GW Elliott Fall 2016

hina234

16 minutes ago, kaseyleigh said:

You guys, finally received something about funding! I received 7000 a semester. They called it a "graduate fellowship." Hope everyone else just got emails too!

I just heard back too! 6000 a semester. Congrats!

I too just received my award letter- 7000 per semester. Kudos to everyone for involuntary tolerating GW's response time. I'm assuming the Wolcott recipients will have to wait another two weeks before hearing anything...

Just now, KodiH said:

I too just received my award letter- 7000 per semester. Kudos to everyone for involuntary tolerating GW's response time. I'm assuming the Wolcott recipients will have to wait another two weeks before hearing anything...

Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea how many Wolcott awards are given out each year? Furthermore, what proportion of the awards end up being for full tuition? I read on the Wolcott website that the maximum award is full tuition, implying some awards are smaller. Any thoughts? 

Basically, unless I receive a full tuition Wolcott I'll be going to Georgetown MSFS. This is the last element that I am considering in my decision making process.

Edited by 6speed!

I just got an email with funding. 7k/ semester, which is less than AU, which I liked better. So I won't be accepting most likely. 

Edited by Srbf

One thing of interest is how much less expensive GW's tuition is compared to other schools...$10-15k less a year. Combined with a decent scholarship makes it much more affordable. Going to have a lot to think about over the next few weeks!

Edited by coffeeandtravel

15 hours ago, coffeeandtravel said:

One thing of interest is how much less expensive GW's tuition is compared to other schools...$10-15k less a year. Combined with a decent scholarship makes it much more affordable. Going to have a lot to think about over the next few weeks!

Maybe I'm being ungrateful but in proportion to the cost of study they still award a lot less than other schools in the area.

4 hours ago, ZebraFinch said:

Maybe I'm being ungrateful but in proportion to the cost of study they still award a lot less than other schools in the area.

Proportionally that is probably true...it's just interesting that tuition is so significantly less expensive than SAIS and MSFS, for example

16 minutes ago, coffeeandtravel said:

Proportionally that is probably true...it's just interesting that tuition is so significantly less expensive than SAIS and MSFS, for example

That's my dilemma..  90k for SAIS over two years or 44k for GW. From talking with alumni it seems that SAIS has an all-around better program, but enough to justify ~90k? That's the question.

45 minutes ago, Pichichi said:

That's my dilemma..  90k for SAIS over two years or 44k for GW. From talking with alumni it seems that SAIS has an all-around better program, but enough to justify ~90k? That's the question.

In my experience having worked in the federal gov (if that's what you want)... It's not worth so much debt at all. 

Sounds like the largest sum offered to any of us on this forum was $7,000/sem. correct? Are there fellowships that go beyond that, and does Elliott make reconsiderations if you ask?

As for the debt thing - my intention from before I even started applying was to only attend grad school if I were lucky enough to be offered full tuition + COL stipend. I firmly believe in not taking on any debt, ever, except for housing. Why burden yourself with 90K+ after graduating?? Especially for the majority of us who after completing these programs will be working for the government or for non-profits. That much debt will severely limit your lifestyle options for years, if not the rest of your life. Of all the types of programs we're applying to on this forum, no one school on our lists is worth tens of thousands of dollars deeper in debt over any other program.

Aside from money: the big picture is that it doesn't matter what school you go to. Pick one. Pick one that makes financial sense first, and that you're comfortable with second. Every school on our lists offers much, much more than you will ever be able to take advantage of. Grad school is ultimately what you put into it, and not what little is handed to you through chance networking or name recognition.

It doesn't matter where you go. This is not a cynical statement but a freeing one--make a choice, make the most of it, and enjoy this one-way trip we've all been graced with!