Opinion on which Canadian graduate J-School to choose

AJ90

Hi guys! I got accepted to a couple of journalism grad programs in Canada and I'm torn which one to choose. So, I desperately need input and advice to put things in perspective and hopefully, make a logical decision that I won't regret.

Anyway, I got in to the Master of Journalism program in UBC, Western, Ryerson, and Carleton. What are the pros and cons of each program? Which one is better? Should I attend the one that offers me the most funding or choose the one I really want to attend? 

Feel free to response! I'm just desperate as deadlines to accept/decline offers are coming up.

Thanks!

@vini I am from Vancouver and UBC has a good reputation. However, keeping in touch with the school has been a challenge, esp. with regards to funding. Also, I think that the East Coast has more diverse media and journalism scene or maybe I'm wrong. It could be a mistake, but I'm leaning more towards declining UBC's offer.

I've got a couple days to make my decision, but at the moment its between UBC and Ryerson for me. I'm leaning towards UBC at the moment, but the Toronto location of Ryerson is what is making me think long term that might be the best option, especially since that is where I would prefer to end up after graduation. On the other hand, my main interest is international journalism, and UBC seems to be stronger in that regard.

I don't actually know if Ryerson would give me better job prospects or if UBC actually is stronger for international journalism, so if anyone might have any sort of insights, I'm all ears.

That's good. They're both tempting, but I ended up declining their offers. I decided that Western's program is more aligned with what I want to do in the future, plus the shorter time seems efficient. Where are you from? I'm from Vancouver and UBC's location is great! Also, I know some people who actually did their internships abroad. So, if you want that, maybe go to UBC. I think Ryerson is great for the Canadian market, but UBC has a slight edge internationally. Not necessarily because the program is better, but because of the prestige that is attached to the name of the university.

I'm from Vancouver as well. It was a tough choice, but I decided on UBC. I'm hoping I get a chance to be part of the IRP there. What about Western drew you to it - that was the one place I had been planning to apply as well but decided against it in the end. 

Hi! I just declined UBC's offer so I'm still experiencing some strange form of withdrawal haha. As for Western, I like how the program is both in Journalism and Communication, it's just a year, and the proximity to Toronto is good. Also, I want to move to the east coast and experience an old university. So, Western works. 

We could've been classmates if I decided to go to UBC! Haha!

• 1 month later...