Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

3 hours ago, jarp729 said:

There is one document, the terms and conditions, that you can download from the admitted portal. It's about 10 pages and requires you to initial each page, and sign at the bottom. This can be uploaded to the portal ASAP. Hold on to the pdf.

Peru did not contact for almost a week after I was notified. The response time for the email from the commissions is country specific - once you get this email, they should send two or three documents.

1) the terms and conditions (which you've already completed and submitted to IIE hopefully) which you can already return assuming you've saved the copy you uploaded to the people in NYC.

2) The Grant Award document. This was one page for me, and details my grant start date, length, monthly stipend amount, and requires a signature. This will be emailed back to your contact in the commission, and will need to be uploaded in the IIE portal for approval as well.

3) I received a questionnaire asking for details on my passport, photos, expected departure and arrival dates, dependent information, and details on my affiliation for the consulate to get me a research for the duration of my stay. I don't know if all countries include this, but it's a possibility.

Hope this helps clarify somewhat. Be patient!

Thanks for the input. It's been almost two weeks since I got the first email. I emailed the US person and haven't gotten an answer. 

When do Peru and Colombia start their grants periods? Maybe it's earlier than mine.

7 minutes ago, amadeustx said:

Has anyone gotten a hold of the Germany ETA contact person? I have called but no answer. I am also worried that calling may annoy/distract the Fulbright people. 

I am exhausted from getting super anxious when 5:30 comes around then not hearing anything back.

Honestly, they are not likely to give you any substantial information if you call. It's terrible waiting but hang in there. They'll get to it.

Edited by thepictureisstill

21 minutes ago, mdct123 said:

Thanks for the input. It's been almost two weeks since I got the first email. I emailed the US person and haven't gotten an answer. 

When do Peru and Colombia start their grants periods? Maybe it's earlier than mine.

Mine is supposed to start in August, but I requested an early start date the first week of July. I don't think this really had anything to do with it though, as I didn't request the change until after I heard back from their commission.

1 hour ago, jarp729 said:

Mine is supposed to start in August, but I requested an early start date the first week of July. I don't think this really had anything to do with it though, as I didn't request the change until after I heard back from their commission.

I do think it has something to do with it--some Latin American countries go by the school year, so they start in February of next year. I guess the commission contacts us later then... I'm surprised that Peru doesn't adhere to the school year there...

2 hours ago, mdct123 said:

I start in August too and runs until May 2018. 

Edited by ibette
This is for Colombia.

Feeling really down about this Alternate status. My professors and the Fulbright advisor at my school have been encouraging and just angels following this bad news, but it's still rough. 

I applied for 10 things this year (7 grad schools, Fulbright, Jet, and Tapif). I've been rejected from 8, alternate at 1, and waiting to hear back from the last (and I don't even WANT it at this point!).

Life goes on, but man, this is a bitter pill to swallow! 

sending good luck vibes to other alternates, and hey, if you got a grant to Malaysia that you don't want, feel free to pass it this way lol 

7 minutes ago, aheather said:

Feeling really down about this Alternate status. My professors and the Fulbright advisor at my school have been encouraging and just angels following this bad news, but it's still rough. 

I applied for 10 things this year (7 grad schools, Fulbright, Jet, and Tapif). I've been rejected from 8, alternate at 1, and waiting to hear back from the last (and I don't even WANT it at this point!).

sending good luck vibes to other alternates, and hey, if you got a grant to Malaysia that you don't want, feel free to pass it this way lol 

Feeling very similarly! My advisor at my school and friend who's currently on her Fulbright in Bosnia both said they thought I was an especially strong candidate. Keep in mind (something I'm trying to tell myself) is that they may just be looking for different profiles of people. I know I don't want to be a teacher professionally which may have worked against me. My job search has resulted in only rejections as well, and not knowing what to do after graduation (in a month) is a pretty startling feeling, but lots of people go through it. 

If you want to chat more, PM me, because I feel like we're in a similar place! Good vibes good vibes. And anyone who doesn't want their ETA to Malaysia, you know where to find aheather and I ;) 

Also congrats to RydraWong! Envious but damn proud. :P

Edited by mrhappy895

33 minutes ago, aheather said:

Awwwww no!!! I'm so sorry. Rejections are really demoralizing. I'm sure there are lots of awesome opportunities out there for you still, and who knows! One of them might still be the Fulbright. It's huge to have come this far, either way. Sending comforting thoughts your way :/

Hi everyone. I am so happy I found this forum. I just spent the last hour reading through old pages. I'm a semi finalist for an archival research grant in Ireland and I'm freaking out! This wait is so long and longer than it seems it was in the past. 

Im having a hard time coping. My stomach feels like it's going to explode. Some people have mentioned they knew the country commissions had already sent their notifications back to the US before people were notified. Anyone happen to know whether Ireland has?

3 minutes ago, Nirerin said:

Hi everyone. I am so happy I found this forum. I just spent the last hour reading through old pages. I'm a semi finalist for an archival research grant in Ireland and I'm freaking out! This wait is so long and longer than it seems it was in the past. 

Im having a hard time coping. My stomach feels like it's going to explode. Some people have mentioned they knew the country commissions had already sent their notifications back to the US before people were notified. Anyone happen to know whether Ireland has?

Ireland is holding out on us!!

edit: no I have no clue if their commission has returned decisions but abdd14 and I have been freaking out too.

Edited by thepictureisstill

East Asia-Pacific people: Who else absolutely lost it today with the notifications from Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines showing up on the spreadsheet? I was absolutely freaking out. Does this mean that we can expect more tomorrow?! This has been the most promising day of noties in a longgggg time...

49 minutes ago, gorilla_queen said:

East Asia-Pacific people: Who else absolutely lost it today with the notifications from Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines showing up on the spreadsheet? I was absolutely freaking out. Does this mean that we can expect more tomorrow?! This has been the most promising day of noties in a longgggg time...

Good luck! I hope you get it! Which nation are you waiting to hear back from?

3 hours ago, Nirerin said:

I've been so stressed that my mouth hurts! I've been clenching my jaw without even realizing it on and off for a week. 

omg this was happening to me so bad before i found out! ..and of course, the one time i was at a movie theater and couldn't check my phone and stress is when i received my notification lol.. hang in there!

9 hours ago, thepictureisstill said:

Ireland is holding out on us!!

edit: no I have no clue if their commission has returned decisions but abdd14 and I have been freaking out too.

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this will be any consolation or just make it worse, but as an Irish applicant to Fulbright I can tell you that we have not been notified yet either. I know last year's Irish applicants were notified on 16 March (2 days before American Fulbright applicants according to spreadsheet). Not sure if that's the standard pattern or anything but it is the only wee nugget of info I have.

Beannacht libh go léir! 

3 hours ago, Budgetmitten said:

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this will be any consolation or just make it worse, but as an Irish applicant to Fulbright I can tell you that we have not been notified yet either. I know last year's Irish applicants were notified on 16 March (2 days before American Fulbright applicants according to spreadsheet). Not sure if that's the standard pattern or anything but it is the only wee nugget of info I have.

Beannacht libh go léir! 

Ah best of luck to you! I am hoping today is the day.

Today will be the day. I'm going to manifest it!

1 hour ago, thepictureisstill said:

Ah best of luck to you! I am hoping today is the day.

Today will be the day. I'm going to manifest it!

I hope so! But I'm afraid Ireland applicants may be waiting a bit longer.

I applied for one of the specific degree program grants and the program has been suspended from the school's side. I heard this directly from the school and haven't heard from Fulbright on whether or not they plan to find another way to run the grant. 

But since it seems the country results come out all together, part of the wait may be due to the commission having to figure out that issue.