Which apps to ditch, which to keep?

coyabean

I have spent this whole cycle trying to strike the right balance of aspiration and calculated risks.

I'm down to the wire and I'm tired and almost broke.

I thought I'd ask for feedback on the smartest route in light of these two facts.

My stats:

-- 2.98..... GPA currently. It'll be a 3.0 but here we are.

-- 660v/520Q/5.5

-- independent research experience

-- pending journal article submission

-- "incandescent writing sample"; that's a quote because who should say something like that about themselves? gag

-- i'm a writer by former trade and nature so i think my SOP is solid -- this also makes me gag but i had no good quote to use

-- current research experience

-- not an UG major in my proposed doctoral discipline. i'm going from english and poli sci to anthro

-- no name UG

-- a nerdstar LOR

I've completed:

-- duke

-- unc

-- michigan state

-- university south florida (master's)

-- USC

100% committed to completing:

-- Penn

-- Princeton

-- Brown

I am debating if I have any glaring holes in my list and weighing that against time and money. Other schools I rotate in and off my list include:

-- Berkeley

-- University of Michigan

-- UIUC

-- American

-- Columbia

-- Brandeis

Are any of those remotely possible for me or worth spending the money on? I know it's a bizarre question but I guess I am wondering if my done and absolutely committed lists look like a good mix where at least one good offer looks possible. Are any of the extra apps worth the investment?

IF it helps I am focused on urban, complex socities' approach to formal and informal knowledge production and how those processes are stratified by race, SES, ethnicity.

Any glaring omissions? Any stupid long shots not worth the money? Stop with my application addiction?

I am not in anthropology, but I would bet that Michigan and Berkeley are huge long-shots with that GPA and GRE unless you have truly stellar research experience. If you're looking for places to cut costs, then I'd cut those first.

I have gotten in touch with professors at 5 of my 7 schools.

coya, are you driving your recommenders up a wall? I had thought about adding a school but then got nervous about having to ask my recommenders for another letter at this late date. How are you dealing with that?

If you feel like you have the time and money, go ahead and apply to your maybes. If not, let them go and take a great big breath and delete their pages from your bookmarks :)

Your already applied and definitely applying look pretty good (but I'm not in your field). Of your maybes, were any of them programmes you found "early" when you were first starting to research schools? Or really late? I know that I added ridiculous schools to my list early, to keep my options open, and late, because I'd become obsessed. At this point, I would probably include 1 dream school from the maybe list.

Your list is different than what's listed in your signature line. You've been at this for a while?

I have spent this whole cycle trying to strike the right balance of aspiration and calculated risks.

I'm down to the wire and I'm tired and almost broke.

I thought I'd ask for feedback on the smartest route in light of these two facts.

My stats:

-- 2.98..... GPA currently. It'll be a 3.0 but here we are.

-- 660v/520Q/5.5

-- independent research experience

-- pending journal article submission

-- "incandescent writing sample"; that's a quote because who should say something like that about themselves? gag

-- i'm a writer by former trade and nature so i think my SOP is solid -- this also makes me gag but i had no good quote to use

-- current research experience

-- not an UG major in my proposed doctoral discipline. i'm going from english and poli sci to anthro

-- no name UG

-- a nerdstar LOR

I've completed:

-- duke

-- unc

-- michigan state

-- USC

-- Penn

-- Princeton

-- Brown

I am debating if I have any glaring holes in my list and weighing that against time and money. Other schools I rotate in and off my list include:

-- Berkeley

-- UIUC

-- American

-- Columbia

-- Brandeis

Are any of those remotely possible for me or worth spending the money on? I know it's a bizarre question but I guess I am wondering if my done and absolutely committed lists look like a good mix where at least one good offer looks possible. Are any of the extra apps worth the investment?

IF it helps I am focused on urban, complex socities' approach to formal and informal knowledge production and how those processes are stratified by race, SES, ethnicity.

Any glaring omissions? Any stupid long shots not worth the money? Stop with my application addiction?

As a fellow anthropology applicant, I think you have a good mix of reaches/mids/safeties on your list. I would say though with places like Duke and Penn on your list adding more schools like Berkeley/Michigan is weighing heavy in reaches. (I am not applying to any of these schools and I am in a different sub discipline so don't worry about me discouraging you competitively speaking!) If you had plenty of money, I would say go for it! You never know! But especially Berkeley, which is insanely hard to get into- I think its admissions standards are even more rigorous than Duke who had some that nearly made me faint- and also has some potentially major budget issues (and possibly more still to come) because its Cali - I would say that its a risky bet.

We all have the "maybe I should add one more school to the list" moments.. but I think its just the application process getting to us more than the actual necessity.

I may be able to help you with at least one of your "maybe" schools:

University of Michigan and other members of the CIC (basically the Big Ten schools + the University of Chicago) have a Fee Waiver program for all of their graduate programs (http://www.cic.net/home/Students/FreeApp/Introduction.aspx). There is a priority deadline of November 15, which has passed, but I still received a fee waiver from Michigan when applying after that date. It does vary by department. The only other issue is that it requires a 3.0. I don't know if they're looking for a GPA with hundredths or just tenths, if its the latter you do qualify--so you may just want to check it out. This works for Michigan State too, but I don't know if you can apply it retroactively (i.e., use it to get a refund).

For those trying to get a bead on the process next year, I'm applying for 10 schools, and haven't contacted any professors. For my field, however, I don't think that contacting faculty is essential or necessary. Depending on what you're applying for depends on whether or not you should get in touch with faculty.

I may be able to help you with at least one of your "maybe" schools:

University of Michigan and other members of the CIC (basically the Big Ten schools + the University of Chicago) have a Fee Waiver program for all of their graduate programs (http://www.cic.net/home/Students/FreeApp/Introduction.aspx). There is a priority deadline of November 15, which has passed, but I still received a fee waiver from Michigan when applying after that date. It does vary by department. The only other issue is that it requires a 3.0. I don't know if they're looking for a GPA with hundredths or just tenths, if its the latter you do qualify--so you may just want to check it out. This works for Michigan State too, but I don't know if you can apply it retroactively (i.e., use it to get a refund).

For those trying to get a bead on the process next year, I'm applying for 10 schools, and haven't contacted any professors. For my field, however, I don't think that contacting faculty is essential or necessary. Depending on what you're applying for depends on whether or not you should get in touch with faculty.

I did do CIC back in August or so. I think I got one for UIUC, MSU and Indiana. UMich denied me -- GPA.

As a fellow anthropology applicant, I think you have a good mix of reaches/mids/safeties on your list. I would say though with places like Duke and Penn on your list adding more schools like Berkeley/Michigan is weighing heavy in reaches. (I am not applying to any of these schools and I am in a different sub discipline so don't worry about me discouraging you competitively speaking!) If you had plenty of money, I would say go for it! You never know! But especially Berkeley, which is insanely hard to get into- I think its admissions standards are even more rigorous than Duke who had some that nearly made me faint- and also has some potentially major budget issues (and possibly more still to come) because its Cali - I would say that its a risky bet.

We all have the "maybe I should add one more school to the list" moments.. but I think its just the application process getting to us more than the actual necessity.

Thanks. I was hoping to hear from folks in the discipline.

Berkeley's stats are, indeed, higher than Duke. Penn is my super-reach, I think. Duke less so only because I damn near live and work there right now. And that's where my superstar LOR is tenured. I feel like they will at least READ me. Penn? I'm afraid they'll just ditch me without a second glance. And I was never in love with Berkeley; it's just that it's so huge in the field. Applying feels like an obligation, you know?

i meditated on this all weekend. *sigh*

Your already applied and definitely applying look pretty good (but I'm not in your field). Of your maybes, were any of them programmes you found "early" when you were first starting to research schools? Or really late? I know that I added ridiculous schools to my list early, to keep my options open, and late, because I'd become obsessed. At this point, I would probably include 1 dream school from the maybe list.

Your list is different than what's listed in your signature line. You've been at this for a while?

You nailed it! LOL

This is exactly what happened. I finished my first app in August and my SOP in July! So, yeah, I started early. I know I have some strikes against and I thought planning would help mitigate them.

And good check on the sig. My list changes so often I can't keep it updated. :D

I have gotten in touch with professors at 5 of my 7 schools.

coya, are you driving your recommenders up a wall? I had thought about adding a school but then got nervous about having to ask my recommenders for another letter at this late date. How are you dealing with that?

If you feel like you have the time and money, go ahead and apply to your maybes. If not, let them go and take a great big breath and delete their pages from your bookmarks :)

God bless them, my writers are intimately aware of my crazy. LOL One was my fellowship preceptor last summer and when I call him in panics he just shakes his head and tells me I sure am crazy to be so smart. The other was also a preceptor though not my own. I tracked her down when I heard she had an application boot camp and basically plied her with free tea until she agreed to help me too. The final has been my adviser for two years. I once threatened all of his tires if he missed a deadline. At this point I don't think they expect any less than for me to drive them crazy.

Seriously though I do try to keep the deluge of info to a minimum for them. I only hit submit on an app once I'm sure so that they aren't getting a crazy amount of emails. And for those that I need a paper copy for I put together packets and a website to help them manage them all. I am really super sensitive to annoying them. I try to only annoy friends and e-people. :)

And delete a bookmark?!!!!! I freeze at the thought.

I've committed to deciding this weekend -- in 12 hours -- and not looking at it again.

I've completed:

-- duke

-- unc

-- michigan state

-- USC

-- Penn

-- Princeton

-- Brown

-- Berkeley

-- UIUC

-- American

-- Columbia

-- Brandeis

Just a heads up about UPenn -- I heard back from one of the profs there that due to the recession, the anthro department is only accepting one applicant per sub-field. So 1 out of ~150 will get in for Cultural Anthro. I was considering applying there as well, but since I've heard back I'm likely going to put that $70 toward a different app.

Also, from Michigan's handbook:

Successful applicants normally have a verbal and quantitative score of 1300 and an analytical writing score of 5.0 and above.

Those two might be ones to cut out if you really need to.

(also, for full disclosure: as you know from commenting on [thanks so much!] I'm applying to schools too and am currently considering Michigan...though my AWA score is a little low. But it looks like we're applying in different terms, so you don't have to worry about me competitively discouraging you or anything :) )

Edited by ctkaplan

Not an anthro major either but...

The UC system is more or less broke. If you want funding, you might not want to apply to Berkeley. I'm sure they'll have some funding, but will likely offer it only to superstar applicants.

I didn't get offered much in the way of funding from Davis last app season (from a department that generally guarantees at least the first year of funding), and I imagine that the budget crunch is even worse this year.

coyabean,

On your blog, you mentioned that you plan to add a couple of safety schools. Were they ones already on the list?

Nope. They were ones I'd visited in the past but somehow got put off, mostly due to location. I think I am going to ditch Princeton and Columbia -- Penn is the reach school I'd REALLY like to get into -- and add Temple and Southern Illinois instead.

I found Columbia a little to elitist and definitely too expensive for my liking. in my field, they offered paltry opportunities for funding and made it a point to mention that they had a way young (relatively speaking) median age. No thanks.

As a Californian, I'll echo the warning to steer clear of this state. Im trying to leave. But then again Im not originally from here.

I agree with modernity. I think you have a good mix of schools. Everyone knows that Berkeley is a brilliant school but California is not the place to be right now. I have qualms about the three CA schools that I'm applying. I like their programs but I don't think they'll give funding to international students. :(

I agree with modernity. I think you have a good mix of schools. Everyone knows that Berkeley is a brilliant school but California is not the place to be right now. I have qualms about the three CA schools that I'm applying. I like their programs but I don't think they'll give funding to international students. :(

One of the department websites for a California school actually said "because we guarantee funding for all students admitted and international students are liable to pay higher fees, it is extremely unlikely that international studetns will be admitted."

One of the department websites for a California school actually said "because we guarantee funding for all students admitted and international students are liable to pay higher fees, it is extremely unlikely that international studetns will be admitted."

I had a prof from a UC psych department tell me that although she thought my research idea was great, it was "virtually impossible" to get in as an international student this year, unless I was bringing my own funding.

I would re-take the GREs, if you can, especially since you're GPA is low.

The issue with these schools is that there is no shortage of competition. I applied to Columbia (Ph.D.) last year and followed-up on my application: 3% chance of admission-1 per field. Same for this year. Economy was cited reason.

I went through this experience last year as an international. Applied to 4 US and went 0/4. My apps were all due a month earlier than domestic and by the time I knew the gravitas of the recession, it was too late. I didn't apply to any schools in my home country, which was a mistake.

Am hoping others can benefit from my agony.

May I ask which California school you're referring to? I may use the money to apply to a non-UC.