SLP applicants Fall 2016 Decision!

Hey y'all! 

As the national date approaches it seems like a lot of people finally decided where they wanted to go! 

1. Why did you choose the program you're going to? What really sold it for you? 

2. How many schools did you apply to

3. If you haven't decided, what is going to be the factor that pushes you to decide? 

So exciting to see where everyone is ending up. 

I still have yet to hear back from 2 schools and have been waitlisted, I only applied to schools in DC area because my husband matched to residency there so I wasn't able to move anywhere, otherwise I would have applied all over the place! 

My number one choice is UMD. Hoping to get off the waitlist there but at this point with how competitive it seems to be ill take an acceptance anywhere! 

• I decided to go to Miami University of Ohio! Their application process required an interview, and luckily I was able to visit their campus, instead of just doing a skype interview. The interview was encompassed within an open house that lasted from about 9 am to 4 pm. I had the opportunity to have lunch with both faculty and grad students, and I felt very welcomed by both! The program is small (25 person class size), and there's no Ph.D program, so not only are the grad students able to make close connections with the faculty, but they are able to really customize each student's education to really fit what they are looking for. The director of graduate studies, Donna Scarborough, is FABULOUS. She was so easy to talk to and answers all of you questions as quickly and openly as possible, even through email. When I received my acceptance letter, I also received a graduate assitantship offer! That, coupled with the awesome program and the fact that it is near my fiancé and my family, was what sealed the deal for me, even though originally my first choice was Pitt.

• I applied to 5 schools: The University of Alabama (my alma mater), The University of Pittsburgh, Michigan State University, Western Michigan University, and Miami University of Ohio. I originally wanted to apply to more, but I cut my list down from 8 to 5, in order to reduce the costs associated with the applications.

3. If you haven't decided, what is going to be the factor that pushes you to decide? 

• I have already decided, but my biggest factors were probably cost, size, and location.

9 minutes ago, crc21 said:

• I decided to go to Miami University of Ohio! Their application process required an interview, and luckily I was able to visit their campus, instead of just doing a skype interview. The interview was encompassed within an open house that lasted from about 9 am to 4 pm. I had the opportunity to have lunch with both faculty and grad students, and I felt very welcomed by both! The program is small (25 person class size), and there's no Ph.D program, so not only are the grad students able to make close connections with the faculty, but they are able to really customize each student's education to really fit what they are looking for. The director of graduate studies, Donna Scarborough, is FABULOUS. She was so easy to talk to and answers all of you questions as quickly and openly as possible, even through email. When I received my acceptance letter, I also received a graduate assitantship offer! That, coupled with the awesome program and the fact that it is near my fiancé and my family, was what sealed the deal for me, even though originally my first choice was Pitt.

• I applied to 5 schools: The University of Alabama (my alma mater), The University of Pittsburgh, Michigan State University, Western Michigan University, and Miami University of Ohio. I originally wanted to apply to more, but I cut my list down from 8 to 5, in order to reduce the costs associated with the applications.

• I have already decided, but my biggest factors were probably cost, size, and location.

That sounds like an amazing reason why and an amazing program. I love how intimate and cozy it sounds. I went to some open houses and it definitely changed my mind, I think visiting the schools is so important. You get the real vibe! I am so happy for you! Being close to your family and finance are a deal in itself. 

Some people who were McNair scholars had their costs all reduced, I paid about 500 in application fees and I felt i! I can't imagine applying to 10+ schools. 

I love hearing about the positives of programs! Thats why I posed the questions, its awesome to learn from peoples perspectives. 

I've committed to University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. A big part of it for me was location; I wanted to live in a different part of the country, and being in Whitewater will cut down my long distance relationship from a 900 to 60 mile distance. Not to mention, the school is relatively close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, which is important to me for both externship reasons, future employment, and general enjoyment.  Also, I'm more interested in the adult/neuro side of SLP, so it's a big plus that UWW has an aphasia clinic. My undergrad didn't have an on-campus clinic, so the fact that UWW has one was less intimidating to me than being thrown into off-campus placements at the beginning of school. The small class size (14-16) and low-ish out of state tuition and cost of living also sealed the deal for me. 

I applied to 10 other schools this year: Edinboro, U of Akron, Grand Valley State, Southern Illinois-Carbondale, Illinois State, Governors State, Rush, Midwestern-Downers Grove, UW-Milwaukee, and UW-Stevens Point

I have decided, but location, class size, and cost were my big factors.

During my visit to Duquesne this past weekend, I was able to speak with two grad students and a professor about the University in general and the program in particular. I initially applied because I wanted an environment that reflected the same ideals I came to appreciate as an undergrad: a strong sense of community, a holistic education founded upon Catholic social teaching, and a diversity of research opportunities. What really sold the program, though, was that the interactions between the students and faculty were really personable and supportive. They were nice enough to schedule a weekend visit since I had to fly from Chicago after work. I’m also excited that there are flexible opportunities for research assistantships (there’s a lot of cool studies going on right now) because I’m hoping to write a thesis. The close proximity to Pitt will be nice for potentially checking out the clinical doctorate program over there as well.

2. How many schools did you apply to?

I applied to four since I’m an out-of-field applicant (they seemed interested in how I arrived at SLP from my French/Philo major and current finance work). Duquesne sent out its admission decisions pretty early on in March so that was good for not prolonging the waiting game.

I’ve pretty much decided on Duquesne. Since I made it to the semi-finals for a Fulbright ETA, I wanted to wait for a potential promotion from alternate to principal status but understand the chances are slim at this point. I am looking forward to moving to Pittsburgh, which is definitely a step up from South Bend haha ^_^

I chose Radford because it's the only school that accepted me, but also because I liked that they have an on-campus clinic and are part of the RiteCare program.  It's located in Virginia and that's exciting for me because I've never been to the east coast, so that will be an adventure of its own.  

10.  Still waiting on 2 schools to reply back.

I'm pretty much decided on Radford since I'm pretty sure the last 2 schools that haven't responded back are going to reject me. 

On April 6, 2016 at 10:13 PM, kumapanda said:

I chose Radford because it's the only school that accepted me, but also because I liked that they have an on-campus clinic and are part of the RiteCare program.  It's located in Virginia and that's exciting for me because I've never been to the east coast, so that will be an adventure of its own.  

10.  Still waiting on 2 schools to reply back.

I'm pretty much decided on Radford since I'm pretty sure the last 2 schools that haven't responded back are going to reject me. 

What two schools are you waiting from? 

12 hours ago, Rorororosy said:

What two schools are you waiting from? 

CSULB and Chapman.  I checked CSULB's status but nothing has changed.

1. Why did you choose the program you're going to? What really sold it for you? 

I chose the University of Iowa. I chose Iowa because I liked the feel of the program when I went to the open house. The program seemed really nurturing and all of the faculty that I talked to were wonderful.  They also work really hard to make sure students are happy with their placements. And, as a side note, when I was at the open house, they didn't bash any other programs to make themselves look good, which I think is really classy.

13. I was nervous so I applied to a lot. ;)

I've already decided, but it came down to location, feel of the program, and opportunities for externships and clinicals. All that's left is to find roommates! 

On 4/3/2016 at 8:42 AM, Rorororosy said:

1. I chose PSU mostly because of their awesome clinical placement opportunities, as well as location. I'm from Arizona, so Oregon is a lot closer to home for me than Florida (my other choice)! Also I was very impressed with the program when I attended their open house, and the faculty and current students were super personable. 

2. I applied to 5 programs! I honestly feel extremely lucky to have been accepted anywhere, let alone 2/5 programs, considering I didn't apply to a lot of schools and my stats weren't stellar haha. 

3. Already decided! But just to summarize, the deciding factor was placement opportunities and location. It also helped that Portland seems like a really fun place to live, especially for young people! 

I chose San Francisco State University because they offer a specialization in Augmentative and Alternative Communication. No other schools I applied to or looked into had even half as many faculty members whose experience is in AAC. I also liked how the program had 2 externship opportunities - 1 school/children 1 medical/adult. Not all program offer this - the school where I went for my post-bacc only guarantees school/children and you have to be lucky to get an adult/medical internship.

I applied to 7 schools. 3 Acceptances, 3 Wait-lists, 1 rejection

The factor that weighed heaviest for me was money. After talking to my parents last night, I finally decided on SFSU! Although the cost of living will be 2x-3x as much as LA, I know that the program is a better fit for me than the other 2 schools I was accepted. My second choice was ASU. Although SFSU and ASU was calculated to cost almost the same, I'd have to take more loans out for tuition for ASU than I'm planning to to attend SFSU.

I'm going to Syracuse! To be perfectly honest it's mainly for the scholarship they offered (no other schools offered me as much as they did) but I'm also super excited about the research opportunities there. I reached out to a professor there and she and I have been super friendly since my acceptance. Also they're friendly to out-of-field people, which is wonderful since I'm coming from neuro, with only 2 prereqs in progress this semester.

Too many... I panicked and applied to every school I could find that would take out-of-field students. Applied 12, accepted to 11 (!!!??? yeah..), and waitlisted at 1 (and I'm pretty sure that's because Temple marked my supplemental app as "incomplete" for weeks after the deadline because they expected a transcript for my in-progress prereqs at a new university - which was not available... grr whatever not complaining). In case anyone's curious: accepted at Syracuse, Iowa, Vanderbilt, MGH, Emerson, TC Columbia, NYU, Kean, Montclair, William Paterson, UVA. Stats: GPA (neuro) 3.8, GRE 162/168/5 (verbal/math/essay), SLP shadowing experience

God this decision was tough, my main factors were: cost, location, externship placements type&number, research opportunities, length of program (ideally 2.5 or even 2 years for OOF)

I was torn between Vandy and Syracuse for the longest time. Vanderbilt's facilities are AH-MAZING and are exceptionally above-and-beyond any other visit I've been on (the program takes place literally inside the hospital and has state-of-the-art equipment&resources), but they didn't offer any scholarship and I'd be moving really far away from anyone I know. I was tempted by their ranking as well, but the most important thing is getting a degree&license. Syracuse checks off all the boxes and costs a lot less for me. Plus it's still a great program and will let me stay near friends/family in NJ. I'll be getting 2 full-time off-site placements vs. only 1 at Vanderbilt (though their "on-campus" semesters are really like  real-world settings). So in the end, I chose my head over my heart and made the practical choice that would leave me with minimal debt. I think I'm making the smart choice, and only time will tell if I made the right choice. I am very fortunate to have this problem and now that the decision is made, I am feeling so relieved.

1. Why did you choose the program you're going to? What really sold it for you? I have decided to attend East Tennessee State University. My gut told me this was the place for me as soon as I received my acceptances. My decision was based on three factors: location, quality of program, and money. I love the mountains and the area of the school. I have only heard good things about the program and really enjoyed my visit. They have a great variety of clinical opportunities. They also have the most potential funding. 

I applied to 11 schools. I was accepted to 8. Waitlisted at 2. Rejected at 1. 

• I decided to go to the University of Virginia. What really sold it for me was the tour and seeing the facilities, which were really well maintained. The students all looked and acted professional as well so I really appreciated that environment. I also know UVA is ranked much better than my second choice school (ODU), so having a school that cost a similar amount but had a better ranking and perception sold it for me.

• I applied to six schools: University of Maine, University of Central Florida, Appalachian State University, University of Rhode Island, Old Dominion University, and University of Virginia. I got into five and was waitlisted at one.

• I have decided, but the factors that helped me decide were:
    • In-state status, since I wanted to stay close to my family and be able to pay in state tuition.
    • Whether or not my fiance got in. We actually ended up getting into all our schools together but this was important since we wanted to go to school together and live together.
    • The school's standing. I wanted to go to a high ranked school that would hopefully help me get a better job.
    • Length for out of field students. Since I'm out of field I didn't want to add too many semesters, and UVA for out of field is only 2.5 years, which I thought was great.

Thank you everyone, I really feel like this thread will help people who are applying for the first time or re applying and considering which schools to go to. Its always awesome to have a insider point of view! Especially because I am sure you all researched and went to open houses! 

Thanks! 

I chose Vanderbilt because it has been my dream school for years. I never ever thought I'd actually get in, so There was no way I was going to turn it down. The clinics are amazing, I really like Nashville, it has a high ranking, smallest class size, and is also the shortest program for out-of-fielders. I'm really glad I won't have to take online prereqs.

I applied to 6 schools, plus a few online leveling programs. 4 acceptances (Vandy, TC, GWU, and MGH) and 2 waitlists (BU and Emerson)

Most of my decision was just based on a gut feeling, but l still made a lot of pro/con lists! All of the other schools I applied to were more expensive, longer programs, and further from home. It was hard for me to turn down Columbia, but when I looked at it objectively, the ivy league name just didn't outweigh the downsides, not the least of which is the ridiculous cost of living in NYC. I'm so relieved that this stressful process is over and excited to start in the fall!

I chose Ohio University!

I chose them because they are ranked pretty well in the nation, it's a much bigger school that is further away from home, and I went to their visit day and knew it would be a good fit. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming.

I applied to 5 schools all in Ohio

On 4/4/2016 at 10:13 PM, crc21 said:

I am about to finish my undergrad at Miami University in May! I have also lived in Oxford my entire life. You will LOVE it. All of the professors and clinician's here are so friendly and helpful. Miami's campus is absolutely beautiful and Oxford is such a great community for so many reasons. Love and Honor :) 

• I chose Eastern Kentucky University! It was close enough (but far enough) from home. 

• I only applied to three programs! I'm kicking myself now, but I only applied to programs that were close to where my then-boyfriend would be living, so I only applied to University of Cincinnati, EKU, and Western Kentucky. Cost was also a huge factor why I only applied to three, definitely didn't realize how expensive everything would be. 

1 hour ago, garrisjk said:

I am about to finish my undergrad at Miami University in May! I have also lived in Oxford my entire life. You will LOVE it. All of the professors and clinician's here are so friendly and helpful. Miami's campus is absolutely beautiful and Oxford is such a great community for so many reasons. Love and Honor :) 

Congratulations!! I am so excited to be going there! However, finding housing (especially an affordable, pet friendly 1-bedroom) is proving to be EXTREMELY difficult. Everything seems to be leased already! Any tips??

2 minutes ago, crc21 said:

Congratulations!! I am so excited to be going there! However, finding housing (especially an affordable, pet friendly 1-bedroom) is proving to be EXTREMELY difficult. Everything seems to be leased already! Any tips??

Yes unfortunately housing and parking are honestly the two worst parts of Oxford... There are a lot of student housing complexes near campus (Level 27, Miami/Oxford Commons, Hawks Landing, Miami Preserve) that include some utilities and are pet-friendly. I know that Miami/Oxford Commons has 1 bedroom apartments but they are a little expensive, like $900 a month I believe. I will say that I have lived at Level 27 which offers 3 and 4 bedroom apartments and they are SO NICE. You get your own bathroom and fully furnished and have free tanning and work out center. They are also usually pretty good about matching roommates, and I know in past years nearly the entire speech path grad school class lived there haha. I also want to live alone when I go to grad school so I feel your pain.. My advice would either be to find nice roomies or look into housing agencies. Try college property management- I looked on their website and theres a bunch of 2 bedrooms on Arrowhead Dr. that are fairly cheap and decently nice. Check them out! There are quite a few random 1 bedroom places around town that are houses but separated up into their own units! I know a lot of girls at Miami who are staying in Oxford for graduate school and they are all very nice! Maybe check out the facebook page if there is one. 

I chose WWU, where I'm currently completing a post-baccalaureate/leveling program. I picked it mostly because I'm already familiar with a lot of the professors and clinicians (and I like them!) and because of the smaller school/cohort size. In-state tuition and saving on moving costs were also a big draw. :)

I applied to 7, in total: WWU, EWU, WSU, Northern Arizona University, Arizona State University, University of Houston, and Texas A&M. I was accepted to NAU and Texas A&M, initially waitlisted at WWU (and accepted a week ago!), and was rejected from the rest. WWU and NAU were my top picks (I've got great family support in both areas), so I was pretty excited to get acceptances to both.

I fell in love with Dallas shortly after I received my acceptance. Everything I read about it here and other places was incredible. I love the structure of the program, with only 6 required classes, and the rest can be electives, so you really get to tailor your education to your interests. Visiting the program only made me love it more. I talked with Dr. Stillman and a current student who were both very welcoming. They both said that this program is relatively low-stress, which I liked a lot after watching grad students at my current program wanting to pull their hair out all semester! The huge size of the program is a little intimidating, but I think that it just means there will be more resources and placement opportunities. I already knew I loved the city, and the scholarship for in-state tuition made it not totally unaffordable. It took me a while to commit, though, because I had other offers with more funding. I finally just realized that there was nowhere else I'd rather be next year than Dallas. I'm so excited to be starting at this incredible program in the fall!

I applied to 8 schools. I was accepted to 5, waitlisted at 1, and rejected from 2. 

The main factors I considered when choosing programs to apply to was location, money, and research and placement opportunities. I chose Dallas mostly based on a gut feeling, like kaitlynlea. I just knew it was going to be the best fit for me, and the place where I'd be the happiest.

Congrats to all of you on making your decisions! Good luck!

1) After a really difficult decision I chose to commit to Teachers College Columbia. It was not my initial first choice (MGH was) but after being offered a significant scholarship it became a great option! It ultimately came down to staying in state (University of Minnesota) or taking the best financial choice out of state which surprisingly came down to be Columbia! Don't get me wrong cost of living will be crazy, but I wanted at adventure and NYC will give me that! Columbia also has a lot of opportunities that many universities down, such as a study abroad! I will never know if I made the right decision, but at least I can know I took a chance and the risk of moving out of state!

2) I applied to 7 schools. Rush, University of Minnesota, MGH, ASU, University of Kansas, NYU,  and TC Columbia. 

Some how I was accepted to all of them! Which made it a tough choice! 

I have finally decided and committed!

New Paltz! It was one of the most rigorous programs I looked at (62-68 credits), which sounds good for an out-of-field applicant. In addition, it's one of the most affordable options, and the location is beautiful. I also formed a very positive impression when I went to the open house– it was the only one I attended where the program director met with applicants, and the atmosphere felt friendly. Finally, I'm originally from the Hudson Valley, so heading home is nice.

Five. I wanted to give myself a decent shot at acceptance without going bankrupt on application fees. I picked schools that wouldn't be too hard to commute to (though might require moving), that were potentially affordable, and that I might get into. Brooklyn and Hunter were mostly whims, but whaddaya know, I got into one of them. :)