Very Low undergrad GPA, will a post-bacc help?

So my undergrad GPA is a 2.55 and since I've graduated there's nothing I can do to change it. It's low due to personal reasons. I'm just wondering how much a postbacc would help in getting me into grad school. If I get a 4.0 for postbacc will it give me a chance or will my undergrad GPA haunt me for the rest of my life?

To a point, proving that you CAN do high-quality work outweighs the fact that you didn't always manage that.  If you're transitioning, perhaps a post-bacc to an MA.  Do well in all that, and someone will be happy to have you.

But, as always, ask someone who has to pull that trigger.  No point in knocking yourself out for a year and $40k if you won't get the desired result.

You may have difficulty finding a post-bacc even willing to take you with that GPA. USU at least requires a 3.0 minimum. Might want to consider starting an associate's in SLP Asst. from a community college to get your GPA up. It's way cheaper than a 2nd bachelor's, though it does take 2 years.

I would raise your GPA before diving into a postbacc. Take classes at a CC (in psych, early childhood education, etc.) and bring your GPA up to a 3.0, and take that time to relearn study skills so you will succeed in your postbacc. (or as another poster said, a SLPA program). 

I would also complete a full postbacc before applying, so that you will have a complete set of CD prereqs done to show your dedication. If you can bring your overall GPA up to a 3.2-3.3, and have a high postbacc GPA, I think you have a shot. 

If your first degree isn't Communication Disorders then you would have a chance.  My first Bachelors was in Exercise Science and like you due to personal reasons my GPA was 2.93.  My Post Bacc GPA was 3.49 and I got accepted to two schools, waitlisted to 4 and only rejected from 2!  Anything is possible!

On May 2, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Alyspeechie said:

So my undergrad GPA is a 2.55 and since I've graduated there's nothing I can do to change it. It's low due to personal reasons. I'm just wondering how much a postbacc would help in getting me into grad school. If I get a 4.0 for postbacc will it give me a chance or will my undergrad GPA haunt me for the rest of my life?

I'm assuming you don't have a bachelor's in SLP? If so doing a post bacc or at least a fair number of pre reccs is probably your best shot. 

Portland State does not seem to have a GPA requirement for their post bacc or second bachelor's degree. The application is non competitive, they just require you to have graduated college. 

https://www.pdx.edu/sphr/post-baccalaureate-program

and somewhere around here is a list of all the schools that have post bacc programs. I'd assume at least a few of then do not have a GPA cut off

But I agree with the poster who said you should finish most or all of the post bacc/second bachelors before applying to show you can do the work (note you do not NEED a 4.0 GPA to get into grad school. Do well, aim for above a 3.5 minimum but also aim for a well rounded application). I think if you do that AND do well on the GRE, get some good extra curricular activities (research, volunteer work, shadowing etc) plus have good LORs and LOIs the schools won't care much if at all about your first bachelor's GPA. Sounds overwhelming but it's kinda needed to apply to schools now. And a lot of it falls into place all at once (your GPA is good so you volunteer with a professor you liked who is  doing research. That professor writes you a good rec and the experience adds to your letter of intent. You shadow at a hospital that turns into volunteering with the SLP who also writes you a good letter and agrees to help you polish your letter of intent because you're applying to her alma mater etc etc). Don't worry too much about a 2.5 GPA in an unrelated field.  Good luck! 

18 hours ago, NorcalSLP said:

I'm assuming you don't have a bachelor's in SLP? If so doing a post bacc or at least a fair number of pre reccs is probably your best shot. 

Portland State does not seem to have a GPA requirement for their post bacc or second bachelor's degree. The application is non competitive, they just require you to have graduated college. 

https://www.pdx.edu/sphr/post-baccalaureate-program

and somewhere around here is a list of all the schools that have post bacc programs. I'd assume at least a few of then do not have a GPA cut off

But I agree with the poster who said you should finish most or all of the post bacc/second bachelors before applying to show you can do the work (note you do not NEED a 4.0 GPA to get into grad school. Do well, aim for above a 3.5 minimum but also aim for a well rounded application). I think if you do that AND do well on the GRE, get some good extra curricular activities (research, volunteer work, shadowing etc) plus have good LORs and LOIs the schools won't care much if at all about your first bachelor's GPA. Sounds overwhelming but it's kinda needed to apply to schools now. And a lot of it falls into place all at once (your GPA is good so you volunteer with a professor you liked who is  doing research. That professor writes you a good rec and the experience adds to your letter of intent. You shadow at a hospital that turns into volunteering with the SLP who also writes you a good letter and agrees to help you polish your letter of intent because you're applying to her alma mater etc etc). Don't worry too much about a 2.5 GPA in an unrelated field.  Good luck! 

Thank you! It's in Linguistics. I've been looking for shadowing opportunities but no luck. I'm in the NorCal area too, any ideas? PM me.

Alyspeechie- I'm also from NorCal! Are you in the Bay Area? I know of a few clinics (all pediatrics) in the East Bay (Berkeley, and farther out like San Ramon), and a sprinkling in SF/one towards Burlingame that I or classmates have volunteered at if you are in those areas. 

Something to consider is a second bachelor's degree. My first BA GPA was 2.73 (English). When I decided to go to school for SLP I found most post-bacc programs required a minimum GPA of 3.0. But since I already had a bachelor's, I applied as a transfer student and earned a second bachelor's, this time in SLP and it only took me two years. I didn't have to do distribution requirements. But every school could be different. My GPA this time was 3.98, and I was accepted to every program I applied to (one of them I was waitlisted, but was then accepted off the waitlist). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 10:32 PM, khall0716 said:

If your first degree isn't Communication Disorders then you would have a chance.  My first Bachelors was in Exercise Science and like you due to personal reasons my GPA was 2.93.  My Post Bacc GPA was 3.49 and I got accepted to two schools, waitlisted to 4 and only rejected from 2!  Anything is possible!

Hi, if you don't mind sharing, which schools did you apply to?

8 hours ago, nbnbnbnb said:

Hi, if you don't mind sharing, which schools did you apply to?

I'm from Missouri so I applied to University of Missouri-Columiba and got accepted, and also applied to several distance learning programs due to personal circumstances and needing to continue to work.  I applied to University of Missouri-Columiba, University of Central Missouri, Missouri State University, University of Northern Colorado, University of Wyoming, Idaho State University, East Carolina University, University of South Carolina.  I got rejected from University of Central Missouri and Missouri State University, waitlisted at University of Northern Colorado, University of Wyoming, Idaho State University, and University of South Carolina.  I got accepted to University of Missouri-Columbia and East Carolina University.  I have accepted East Carolina University and will be attending the distance track!  I was able to gain a lot of experience while attending University of Missouri-Columbia for my post-bach in communication science and disorders and worked as an undergraduate clinician.  I also got very close to several of my professors.  While I was attending for my post-bach I worked 30 hours per week and commuted an hour so when it came time to write my personal statement I put all of my experiences and my challenges in the personal statement.  I am very excited and i wish you the best of luck!

On 5/3/2016 at 10:47 PM, Crimson Wife said:

You may have difficulty finding a post-bacc even willing to take you with that GPA. USU at least requires a 3.0 minimum. Might want to consider starting an associate's in SLP Asst. from a community college to get your GPA up. It's way cheaper than a 2nd bachelor's, though it does take 2 years.

Question about SLPA..I'm considering becoming one for a few years before going on to become a certified SLP..I currently have a BS in Communication Disorders..would getting a 2nd bachelors be more beneficial/better my chances of getting a job, or would an associates degree suffice? 

1 hour ago, HopefulFutureSLP2016 said:

Question about SLPA..I'm considering becoming one for a few years before going on to become a certified SLP..I currently have a BS in Communication Disorders..would getting a 2nd bachelors be more beneficial/better my chances of getting a job, or would an associates degree suffice? 

If you already have a bachelor's in CSD, I don't think you would be eligible for a 2nd bachelor's since those are designed for those with a bachelor's in another field (my 1st degree was in Psychology with a minor in Human Bio). You also wouldn't need to do the associate's to get a SLPA license, only the supervised fieldwork courses. At the SLPA program I'm doing, it would be 2 courses but since I won't finish the CSD bachelor's until the semester after those, I need to take 1 pre-req and 1 co-req in addition. That's still a lot less than the full SLPA associate's degree.

Now if you wanted to do the full SLPA associate's to pull up your GPA, you'd certainly have the option to. It just isn't required by the state.

3 hours ago, Alyspeechie said:

What's the difference in terms of GPA calculations when it comes to taking CSD courses as a non-degree vs post-bacc?

If I am understanding your question correctly, there isn't one. Post-bacc just means after your first Bachelor's has been earned. You can take post-bacc classes as non degree seeking or while getting a 2nd bachelor's. The math wouldn't change though. More hours/quality points will raise the GPA, no matter the designation. 

On 5/18/2016 at 7:24 AM, khall0716 said:

I'm from Missouri so I applied to University of Missouri-Columiba and got accepted, and also applied to several distance learning programs due to personal circumstances and needing to continue to work.  I applied to University of Missouri-Columiba, University of Central Missouri, Missouri State University, University of Northern Colorado, University of Wyoming, Idaho State University, East Carolina University, University of South Carolina.  I got rejected from University of Central Missouri and Missouri State University, waitlisted at University of Northern Colorado, University of Wyoming, Idaho State University, and University of South Carolina.  I got accepted to University of Missouri-Columbia and East Carolina University.  I have accepted East Carolina University and will be attending the distance track!  I was able to gain a lot of experience while attending University of Missouri-Columbia for my post-bach in communication science and disorders and worked as an undergraduate clinician.  I also got very close to several of my professors.  While I was attending for my post-bach I worked 30 hours per week and commuted an hour so when it came time to write my personal statement I put all of my experiences and my challenges in the personal statement.  I am very excited and i wish you the best of luck!

Thank you for your response! I wish you the best of luck as well!

• 3 years later...

I, too, have a low GPA due to personal reasons. I have a B.S. Psychology.

I just found the following: 

• Chemeketa Community College in Oregon has an online SLPA program. It's $115/credit (flat rate, residency doesn't matter). They have a Certificate of Completion and an Associate of Applied Science. 
  • Arizona State University has an online BS in Speech & Hearing Sciences. It's 40 classes and 7.5 weeks per class. About $13k for 12 hours or $607 per credit hours for non-Arizona residents.

I hope this blesses someone! ❤️

3 hours ago, Ashash2012 said:

I, too, have a low GPA due to personal reasons. I have a B.S. Psychology.

I just found the following: 

• Chemeketa Community College in Oregon has an online SLPA program. It's $115/credit (flat rate, residency doesn't matter). They have a Certificate of Completion and an Associate of Applied Science. 
  • Arizona State University has an online BS in Speech & Hearing Sciences. It's 40 classes and 7.5 weeks per class. About $13k for 12 hours or $607 per credit hours for non-Arizona residents.

I hope this blesses someone! ❤️

love this , makes me feel a lot better knowing there are hopeful souls out there who are passionate but went through some B.S. (unfortunately) as well. 

I reached out to Arizona State University and Chemeketa Community College. Here’s what they said in regards to already having a Bachelor’ Degree:

Arizona State University: If you already have a Bachelor’s degree just apply as a transfer student. Anything with a C or higher can be applied to your major at ASU. The SHS program requires a 2.5 GPA (it’s possible to be admitted to the program with something lower, but no guarantees). Your Bachelor’s degree waives the high school transcript requirement but all your colleges will need to send official transcripts. The review process may take 2-6 weeks.

Chemeketa Community College: Yes, they take students that already have Bachelor’s degrees. The deadline for the Fall 2019 cohort is tomorrow, June 1st!!!

Edited by Ashash2012