Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

19 minutes ago, jmhawkin24 said:

Macedonia just notified according to the spreadsheet

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking but I'm the Macedonia applicant on the spreadsheet and wanted to let any other Macedonia hopefuls out there that I'm declining the grant in favor of the CBYX grant to Germany, so an ETA spot will be opening up. 

I wish all of you the best on your Fulbright and other life adventures! I've been so impressed by the support everyone provides each other despite technically being in competition, and I know you'll all do great things! Also, if any Germany Fulbrighters want to meet up in-country, feel free to shoot me a message and we can get in touch via email or Facebook. I'll be arriving in Germany in late July, although I don't yet know where I'll be placed.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, cruxclaire said:

I've been putting off applying to full time jobs because I wanted to know about the Fulbright and be sure I could safely accept any offers beforehand (I don't want to burn any bridges with so little work experience), but I'm graduating in May and waiting is starting to seem like a bad move. If Germany doesn't notify today or tomorrow (or if I get bad news today or tomorrow lol) I think I'll just start applying places.

I actually forgot I had applied for Fulbright and accepted a job back in November. Now I'm stuck waiting for Germany to find out where I will be going next year. 

On 3/25/2017 at 6:01 PM, yoh_rrg said:

They haven't provided the location yet, but I plan to email next week since the interviewer said the schools themselves would be the ones selecting us.  Where are you going to be stationed?

I'll be in Amsterdam (I got the Fulbright offered through the VU University of Amsterdam, so I'll also be pursuing a Master's degree). So exited! It's going to be tough counting down the days til August...

1 hour ago, cruxclaire said:

I've been putting off applying to full time jobs because I wanted to know about the Fulbright and be sure I could safely accept any offers beforehand (I don't want to burn any bridges with so little work experience), but I'm graduating in May and waiting is starting to seem like a bad move. If Germany doesn't notify today or tomorrow (or if I get bad news today or tomorrow lol) I think I'll just start applying places.

I applied for a job I really, really want and told them during the interview that I am also a semi-finalist got Fulbright. I told them that if I get the grant, I will take it, but if I am an alternate or do not get the grant, I would love to work for them. I assured them that, should I sign a contract with them, I will honor that contract (even if I am an alternate and later pulled up from the list, I would then turn down the grant). They were really happy with this, and I believe they're holding off on making a decision on the new hire until I hear from Fulbright and let them know. 

4 minutes ago, Kifli said:

Don't you have to be in/fresh out of high school for Congress-Bundestag? How did you manage this, if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on both your grants!

I don't mind at all! CBYX also has a young professionals program, which anyone from college to age 24 is eligible for. I don't really know anything about the high school program, but the young professionals exchange also has a strong professional development component. I'll age out of that after this year so I'm accepting this offer and will likely apply for a Fulbright again in a few years, once I'm in grad school. Let me know if you have other questions! And thank you! Best of luck to you as well!

18 minutes ago, smithsonian25 said:

In this waiting game I am either like "I am one with the force, the force is with me" or "what do you mean I only refreshed 1 minute ago? It feels like it's been at least 15 minutes"... There is literally no in between. 

this is so me today. I am proctoring a state exam and have been refreshing my emails often when time permits.

36 minutes ago, aheather said:

I applied for a job I really, really want and told them during the interview that I am also a semi-finalist got Fulbright. I told them that if I get the grant, I will take it, but if I am an alternate or do not get the grant, I would love to work for them. I assured them that, should I sign a contract with them, I will honor that contract (even if I am an alternate and later pulled up from the list, I would then turn down the grant). They were really happy with this, and I believe they're holding off on making a decision on the new hire until I hear from Fulbright and let them know. 

Yeah @cruxclaire, I'm in the same boat as aheather. I applied for a job and I told them that I was applying for the Fulbright  in the interview. It went pretty well, so they called me after and asked when I would hear from the Fulbright. I told them the time frame that I was expecting to hear back and they're currently waiting to hear my result before making a final hiring decision. They even told me that if I was accepted, they would be willing to offer me a position next year, upon the completion of the Fulbright. So my recommendation is to go ahead and apply anyway, and just be honest about your other possibilities!

Edited by Imke
wrong tag!

17 hours ago, kclarkey said:

Looking to discuss some pre-departure anxieties with someone who has been in a similar situation. If anyone knows a female who has been or currently is a Fulbrighter in Latin America and is willing to exchange emails, please message me!

Sent you a PM!

Hey everyone! I've been hardcore lurking for sometime now - congratulations to all of this cycle's grantees so far! For those of you still waiting -- hang in there! To those of you who received an (A) or (NS), you are all incredible and there is so much ahead of you!!

I found out last Wednesday that I got an ETA for Senegal (woohoo!), and I'm wondering if any fellow Senegal (or Sub-Saharan Africa!) grantees are out there! I'd love to get to know y'all! :)

32 minutes ago, tellrachael said:

Hey everyone! I've been hardcore lurking for sometime now - congratulations to all of this cycle's grantees so far! For those of you still waiting -- hang in there! To those of you who received an (A) or (NS), you are all incredible and there is so much ahead of you!!

I found out last Wednesday that I got an ETA for Senegal (woohoo!), and I'm wondering if any fellow Senegal (or Sub-Saharan Africa!) grantees are out there! I'd love to get to know y'all! :)

I did not apply for Senegal, but did study there for nine months! I lived with a host family, took classes, and taught at a bilingual school. If you have any questions about Senegal or want to chat about it while you are there I would love to do so. Senegal holds a very special place in my heart! I miss it everyday. 

I tried calling for East Asia-Pacific and it went to voicemail :( also, how is everyone handling job interviews now? I've been applying to jobs and had some interviews but I don't know if I should tell them about Fulbright or pretend I don't know about it.. some companies want immediate answers that I obviously can't provide yet, but I also don't want to screw myself over. Thanks! :) Good luck to everyone today!!

5 minutes ago, landofsmiles said:

also, how is everyone handling job interviews now? I've been applying to jobs and had some interviews but I don't know if I should tell them about Fulbright or pretend I don't know about it.. 

I am actively seeking a job, since my current position ends when I graduate in May. I figure the Fulbright is not something I can bank on, so I need to be searching for a solid plan B. I've had a few interviews, and came close to getting hired in one job. I'm not bringing up the Fulbright, at all. Even though it seems more "honest," you risk being pegged as someone who will leave whenever a better opportunity comes along. If I end up accepting a job and then get the Fulbright, I will simply reverse course and decline the job. I've been a working professional for over a decade now (I'm almost 15 years out of college), and if I've learned anything it's that you have to protect your own interests. Don't burn bridges, but also don't sacrifice your own well-being for a job - because your job will likely not make similar sacrifices for you. 

Japan notified around 10am, which I was not expecting at all - Congratulations everyone! I am an Alternate, so the waiting continues! It feels like I'm still in a limbo state since the 6 finalists in the newly graduated research category could make any decisions that may or may not impact this. But it's still a blessing that I've made it this far, I'll just have to see how things turn out over the next month.

2 minutes ago, wonkyscholar said:

Japan notified around 10am, which I was not expecting at all - Congratulations everyone! I am an Alternate, so the waiting continues! It feels like I'm still in a limbo state since the 6 finalists in the newly graduated research category could make any decisions that may or may not impact this. But it's still a blessing that I've made it this far, I'll just have to see how things turn out over the next month.

Wow, congratulations and good luck! That's a huge achievement!

4 minutes ago, wonkyscholar said:

Congrats and best of luck to you!!