Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

2 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

Does anyone know if the office is closing early today? In my part of the state the snowstorm isn't supposed to really start until after 8pm.

I doubt it. 

2 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

Does anyone know if the office is closing early today? In my part of the state the snowstorm isn't supposed to really start until after 8pm.

I dont think they are, and I dont know about the next few days either. Honestly, we've had businesses and companies stay open even with huge storms before. It is possible the office stays open for this storm too. 

4 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

Thats what my warning says too. What county are you in? I'm in Monroe County~

10 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

When I emailed the Fulbright Program Advisor for Bulgaria she said end of the month... so ?

1 minute ago, Jess2323 said:

When I emailed the Fulbright Program Advisor for Bulgaria she said end of the month... so ?

Is it considered inappropriate to email and/or call? I feel like they must know we are planning stuff, right?

4 minutes ago, Horb said:

Is it considered inappropriate to email and/or call? I feel like they must know we are planning stuff, right?

I was emailing to clarify about interview questions, and she just included that notifications will be out at the end of the month- so I didn't go so far just to reach out about notifications. Honestly though I don't think it's too inappropriate they really haven't given us much info!

14 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

Also Monroe County in Rochester!

Woah, I am in Rochester too! Small world :D

EDIT: Okay, just checked the spreadsheet and we are both from Naz hahaha nice to see you on here~ 

Edited by Tera

3 hours ago, hj2012 said:

I just wanted to add another perspective for those who are thinking about applying to PhD programs. At least in my field, "better" PhD programs tend to also have better funding: the two are definitely correlated. The best strategy to avoid loans, at least for PhD applicants in my field, is to apply to the top programs, nearly all of which guarantee 6-7 years of competitive funding. Of course, the "name" school is not necessarily always the best option and there is legit NOTHING you can do to 100% guarantee long-term success in the academy. (It really is a crapshoot.) However, studies have shown that the "name brand" of your university sadly influences outcomes, and this is a factor that applicants should take into consideration while they make decisions on how to prepare for graduate school. 

This is all good info for me. I am looking at a fully funded masters or the Fulbright (I'll know any day now right?). It sounds like, given that I am in the social sciences, that a fully funded masters could be a great deal, but that if I am willing to reapply I might get into better schools with better funding AFTER the Fulbright. 

Still taking thoughts from anyone and I appreciate all the good thinking thus far!

1 hour ago, morelani said:

Just got a " Congratulations On Your Fulbright U.S. Student Award " e-mail, but still nothing with (P) in the subject... anxiously awaiting that second e-mail, as I've been burned before (UCSD accidentally sent me an acceptance once). Cautiously celebrating that I am likely going to Norway next year!

congrats!!!!!

2 minutes ago, minswho said:

oh haha okay. kinda got excited there for a sec.

Is anyone here from Seattle or LA by any chance?

I live about five hours north and east of Seattle- closer than Rochester :)

Since we are talking about the places we are from, is anyone here near or from the Nashville/Murfreesboro TN area? Perhaps we can grab a bite to eat and talk about our Fulbright ideas together. :P

36 minutes ago, AnnMarie said:

Since we are talking about the places we are from, is anyone here near or from the Nashville/Murfreesboro TN area? Perhaps we can grab a bite to eat and talk about our Fulbright ideas together. :P

I live really close to Nashville lol

5 hours ago, Dobrih said:

Ndfan2373, srhkdr, rapskalien congrats to all you on being selected as finalists for the Czech Republic! I am thrilled to be able to say that I have been selected as a finalist too! Dash123, I’m sorry about the limbo you have been put into by being selected as an alternate. I am sending all my best wishes (for whatever they’re worth) towards you, so that you get selected!

Unrelated to all that, l was looking at the discussion about the relative prestige and resume boost an ETA grant has vs a research grant. Since my plan after Fulbright is to go to law school, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether a Fulbright ETA is a "strong soft" for a law school app? BTW, I already know that 90% of what adcoms care about is lsat and gpa, but I've heard that a "strong soft" can potentially get a person accepted to a school that is one tier higher than what their gpa and lsat scores would predict.

Thanks for the well-wishes! As I understand it, GPA and LSAT are the main indicators for law school admissions, much more mathematical than most. But I know someone who got waitlisted to YLS, did a year of volunteer teaching in in South America (not through Fulbright mind you) and reapplied the next year and got in. So I think international experience is a good "strong soft" but that's just from what I've heard! I think it depends a lot on the individual school's admissions preferences; some seem more rigidly focused on the numbers while others seem more apt to diversify.

Re: my alternate limbo - I wish I knew more of the numbers so I had a better idea of my chances! There are supposedly 30 ETAs to the Czech Republic this year. Anybody know how many alternates are usually chosen per award? If I were the only alternate for those 30, I'd feel pretty good about those chances haha but if there's an alternate for every spot, less so.

5 hours ago, Dobrih said:

3 hours ago, LibbyCreek said:

This is all good info for me. I am looking at a fully funded masters or the Fulbright (I'll know any day now right?). It sounds like, given that I am in the social sciences, that a fully funded masters could be a great deal, but that if I am willing to reapply I might get into better schools with better funding AFTER the Fulbright. 

Still taking thoughts from anyone and I appreciate all the good thinking thus far!

Just make sure you check into deferment options. Then you might be able to get both!

4 hours ago, inkstainedarm said:

Lifelong Seattle resident here!

I'm down in Rochester (just north of Centralia)! I'm also hoping to do a program in Medieval History in the U.K. - what university did you apply to? If I get it, I'll be at the University of Reading. I really hope we get notified this week. All this waiting is torture. :P