Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

Is anyone struggling with ranking their schools? I've gone on almost all my interviews and I'm torn between two schools. If I got into both of them (not likely but it could happen), I have no idea which one to pick.

1 hour ago, Gorays39 said:

Is anyone struggling with ranking their schools? I've gone on almost all my interviews and I'm torn between two schools. If I got into both of them (not likely but it could happen), I have no idea which one to pick.

For me, it came down to practical factors - cost of living, good public schools for my kids, a city my husband would be happiest living in, how much time I would spend commuting, availability of leisure activities my family enjoys, etc etc etc. I loved 3 of the programs that interviewed me, but when it came down to it, I am also picking where my family will live for two years. Also consider how well you felt like you meshed with the current students and faculty - you'll be spending a lot of time with them!

2 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

For me, it came down to practical factors - cost of living, good public schools for my kids, a city my husband would be happiest living in, how much time I would spend commuting, availability of leisure activities my family enjoys, etc etc etc. I loved 3 of the programs that interviewed me, but when it came down to it, I am also picking where my family will live for two years. Also consider how well you felt like you meshed with the current students and faculty - you'll be spending a lot of time with them!

I can imagine the decision seems much more concrete with a husband and children! I have a partner and he is going to be moving to the city where one of my top programs is. However, the other program seems to have a better atmosphere and resources for my particular interests. I don't know, this choice is hard.

Edited by Gorays39

2 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

I can imagine the decision seems much more concrete with a husband and children! I have a partner and he is going to be moving to the city where one of my top programs is. However, the other program seems to have a better atmosphere and resources for my particular interests. I don't know, this choice is hard.

It sounds like there is one you like better, but you're torn about moving away from a partner. I have a couple friends who picked their not-first-choice school to be near a partner, and were full of regret when they broke up halfway through the program - I would be hesitant to let a relationship steer you. Of course I say this, even though my partner basically ranked my schools for me, but we've been together for almost 10 years and have kids and such. Are you sure you're still going to be with this person in 2 years? 

Just now, Ultrapeaches said:

It sounds like there is one you like better, but you're torn about moving away from a partner. I have a couple friends who picked their not-first-choice school to be near a partner, and were full of regret when they broke up halfway through the program - I would be hesitant to let a relationship steer you. Of course I say this, even though my partner basically ranked my schools for me, but we've been together for almost 10 years and have kids and such. Are you sure you're still going to be with this person in 2 years? 

You definitely have a valid point! We do have plans to get married after graduate school. He's telling me to go where I feel most comfortable. The program where he is, it's great too. The city has lots of opportunities as well. It would be one of my favorites even if he wasn't there. I have a few weeks to think about it, thankfully.

2 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

You definitely have a valid point! We do have plans to get married after graduate school. He's telling me to go where I feel most comfortable. The program where he is, it's great too. The city has lots of opportunities as well. It would be one of my favorites even if he wasn't there. I have a few weeks to think about it, thankfully.

Oh and cost of tuition! Don't forget about that!

Oh man, I know this board plays it super close to the vest about these things, but I'd love to know everyone's ranking of the programs where they interviewed. Everyone talks about a good fit, and I was skeptical at first - that felt very euphemistic to me - but the more people I talk to who got a completely different sense of the same schools, the more I realize that the "fit" component is not just lip service.

1 minute ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Oh and cost of tuition! Don't forget about that!

Oh man, I know this board plays it super close to the vest about these things, but I'd love to know everyone's ranking of the programs where they interviewed. Everyone talks about a good fit, and I was skeptical at first - that felt very euphemistic to me - but the more people I talk to who got a completely different sense of the same schools, the more I realize that the "fit" component is not just lip service.

Cost of tuition is definitely a factor. My favorite school is on the pricey side, but cost of living seems relatively low.

Personally, with the exception of one school, I'd be very happy to attend any of the schools I've interviewed at so far. They've all impressed me in different ways. 

2 hours ago, mml004 said:

I looked at the ACGC website and the list of accredited schools. I would like to go to Arizona, but it's listed as "letter of intent received". Anyone know what that means? Is it going to be accredited? 

Hi I go to Arizona currently for undergrad! Since I didn't get any interview offers this cycle, I am very interested in attending the GC program here once it opens. I love the area and really don't want to move if possible.  

But basically it means that they have sent a letter to ACGC that they would like to open a program at Arizona. They have to submit the completed application form within 3 months of the letter being received. From there it could take 6-9 months (or longer!) for ACGC to go through the application process and decide whether to grant them accreditation or not. If granted, then they can start recruiting for their first class. I'm close to the program director and she wants to have the first class starting Fall 2018, so if everything goes smoothly they will be accepting applications this coming fall or next spring (with a later due date and interview times) like Thomas Jefferson and Bay Path did this cycle.

5 hours ago, mml004 said:

That would be great! I live in the midwest, and I need to go somewhere warm with little seasonality. And Arizona seems like a really good school. I hope they get the program accredited!!

They had a program until it shut down in 2005 due to lack of administrative support, so I have no doubt they'll get accredited pretty fast without an issues :) I'm very excited for it too!

Well, I'm officially done with interviews! I feel relatively good about them, but I know I'll spend the next two weeks going over and over and over everything. I really enjoyed all three programs I interviewed with and am having a heck of a time ranking.

@Gadgette I thought I knew who my top choice was and now I'm stumped! If Rutgers and Jefferson offer me a spot idk what to do! I really can't choose. I love so much about each program. I went into Jefferson thinking I wouldn't like it as much as Rutgers and I left being so impressed haha. Maybe 1 will out right accept me and the other will waitlist me and I will go with whoever accepts me first  This is rough lol

Hi guys! I am brand new to this thread - just finished interviewing (applied this season to start in Fall 2017, like you guys). It's funny to think I may have met some of you on the interviews! :-) Wishing you all good luck here as we wait to hear decisions!

just curious - what was the favorite place that you interviewed or visited?

1 hour ago, GC23 said:

Just curious - what was the favorite place that you interviewed or visited?

My first choice is Emory, followed by UCI. I liked the Boston schools, too, but Boston is an expensive city to live in and my partner is not excited about snow.

On 4/6/2017 at 4:49 PM, Ultrapeaches said:

I am also super curious about everyone's thoughts and rankings of the programs after their interviews! I would like to hear what all of you thought about your favorite programs, as well as what you disliked about the programs that didn't feel like a good fit for you.  

Since I am obsessed with google docs, l created an anonymous google survey that we can fill out to indicate our top choices (multiple choice style), and thoughts on the programs we interviewed at (short answer style).  

GOOGLE SURVEY LINK -->

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScblLkOC10eqmrQDn_PLVrutN5sllsTnQ4A6Xoq8OnMJfq7uQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Supposedly respondents should be able to see summary charts and text responses after submitting, but I will also share the results after we get some decent response data. Maybe even some sweet charts & graphs to boot.  Hopefully we can give our more candid opinions of the programs this way :)

On 4/6/2017 at 2:34 PM, Gorays39 said:

@Gorays39 How I have been trying to rank the programs:

(1) Affordability/cost of living, (2) strength of clinical training rotations/opportunities for specialty & nontraditional rotations (3) strength of faculty/academics/thesis structure (3) location/city (patient population/diversity, transportation around the city, how far from family/partner, type of weather, do I think I would be happy living there, etc,)

@GCFaith92 @Ultrapeaches No problem! @Ultrapeaches I know you love your charts and data!

Wow the results are so interesting, I love the spread!!  Out of 17 respondents, only two have the same #1 program! I guess everyone really is looking for something different.

@All... don't forget you that can also leave text responses for each of the programs you visited. If you've already submitted your rankings, and want to go back later on to leave comments for specific programs, just leave the ranking questions blank and submit a second response with pros/cons text only.  

This survey thing is awesome! It's nice seeing what others think about varying programs, especially ones I am looking into. It is great to hear others opinions! Definitely submit your results on there!!

Do you guys know what to do if we can't find an interviewer's email address to send them a thank you email? I've searched everywhere online, all I could find was a LinkedIn and the other two I can't find at all =/

Also, has anyone started getting the rejection nightmares? I had one last night...it involved UFO's on an island and strange interviewers who didn't like me :huh: 13 days until match day!!!