Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

2 minutes ago, aheather said:

Stiiiiiiiill waiting on Malaysia!

What's been your coping mechanism? I've gotten SUPER into Korean skincare products in the past month (??? why? why can't I have normal hobbies???)

Eating everything in sight has been my go-to strategy this week

2 hours ago, Stormtrooper1138 said:

Oh i feel ya...Waiting for the UK notification is giving me a damn ulcer 

ME TOO! ? They just need to freaking tell us already. Every time my iPhone 'dings' with an email, I'm like: ???. Fingers crossed and praying UK notifications come tomorrow! ????????

5 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

Oh man, this also. Let's not talk about how much fried food I've ingested.

Better than the wait for MFA rejections, though! Someone in the MFA applicants community got a rumor started that eating pizza would yield good juju and result in an acceptance phone call. I ate more pizza in a month than I had for the last 21 years lol. No luck, sadly.

7 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

@aheather that's what I was about to say too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm eating so many almonds, of all things. It's making me ill! I swear this application stress has made me gain five pounds. 

43 minutes ago, aheather said:

What's been your coping mechanism? I've gotten SUPER into Korean skincare products in the past month (??? why? why can't I have normal hobbies???)

I got the Flu...so that's been helpful...

I've applied to both the Fulbright and the Irish Research Council postdoctoral fellowship. The IRC has an online system where you can check your status, AND IT'S CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION. Between that and waiting on Fulbright notifications, my nails are bitten down to nothing.

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, and I wanted to thank you all for the incredible amount of support you all provide each other on here. I didn't find this forum until late February, and I continuously checked it as I waited for my final notification. I applied to do research in Guatemala, and I was notified last Wednesday (3/15) that I am an alternate. It definitely hurt getting that dreaded alternate status because I am now only depending on a Public Policy Fellowship I applied for in DC. If I don't get that, I honestly don't know what I will be doing next year. I am currently a senior in undergrad, and I eventually plan on going to law school, but I knew I wanted to take a gap year so I didn't apply this year. Now, I think I'm regretting that... But I haven't lost hope yet! I'm probably going to apply to other programs like AmeriCorps and just pray that I get bumped up from alternate! :) 

Good luck to everyone who still have yet to hear back!!!

11 hours ago, aheather said:

oh my god hahahaha. Please tell me you've used the carbonated bubble clay mask (elizavecca), and I'm super into the belif line right now. HI NEW FRIEND.

9 hours ago, sunflower95 said:

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, and I wanted to thank you all for the incredible amount of support you all provide each other on here. I didn't find this forum until late February, and I continuously checked it as I waited for my final notification. I applied to do research in Guatemala, and I was notified last Wednesday (3/15) that I am an alternate. It definitely hurt getting that dreaded alternate status because I am now only depending on a Public Policy Fellowship I applied for in DC. If I don't get that, I honestly don't know what I will be doing next year. I am currently a senior in undergrad, and I eventually plan on going to law school, but I knew I wanted to take a gap year so I didn't apply this year. Now, I think I'm regretting that... But I haven't lost hope yet! I'm probably going to apply to other programs like AmeriCorps and just pray that I get bumped up from alternate! :) 

Good luck to everyone who still have yet to hear back!!!

I have been an AmeriCorps volunteer for the past 2 years now (first as a state/national and then as a VISTA).  Although it was my Plan C, it ended up being one of the best decisions of my life. Plus the AmeriCorps name has opened a lot of doors and resources to me I never knew existed.  Let me know if you have any questions!

17 hours ago, Horb said:

CONGRATS!

17 hours ago, patient0 said:

wow that's so cool! congrats!!

17 hours ago, Jess2323 said:

@jarp729 Congrats!!

Thanks so much! 

Best of luck for everyone else that's still waiting - I've got my fingers crossed for you all! I'm currently trying to figure out what exactly my research is going to look like now - El Nino has left the city I am moving to in about 6 inches of water... lots of people are devastated by the destruction :(

Just to confirm, I did get the two emails like everyone else. However, "Congratulations" subject line came a good 3 minutes before the (P) subject line, so be aware!

23 minutes ago, theanine said:

I'm willing to buy a goat for real

The farm I apprentice at just had a bunch of kids last week...one of the dams pretty much gave birth right into my arms. So I've been hanging with those little guys a lot to cope with the stress. It's also put me at peace with whatever the results may be...I have a great thing going here and Fulbright can't change that. 

So yes, baby goats work.

9 minutes ago, Kifli said:

Does anyone know what exactly the FFSB does after your country submits its list of finalists/alternates? Does the FFSB also deliberate on selections or is that merely a formality? 

Also, has anyone else been getting weird stress dreams? In mine I am either opening my inbox to find an email from the Commission with the subject line "NSA" and/or a tsunami hits and I am yanked off the toilet!

It seems like it's more of a formality.  On page four it outlines the final selection process.

http://gradfellows.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/Fulbright-Selection-Process.pdf

46 minutes ago, jmhawkin24 said:

East-Asia Pacific will notify today - speak it into existence!

I need to stop visiting this site everyday. I'm Cambodia Research semi-finalist, and part of me realizes we won't likely find out till Early/Mid April. ITS.KILLING.ME. 

I'm just frustrated as an applicant to Cambodia, where there is no ETA program and only 4 spots for research...why can't they just get the small Fulbright countries out of the way first!!! 

Anybody currently living overseas? I'm in a Peace Corps volunteer in Benin, West Africa (sitting here in my town with a super slow connection refreshing my e-mail takes up a nice chunk of my late afternoons), and due to the time difference, I have to essentially wait another day more to see if any new notifications arrived. I found out that I was a semi-finalist during a mid-night bathroom run and that ruined my night's sleep for sure!  

Now every time I go to the bathroom at night I check my phone in hopes of a magical blue dot to suddenly appear, or rush out of bed as if it is x-mas morning to check my e-mails. 

Guess the torture shall continue...

2 minutes ago, jakem1023 said:

Anybody currently living overseas? I'm in a Peace Corps volunteer in Benin, West Africa (sitting here in my town with a super slow connection refreshing my e-mail takes up a nice chunk of my late afternoons), and due to the time difference, I have to essentially wait another day more to see if any new notifications arrived. I found out that I was a semi-finalist during a mid-night bathroom run and that ruined my night's sleep for sure!  

Now every time I go to the bathroom at night I check my phone in hopes of a magical blue dot to suddenly appear, or rush out of bed as if it is x-mas morning to check my e-mails. 

Guess the torture shall continue...

I live in Russia, and I can totally relate!  I found out about my semi-final status at 3 am :)