Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

1 minute ago, emmajust said:

So, do you guys think the UK results will come in before next Tuesday?

My fingers are crossed but I have a feeling we will find out next week on the 28th.

Today I was awarded a substantial grant from my home institution to conduct the same research project, and I must accept/decline by April 3. No word back from the Fulbright Commission. How to proceed? 

EDIT: I couldn't combine the two sources of funding. 

Edited by caeiro

1 minute ago, caeiro said:

Today I was awarded a substantial grant from my home institution to conduct the same research project, and I must accept/decline by April 3. No word back from the Fulbright Commission. How to proceed? 

Pray that the fulbright contacts you before then. Maybe call 

17 minutes ago, caeiro said:

you may be able to accept both - as long as the funds are not being duplicated. For example, if your home school grant covers travel, then you can't claim that you will use Fulbright funds for that same travel. But you could use it for other things within scope. Try for both!

EDIT: oh if you can't combine, then nevermind

Edited by patient0

2 minutes ago, theanine said:

two more hours till we can expect to hear from Korea ETA, if we even will...!!

@lightaheadi @Tera + whoever else is Korea ETA, I'm praying for us <3 <3 <3 

and for everyone else too, of course! 

really really really hope we hear today~~ My anxious heart can't take it anymore ToT

3 minutes ago, ibette said:

My colleague from Syria got me Lebanese food :) soooo good!

6 minutes ago, mckenna81 said:

Let's all get Mexican food to celebrate, what the hell.

Lesb...I mean Lebanese food is awesome. man gotta stop mixing those two up!

Aw shucks, wish you guys were all in Austin, this place is packed with great Mexican and Lebanese places. Anything to your little heart's deepest food desires

1 hour ago, ld4977 said:

Hi guys -- I actually wouldn't worry too much about this. I did a lot of State Dept Google searches when I was in waiting hell, and found the list of the Fulbright Board Members: https://eca.state.gov/fulbright/about-fulbright/j-william-fulbright-foreign-scholarship-board-ffsb/ffsb-members. Most of them appear to be holdovers from the Obama administration, or have leadership positions that would lead me to believe they are sympathetic to "leftist" issues. I've also read that it's extremely rare that the board will reject somebody who has been approved by the US screening committee and the commission in your country. There has to be a pretty glaring red flag, or an issue with your background check. Who knows, it may even prove to be the opposite situation -- many of the left-leaning board members might feel extra supportive of a project about refugees or far-right politics as their own small way of saying f**k you to the new administration. :) I wouldn't lose sleep over this, unless your project proposals had an antagonistic, militant activist tone, which I'm sure they didn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/18/president-obama-has-nominated-123-people-to-fill-administration-positions-this-year/?utm_term=.c4695339a5d4

Obama actually appointed 8 new members to the FFSB 2 days before he left office and basically filled up the board.

I'm personally not really worried about the FFSB but since the Department of State has been slowly filling up with Trump appointees, I kind of ended up getting worried about social media profiles? I ended up just checking over my privacy settings again and such. As for my application, it focused mostly on the subject of cultural exchange (and space exploration) rather than politics so I'm not quite worried about that either. I do briefly mention the problem of climate change but it just makes me  extremely sad that that even is something to worry about under this administration. 

I'm extremely concerned about Fulbright program being eliminated after this year but I'm sure we'll be stand up against that together.

1 minute ago, Dilemma1 said:

I'm so sorry :( 

It will be okay. I am just trying to wrap my head around it. Is this real? Them notifying SSA in March? Feels so out of the blue. The disbelief is leaving me and I am starting to feel devastated! 

5 minutes ago, milliedaisy said:

FYI South Africa notified me of being not selected.... trying to not be totally devastated. 

((HUGS)) sending you some love and wishing you more exciting things in store. This was my third attempt on going to my country of choice (second time for Fulbright) so I understand the how defeating it can be and I hope that you continue to pursue your project.