Biology or the other home programs would be great), and how this rate compares to that of other top tier schools? 

Ditto.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:40 PM, PhDorBUST said:

Anyone here waiting to hear back from CJ/Criminology programs? I see all these people getting invites to interviews (interview weekends?? They need a whole freaking weekend???!!) but in different disciplines.

Anyone else here basically completely alone in this process??? I have no idea what to expect and neither does anyone I know. All help, even to just calm the nerves, would be much appreciated!

Another CJ major here! Have you received any decisions yet? I've been admitted into SUNY, Florida State, and IUP. Still waiting on Nebraska Omaha, Rutgers, and TX State 

Still haven't heard anything from any other school besides MSU...

Starting to get worried; I applied to Biology PhD programs, and Plant Biology programs if the schools offered them. WashU, UNC, Duke, and ASU were all Biology, and schools like Oregon State, Wash State, Colorado State and U of Minnesota were all Plant Biology.

Anyone heard anything from these schools regarding these programs?

22 hours ago, KR Marksmen said:

Are you interviewing for Biochem at WashU? Wondering if you got your Faculty list yet.

Not biochem, cancer. haven't received faculty list yet though.

20 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

Penn is well into the logistics of actually planning the interviews, so it should be pretty safe to assume that an on-campus interview is extremely unlikely. It might be possible to get a skype one, if international, though this might also be unlikely given that they sent a batch of those last week. 

got it. honestly though, anything to do at this point, besides quietly understand we've been rejected? Any e-mail to adcom or anything? Frankly if you're not accepted, nothing can hurt at this point right?

19 hours ago, fitzgradschool said:

I'm going to Emory too! See you there :) 

see you there!

Edited by Pepperoni

On 1/10/2017 at 11:41 PM, dragonzz said:

Thanks for update! I'm international and have not heard anything. 

I submitted my app, and I still haven not received an invitation for an interview. I was contacted on the week before Christmas just to submit an applicant data sheet. 

On 1/9/2017 at 11:48 AM, Pepperoni said:

BTW, on the website for UChicago it says that until you receive a decision from the program, you are still under consideration (even if you haven't received an interview invite, which you'll obviously need to have at some point). Has anyone received an invite AFTER the first round was sent out, and ultimately was accepted that way?

Hmmm, comforting. 

3 hours ago, emfarce said:

Still haven't heard anything from any other school besides MSU...

Starting to get worried; I applied to Biology PhD programs, and Plant Biology programs if the schools offered them. WashU, UNC, Duke, and ASU were all Biology, and schools like Oregon State, Wash State, Colorado State and U of Minnesota were all Plant Biology.

Anyone heard anything from these schools regarding these programs?

I currently go to ASU, and I know that they are still going through PhD applications and inviting people to recruitment weekends for biology :) 

Hi folks! Hope you're doing swell.

For those of you who have already been to an interview weekend -- do you have any advice to quell my nerves? I'm heading to UWashington MCB this weekend and am a bundle of energy.

Thanks in advance!

56 minutes ago, spiffscience said:

For those of you who have already been to an interview weekend -- do you have any advice to quell my nerves? I'm heading to UWashington MCB this weekend and am a bundle of energy.

Thanks in advance!

Don't be nervous! Don't be who you think they want you to be...be yourself! Remember you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you. I'm sure it may be different at different schools, but all of my interviews have been more like a conversation than your typical idea of an interview. Know your research and be ready with questions that will help you in deciding if their program is right for you! Good luck!

1 hour ago, spiffscience said:

Thanks in advance!

I'll second everything @CalicoCat said.  I'll add that I found asking PIs what direction they are planning to take their research really helpful, because a lot of answers I got were rather different from the recently published papers and website - also not a bad way to kill time in an interview, because every PI loves to talk about their research.