Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

13 minutes ago, mckenna81 said:

I am actively seeking a job, since my current position ends when I graduate in May. I figure the Fulbright is not something I can bank on, so I need to be searching for a solid plan B. I've had a few interviews, and came close to getting hired in one job. I'm not bringing up the Fulbright, at all. Even though it seems more "honest," you risk being pegged as someone who will leave whenever a better opportunity comes along. If I end up accepting a job and then get the Fulbright, I will simply reverse course and decline the job. I've been a working professional for over a decade now (I'm almost 15 years out of college), and if I've learned anything it's that you have to protect your own interests. Don't burn bridges, but also don't sacrifice your own well-being for a job - because your job will likely not make similar sacrifices for you. 

I second this. I'm not mentioning Fulbright to potential employers and removed "Fulbright semi-finalist" from the CV's I'm giving them (though I'm keeping it for residency opportunities).

5 minutes ago, wonkyscholar said:

Japan notified around 10am, which I was not expecting at all - Congratulations everyone! I am an Alternate, so the waiting continues! It feels like I'm still in a limbo state since the 6 finalists in the newly graduated research category could make any decisions that may or may not impact this. But it's still a blessing that I've made it this far, I'll just have to see how things turn out over the next month.

Congrats! Sending positive vibes your way. Regardless of the final outcome, Alternate is a huge achievement!

1 hour ago, mckenna81 said:

I am actively seeking a job, since my current position ends when I graduate in May. I figure the Fulbright is not something I can bank on, so I need to be searching for a solid plan B. I've had a few interviews, and came close to getting hired in one job. I'm not bringing up the Fulbright, at all. Even though it seems more "honest," you risk being pegged as someone who will leave whenever a better opportunity comes along. If I end up accepting a job and then get the Fulbright, I will simply reverse course and decline the job. I've been a working professional for over a decade now (I'm almost 15 years out of college), and if I've learned anything it's that you have to protect your own interests. Don't burn bridges, but also don't sacrifice your own well-being for a job - because your job will likely not make similar sacrifices for you. 

This is a wonderful answer, thank you so much!

1 hour ago, landofsmiles said:

I tried calling for East Asia-Pacific and it went to voicemail :( also, how is everyone handling job interviews now? I've been applying to jobs and had some interviews but I don't know if I should tell them about Fulbright or pretend I don't know about it.. some companies want immediate answers that I obviously can't provide yet, but I also don't want to screw myself over. Thanks! :) Good luck to everyone today!!

We discussed this maybe a page before your comment, if you want to go back and see more answers.

I, unlike @mckenna81, did disclose that I applied for Fulbright and am waiting to hear back. I only told jobs once I made it to the interview phase, and if I was specifically prompted with the question of what else I'm applying for. It has worked well for me, my top choice position has decided that they're not hiring anyone until I hear back from Malaysia (no pressure), which makes me think I'll have the job if I don't have the grant. If I was applying for places that I wouldn't go back to in the future after Fulbright is done, I wouldn't tell them, and I'd just decline the offer if it came once I got the Fulbright. However, because I know the organizations I'm applying to are places I want to be at some point, I'm trying to be fully open with them and it is going well. Just a second perspective, no clue if what I'm doing is /right/ or whatever! 

1 hour ago, wonkyscholar said:

Japan notified around 10am, which I was not expecting at all - Congratulations everyone! I am an Alternate, so the waiting continues! It feels like I'm still in a limbo state since the 6 finalists in the newly graduated research category could make any decisions that may or may not impact this. But it's still a blessing that I've made it this far, I'll just have to see how things turn out over the next month.

Congrats on being an Alternate! That's really stellar, and my fingers are crossed for you that you'll move right up, and into Japan :)

21 hours ago, Imke said:

Yeah @cruxclaire, I'm in the same boat as aheather. I applied for a job and I told them that I was applying for the Fulbright  in the interview. It went pretty well, so they called me after and asked when I would hear from the Fulbright. I told them the time frame that I was expecting to hear back and they're currently waiting to hear my result before making a final hiring decision. They even told me that if I was accepted, they would be willing to offer me a position next year, upon the completion of the Fulbright. So my recommendation is to go ahead and apply anyway, and just be honest about your other possibilities!

I think that's solid advice. I'm in transition of leaving my current job to live/work in a new city and I just want to know if i can go ahead and move all my crap to Houston or leave it here in Austin. Also, it's kind of nice to see the other Germany ETAs on here haha. That's very comforting for me. 

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

I think that's solid advice. I'm in transition of leaving my current job to live/work in a new city and I just want to know if i can go ahead and move all my crap to Houston or leave it here in Austin. Also, it's kind of nice to see the other Germany ETAs on here haha. That's very comforting for me. 

Thanks! It's also worth noting that I, exactly like aheather, didn't bring the Fulbright up until I was in the interview stage and they asked me directly about what else I was applying for- my original plan was to stay mum, but I'm glad I was honest when they asked. Either way, I would just like to hear back from anything at this point, including my summer internships that I've been interviewing for... my life after May is just a big mysterious black hole right now haha.

And I know!! I feel like the Germany ETA group has quite a presence on here and on the spreadsheet, which is immensely comforting. I've been a bundle of nerves for the past two weeks.

1 hour ago, 18C said:

Is anyone else waiting on the Mexico research notification? Aye, aye, aye!!!!! Finding it difficult to focus on anything else. Good luck to everyone!

Me! I too have been continuously distracted for the last couple weeks...

7 minutes ago, Imke said:

... my life after May is just a big mysterious black hole right now haha.

THIS IS SO RELATABLE

I'm working at a summer camp, so I'm covered through the end of August. After that, which continent will I live on? We don't know!

On 3/27/2017 at 1:24 PM, srhkdr said:

Medically cleared! I don't know why I was so worried about it, but this makes everything feel so much more real now! I should also hear about my school placement tomorrow. ^_^ Still sending good vibes to everyone waiting to hear back! <3

How long after you submitted your medical clearance forms did it take them to clear you? I've been waiting about 2 weeks at this point...

59 minutes ago, blakec1988 said:

How long after you submitted your medical clearance forms did it take them to clear you? I've been waiting about 2 weeks at this point...

Idk why but mine took 6 business days. It did say it is completely normal for it to take 2-3 weeks though. What country are you going to? 

Thanks to everyone who talked about their interview/hiring experiences! It's already 3:00 Eastern, so I don't think Germany ETA will notify today, so it's probably time to start sending in applications and resumes.

My phone pinged at 6 this morning and it woke me up and I couldn't fall back asleep after that because I was so convinced today would be the day, but I guess not -- better luck tomorrow, hopefully! I feel like that's what I've been saying every day since notifications started, lol. 

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a while :ph34r: and have been commiserating wholeheartedly with everyone about waiting for results. Bahrain usually doesn't notify until late April so I wasn't expecting anything until then, but I just got the email that I am a finalist for the ETA!!!! If anyone else is going to be in the Gulf area for research or ETA let me know!!! :D

On a side note, I also won a CLS award to study Arabic in Oman this summer, but the PDO for Fulbright is right in the middle of the CLS period. Has anyone had experience with or known someone who has been able to miss the Fulbright PDO for this reason? The dates for the actual CLS and Fulbright periods don't conflict, just the orientation.

You guys are amazing and have kept me sane the past few months. Thank you for being here!!! 

1 hour ago, srhkdr said:

Idk why but mine took 6 business days. It did say it is completely normal for it to take 2-3 weeks though. What country are you going to? 

I'm going to Panama! I wasn't sure that I put the right grantee ID#. It said to put the number included in the notification email, but that was too long so I just included the numbers after the first two letters. What's weird is that this is a complete different ID from what shows in my Student Self-service portal. We'll see what happens!

1 minute ago, blakec1988 said:

I'm going to Panama! I wasn't sure that I put the right grantee ID#. It said to put the number included in the notification email, but that was too long so I just included the numbers after the first two letters. What's weird is that this is a complete different ID from what shows in my Student Self-service portal. We'll see what happens!

I remember that! I just put the numbers and not the letters. Weird about the different ID numbers though. I would shoot them an email to ask about the different IDs. It may also taking longer for a non commission countries? Or developing countries that would have less resources for health issues? Or the doctor reviewing your region is slow haha 

Thank you everyone for your encouragement! The optimism is very welcome.

To quote my FPA on alternate status: "this is an odd kind of purgatory...That said, I have worked with quite a few applicants who did indeed get promoted to recipient after initially being named alternates, so it does happen fairly often." So I'm sure it depends on the ratio of finalists to alternates, but the status exists for a reason so it definitely can yield positive results for both those declining and those getting 'promoted.'

Congrats @screel45 ~

Edited by wonkyscholar

Thanks to everyone who offered job advice! It's all very useful.

3 minutes ago, jmhawkin24 said:

Thailand ETA please let today be the day!

Every time I see your posts I have a heart attack thinking that Thailand notified :o hopefully today is the day!!

3 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

Excellent! I proposed to work in Ballyvaughan, co. Clare. Where have you spent time? 

Nice! I've been a little bit of everywhere, but have spent the most time in Dublin and Galway (which you'd be close to in Ballyvaughn). I'm in the arts, so most of the research I do is in urban centers.

On 3/28/2017 at 10:25 AM, theanine said:

To those of you who are Finalists, how soon did the Commission get in touch with you after you were notified? Was it only after you submitted the documents, or..?

I think it depends on the country. The Polish commission sent me an email the day after I was notified with a confirmation letter.