Where have you/are you going to DECLINE(D)???

FeelTheBern

I saw this thread started in the Philosophy subforum and I think it is a wonderful idea to give people just a little, tiny bit of hope that they may be the lucky one to be accepted off of the waitlist at a school that they are waiting to hear from.

In addition to the name of the school, please also post the area (social, cognitive, clinical, etc.). Thanks guys :)

4 hours ago, Tahlain said:

(Decided I don't want this public at the moment.)

I also think it's wise not to share this information publicly at this time, unless you've already officially accepted an offer somewhere.

Edited by JoePianist

3 hours ago, JoePianist said:

I also think it's wise not to share this information publicly at this time, unless you've already officially accepted an offer somewhere.

That's fine if you feel as though you need to wait, however, there is no need to downvote me @JoePianist for creating a thread that has been received quite well on another subforum. I am not forcing people to share this information if they do not want to.....

1 minute ago, gradzz said:

For someone like me - self-dubbed the "wait-list King" - as 4 of my 5 schools have wait listed me. I would appreciate the feedback. My plea to all at this point is please do not hold more than two offers. Those of us in wait list hell would so appreciate it

I have to agree with this... as someone being waitlisted to my top schools, I would like to beg to those who received multiple offers... you got multiple offers because you are amazing at what you do, and I am truly very happy for you. When you make your decision of where you are going, please let the schools know as soon as you can so that us waiting to hear back can get out of misery and return to our normal lives. Thank you very, very much for your thoughtfulness and consideration in advance!

On 2/28/2016 at 0:34 PM, FeelTheBern said:

That's fine if you feel as though you need to wait, however, there is no need to downvote me @JoePianist for creating a thread that has been received quite well on another subforum. I am not forcing people to share this information if they do not want to.....

The clinical psych forum is really interesting in that there is an overwhelming sense of fear/concern in sharing this type of information. I'm not sure why. You'll see "2016 Acceptance" threads (or threads like this) in other subforums that have taken off wildly, but not here. I don't really get it, but it's absolutely fascinating.

30 minutes ago, blubed said:

The clinical psych forum is really interesting in that there is an overwhelming sense of fear/concern in sharing this type of information. I'm not sure why. You'll see "2016 Acceptance" threads (or threads like this) in other subforums that have taken off wildly, but not here. I don't really get it, but it's absolutely fascinating.

I'm curious what others think about this, too. I don't think the fear is specific to clinical, but it might be a subforum norm set by the clinical folks and the relative intensity of that process. I say this as a cog person who caught the paranoia and started purging remotely identifiable information awhile back. Paranoia could of course be endogenous ;) but it's tough to articulate what exactly I'm afraid of happening if some hypothetical thing gets back to some unknown one. 

35 minutes ago, blubed said:

Thank you for pointing this out @blubed! I completely agree, I actually got this idea from the Philosophy subforum where their wait list thread currently has 206 replies and 10,485 views.

31 minutes ago, FeelTheBern said:

Thank you for pointing this out @blubed! I completely agree, I actually got this idea from the Philosophy subforum where their wait list thread currently has 206 replies and 10,485 views.

np :) i've found it to be pretty disappointing that we aren't more like the other subforums in that regard, but whatcha gonna do?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know about philosophy, but programs in psychology usually give offers to a very small number of people (5-7) so I can understand if someone is afraid of being identified by saying which program s/he *is going to decline* (especially if the decision is not that final). I don't see any problem with saying which program s/he *has already declined* though.

Edited by khunconan

I emailed my POI today with my decision to regretfully decline his offer.

• University: Lakehead University
  • Program: Clinical psychology

Good luck to anyone on the waitlist at Lakehead!

Is there a thread where people have listed schools where they are waitlisted?  I am hoping to decline programs in the next few weeks, but if I knew for sure that there is someone on the waitlist who's #1 choice is the program I would potentially decline, I might inform the schools sooner.  Of course, I want to inform programs of my decision as soon as possible, but at the same time I would like a little more time to reflect on my options so that I can make the best possible choice.  This is a big decision after all!

Edited by St0chastic

I think it is safe to assume that there are people below you on any waitlist wanting badly to get in. At least drop it to two offers before you take more time to decide, that is what is suggested in clinical admissions, at least. 

Edited by cse2016

My SO just declined his offer from Northeastern University (Cognitive Psychology PhD). His POI said that the offer would go to another deserving student if he released it, so good luck to those who applied! I hope that everyone (on the east coast at least) is enjoying this beautiful day (in early March no less! B)) Take a break and go outside for a bit, if you can!

43 minutes ago, FeelTheBern said:

My SO just declined his offer from Northeastern University (Cognitive Psychology PhD). His POI said that the offer would go to another deserving student if he released it, so good luck to those who applied! I hope that everyone (on the east coast at least) is enjoying this beautiful day (in early March no less! B)) Take a break and go outside for a bit, if you can!

Im eating my lunch outside as we speak ...:)

Before I can decline any offers, I have to meet with my adviser and the director of the research program I am a part of. If it were up to me, I would have declined at least one of my offers weeks ago. Unfortunately, my program director treats us like children, and we can hardly make any academia-related decisions without her approval.

I will be declining 3 offers at some great programs next week, so hopefully some of you guys get off the waitlist. Once I officially decline, I'll come back and list the schools! 

2 hours ago, vislabgirlx said:

Before I can decline any offers, I have to meet with my adviser and the director of the research program I am a part of. If it were up to me, I would have declined at least one of my offers weeks ago. Unfortunately, my program director treats us like children, and we can hardly make any academia-related decisions without her approval.

I will be declining 3 offers at some great programs next week, so hopefully some of you guys get off the waitlist. Once I officially decline, I'll come back and list the schools! 

What does this mean? How can they require you to wait for them?

12 hours ago, artsy16 said:

Yeah that's outrageous. I met with advisors out of my own free will- I requested meetings because I was having a hard time making a decision. If I absolutely knew I wasn't going to attend a program I would decline immediately. It's really frowned upon to hold on to them when you know you aren't going. I don't know the nature of your relationship with this advisor, but it doesn't sound like any mentor/advisor I would want. If any of mine suggested that I couldn't make the decision without their approval, I'd politely thank them for their input and still do what I want.  Anywho, congrats on having multiple offers. I hope you have a less controlling advisor in the future.

13 hours ago, artsy16 said:

Its a scholars program. These people aren't just my advisers in the way that you all have advisers. They pay my living stipend and are signing off on my honors thesis. I also get graded for my participation in the program. It's in my best interest to be cooperative and abide by the terms that I agreed to when I became a scholar.

They aren't holding a gun to my head or anything, but if I accept offers without meeting with them first, I would get in trouble with the program. I could potentially get kicked out. Then, there goes my only source of income. There goes valuable connections that I've spent the last few years building (and letters I plan to use for my NSF application). It isn't worth it to me. 

I'm declining UCSD and withdrawing from a Fulbright grant competition.

Wonderful opportunities/institutions, but not the best fit for my long term academic/career goals.

Edited by Tahlain

I've declined offers from Mizzou, University of Illinois-Chicago, and Temple.  I also withdrew consideration from Emory.  All clinical psychology.

These are all phenomenal programs. I hope this helps some of you!

Edit: I interviewed at Emory; I didn't just withdraw my application.

Edited by PsychRadish