Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

10 hours ago, Sigwarz said:

I'm either going to have the best birthday month, or the worst. Depending on the news from the UK. Reading about the Netherlands, Bulgaria, and Poland. Congrats! I hope to know by early this week. So close, but so FARRRRR.

I did get confirmation from my Uni that they received my deposit to secure a place for me in Cornwall. Unrelated to the Fulbright, but the email got me excited.

Anyone else from on the gradcafe waiting on UK results??

Yep! I'm waiting to hear back about Leicester.  What are you hoping to study at the University of Exeter? 

1 hour ago, inkstainedarm said:

Hey UK applicants: did any of you get a scholarship award in your acceptance/offer letters? 

Sadly, no. The Fulbright Award is my only chance of being able to afford accepting my university's offer. :( I hope we get our decisions tomorrow! I don't know how much more of this waiting I can stand. ?

Hey UK applicants: did any of you get a scholarship award in your acceptance/offer letters? 

I accepted my offer last year and deferred so I could try for the Fulbright. There is one scholarship I qualify for that covers half-bursary, but that's it.  I really don't want to go in more debt for an MA! 

I didn't get any scholarships. Fulbright is my only chance at funding my Masters. Any particular reason why you ask?

On 3/19/2017 at 0:53 AM, Dilemma1 said:

Yep! I'm waiting to hear back about Leicester.  What are you hoping to study at the University of Exeter? 

@Dilemma1 I hope we hear results tomorrow. How did your interview go? I am going to start my MSc in Biodiversity and Conservation at the Penryn campus. What are you planning on studying?

18 minutes ago, Sigwarz said:

I didn't get any scholarships. Fulbright is my only chance at funding my Masters. Any particular reason why you ask?

Well, my application ended up going through really late because of an administrative error, and so I just got my offer letter 2 days ago--and in it, they announced I had been awarded a scholarship for the exact amount of the full tuition fee. But UEA doesn't offer full scholarships for international post grads, as far as I can tell from their website. So I'm wondering if this unnamed yet very large and unexpected scholarship could be what I'm hoping it might be...won't know until Fulbright officially notifies, though!

16 minutes ago, inkstainedarm said:

Well, my application ended up going through really late because of an administrative error, and so I just got my offer letter 2 days ago--and in it, they announced I had been awarded a scholarship for the exact amount of the full tuition fee. But UEA doesn't offer full scholarships for international post grads, as far as I can tell from their website. So I'm wondering if this unnamed yet very large and unexpected scholarship could be what I'm hoping it might be...won't know until Fulbright officially notifies, though!

@inkstainedarm That is interesting!! I hope so too! I also got an email a couple of days ago from my Uni with the first line of it saying "We are delighted to confirm that we have now received either your deposit payment or official confirmation of sponsorship to secure your place on the MSc Conservation and Biodiversity programme." I thought that was interesting how it didnt specify either the deposit payment or the scholarship, especially since I secured my deposit since the deadline in November 2016. I am hoping the timing of this email is because they will notify us soon aka THIS WEEK. 

2 minutes ago, Sigwarz said:

@inkstainedarm That is interesting!! I hope so too! I also got an email a couple of days ago from my Uni with the first line of it saying "We are delighted to confirm that we have now received either your deposit payment or official confirmation of sponsorship to secure your place on the MSc Conservation and Biodiversity programme." I thought that was interesting how it didnt specify either the deposit payment or the scholarship, especially since I secured my deposit since the deadline in November 2016. I am hoping the timing of this email is because they will notify us soon aka THIS WEEK. 

Damn, I hope that means they've just received sponsorship confirmation for you from Fulbright! Gah...I just want the waiting to be over and for all of us to know (and, hopefully, to have all succeeded!)

On 3/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, Dobrih said:

Ndfan2373, srhkdr, rapskalien congrats to all you on being selected as finalists for the Czech Republic! I am thrilled to be able to say that I have been selected as a finalist too! Dash123, I’m sorry about the limbo you have been put into by being selected as an alternate. I am sending all my best wishes (for whatever they’re worth) towards you, so that you get selected!

Unrelated to all that, l was looking at the discussion about the relative prestige and resume boost an ETA grant has vs a research grant. Since my plan after Fulbright is to go to law school, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether a Fulbright ETA is a "strong soft" for a law school app? BTW, I already know that 90% of what adcoms care about is lsat and gpa, but I've heard that a "strong soft" can potentially get a person accepted to a school that is one tier higher than what their gpa and lsat scores would predict.

Hey just wanted to rectify something I said earlier - I assumed that a friend of mine had gotten accepted his second time applying to YLS because he's padded his resume with teaching experience in South America. But I just spoke with him a few days ago and he said he had retaken the LSAT and scored much higher and he attributes getting into his top choice law school to that. According to everyone I've talked to, an ETA won't help with law school (still seems pretty strictly LSAT and GPA unless you have something truly exemplary). But it's a valuable human experience to spend time in another country if you ask me!

On 3/17/2017 at 5:31 PM, catsbloom said:

Darn, I was really hoping Bulgaria ETA decisions would go out this afternoon since the research notifications went out this morning. Hopefully we don't have to wait until next Friday or longer.

@edon16 @Jess2323 - Are you guys feeling a little stir crazy too?

Yes! Like, why does this have to be the year they split the notification dates for research and ETA? I'm sure it wasn't intentional or ideal for them either but grr.

Here is to another week of hope and waiting. Glad to have each other for support!

12 minutes ago, edon16 said:

Yes! Like, why does this have to be the year they split the notification dates for research and ETA? I'm sure it wasn't intentional or ideal for them either but grr.

Here is to another week of hope and waiting. Glad to have each other for support!

Netherlands did the same thing! :( And if the excel document is all correct, several other countries have as well. They're just getting our hopes up!

12 hours ago, inkstainedarm said:

Yes, I have a full scholarship with university programme. I applied to the fulbright open award UK. Not sure how it will work with my scholarship yet.. probably will only be able to accept partial funds or something.

4 minutes ago, momo25 said:

What does that mean that they "split notifications?" Like between ETA and study/research?

In the past Bulgaria (and others) announced both the ETA and research decisions on the same day - but this year it was split up. So they announced the research decisions last week but not ETA decisions. I was assuming that they came on the same day because the google doc has only one row for Bulgaria (ETA+Research) while other countries have 2 rows that list specific dates for research and ETA decisions separately. 

25 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

It's honestly worse that they split notifications this year because now the spreadsheet feels kind of useless. I just thought we'd have to survive until our country notified. 

It's awful - but lets stay hopeful and say we can all grab a coffee when we meet in Sophia!