Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

4 hours ago, Joey0817 said:

Hi everyone!

I am a fourth year student who is interested in a Masters of genetic counseling program as all of you are and I've been reading this thread for awhile now. I just wanted to gain some insight on whether or not I should pursue this avenue because my grades aren't the best and I'll be applying for admission for fall 2018.

current info:

cgpa: 3.30 (if I apply for Fall 2018, I still have 8 months of school and I am confident I can raise it to 3.70 for the next cycle)

volunteer experience: distressline and helpline for women dealing with unexpected pregnancies (will be shadowing a genetic counselor and gaining experience with children with disabilities and advocacy work in fall 2017)

Additional experience: Have 1.5 years of research work in plant and bacterial genetics with one paper published (not really relevant to human genetics though)

Currently studying for my GRE which I will write in 4 months time (end of august)

I am going through a bit of a depression stage because seeing everyone else's stats makes me feel less confident, especially since my grades aren't the most competitive and I don't see myself pursuing any other career besides genetic counseling. Let me know how you guys deal with this kind of emotionality! It would be greatly appreciated!

I would have loved to have that GPA on my application! As everyone has said, grades aren't the biggest part. Experience definitely seems to be much more heavily weighted, and it sounds like you're getting good and relevant experience.

7 hours ago, rekadora said:

Has anyone not heard anything from Rutgers? When i go online all it says that there was no decision made yet.

Hello! I have been waiting for Rutgers as well!! I've written to the academic director too. However, there's been no reply from their end!  

1 hour ago, GCFaith92 said:

@mithila.belekar  @rekadora I think they gave out all interviews at this point :-( 1 of their interview dates passed already and the next one is the 27th

Yeah I guessed so as well. :-( :-( 

I guess I'm just waiting for their official rejection letter.

On 3/15/2017 at 10:02 AM, Gorays39 said:

@minja134 I did end up getting that virtual interview request with the medical director.  I'm surprised they gave us such limited options, right in the middle of the day too.  I'm also wondering why they didn't mention this at the ISU interview?  Do you think this is like a 'second round' of interviews or something?

That's good! They were just probably trying to work around his schedule. Is yours today (Friday)? They did mention it off hand during the intro presentation that they would try to setup a virtual interview with him, I just didn't expect it to be so soon. But I guess they do have to make decisions soon as well. 

I'm not sure what to think of it as when they emailed me it seemed generically addressed like it was BCC to multiple applicants and they gave this Friday from 12-1pm with 15-20 min slots, so that could only be 4 people. So unless yours is a different time frame and they just sent the emails in chunks?

9 hours ago, minja134 said:

That's good! They were just probably trying to work around his schedule. Is yours today (Friday)? They did mention it off hand during the intro presentation that they would try to setup a virtual interview with him, I just didn't expect it to be so soon. But I guess they do have to make decisions soon as well. 

I'm not sure what to think of it as when they emailed me it seemed generically addressed like it was BCC to multiple applicants and they gave this Friday from 12-1pm with 15-20 min slots, so that could only be 4 people. So unless yours is a different time frame and they just sent the emails in chunks?

Mine is actually in April.  They must have sent the emails in chunks.

Hey all,

Now that some of us probably have a few interviews under our belts, I was wondering if you guys would share some of your pro/con lists, how they've been ranking things so far, or just general impressions? I know I have my certain things I'm looking for, but I'm curious how other people are liking (or not) the programs they've visited and why?

Just to note: not trying to get anyone to badmouth programs or anything, just wondering what other people are looking for and how the programs have met expectations.

Edited by mosley

Anyone who applied to Jefferson, did you actually have a genetic counselor write you a LOR? I know they stated that a counselor should write one of your letters but I did not feel I spend enough time with a particular counselor to have one write in depth letter on my behalf. Anyone else in my shoes with this ? I had my employer (a Dr) my genetics professor and my chemistry professor write letters.

Edited by GCFaith92

36 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Anyone who applied to Jefferson, did you actually have a genetic counselor write you a LOR? I know they stated that a counselor should write one of your letters but I did not feel I spend enough time with a particular counselor to have one write in depth letter on my behalf. Anyone else in my shoes with this ? I had my employer (a Dr) my genetics professor and my chemistry professor write letters.

Hi! I just applied there. They said they would prefer a LOR from a genetic counselor, but that it wasn't a requirement--I didn't submit one from a GC either. They had a Q&A after their webinar and someone else asked about this, so I'm sure we're not the only two! 

I also just called them to ask when we'd be hearing about admission results. They said it would potentially be another two weeks.

Edited by GCapplicant

53 minutes ago, mosley said:

Hey all,

Now that some of us probably have a few interviews under our belts, I was wondering if you guys would share some of your pro/con lists, how they've been ranking things so far, or just general impressions? I know I have my certain things I'm looking for, but I'm curious how other people are liking (or not) the programs they've visited and why?

Just to note: not trying to get anyone to badmouth programs or anything, just wondering what other people are looking for and how the programs have met expectations.

As far as the programs themselves go, I'm looking foremost at if I feel comfortable there. It doesn't matter how great the program is if I can't focus because being there stresses me out. I'm also looking at when rotations start, the first time pass rate for boards, and if there are other supplemental programs (or a secondary master's like UPitt, or LEND).

I'm also looking at how I fit in the city. Is it affordable? Can we find a place to live close to school? Is there functioning public transportation? Places to hike and explore? I'm married, so I'm also looking at if there are job opportunities for my husband, if he'd be happy there..

23 minutes ago, GCapplicant said:

Hi! I just applied there. They said they would prefer a LOR from a genetic counselor, but that it wasn't a requirement--I didn't submit one from a GC either. They had a Q&A after their webinar and someone else asked about this, so I'm sure we're not the only two! 

I also just called them to ask when we'd be hearing about admission results. They said it would potentially be another two weeks.

OMG good I am glad I was not the only one! And Thank you for telling me you called. I spoke to Zohra in email last month and she said they would get back to applicants by the 17th so I have had terrible anxiety. I thought their first interview was within the next 2 weeks though?

8 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

OMG good I am glad I was not the only one! And Thank you for telling me you called. I spoke to Zohra in email last month and she said they would get back to applicants by the 17th so I have had terrible anxiety. I thought their first interview was within the next 2 weeks though?

Yeah, I actually mentioned the fact that the first interview date is coming up shortly too. I actually spoke to the program assistant and she said she wasn't sure how that part would work out, but that she'd have the director get in touch with me to explain more next week. Maybe they want to look through any applications that came in recently before sending out interview invites? 

4 hours ago, mosley said:

Hey all,

So far I've been to 4 interviews and I really, really loved Michigan!  I loved the other 3 programs too but Michigan really made me feel welcome and valued.  Plus they have a really balanced curriculum and lots of clinical rotation opportunities.

5 hours ago, Gorays39 said:

Mine is actually in April.  They must have sent the emails in chunks.

I had mine today and it wasn't anything bad. I would suggest if you have an interview in the middle of the time frame it give an additional minute or two before connecting as I connected right at my time and cut into the last 30 secs of some's interview and someone joined right at their time and cut into like the last 15 seconds of mine. The director didn't seem to mind, but just a precaution. Otherwise it was more a conversation and he asked a lot about my shadowing and research experience. So I'm guessing he will just ask you about what you have done in general.

On 3/15/2017 at 9:23 AM, GCFaith92 said:

Yea. Well when I emailed them they had said all applicants will hear by the 17th so I thought maybe they'd start reaching out to people as they got applications in. But yeah if I wasn't impatient I'd assume maybe tomorrow and Friday ahaha

Yeah Thomas Jefferson told me everyone would hear by March 17th... but I haven't heard anything yet :( Has anyone heard back from Thomas Jefferson?? 

23 hours ago, GCapplicant said:

Another two weeks?? That's good to hear. They initially told me they would send interviews on March 17th so I was getting worried! 

Question about Thank You notes after interviews:

Are you guys writing individual notes to each faculty member with whom you interviewed, or just one general note to the program faculty over all? I loved my experience at BU, but a lot of what excited me about the program were aspects I talked about with multiple faculty members and it would be challenging to write four thank you letters that were not redundant. 

Wow, I am still waiting to hear from CSU... I finally emailed since my calls keep going to voicemail. It still says pending under my application. For anyone who did get a rejection, did your application decision change from pending to rejected? 

I'm just confused since rejections went out 2 weeks ago, and interviews went out a little before then. This is my last chance basically, so I just want to stop hoping if it's gonna be a rejection.

8 hours ago, mosley said:

I've been writing notes to each interviewer individually. They do tend to get repetitive, but I try to include something unique to our conversation, even it was a small detail.

How many people did you interview with? My initial thought was to do all individual notes but I am interviewing with 7 different people at one place and that's a lot of thank you's...

Haha, yeah I've had a couple of interviews with 5 and 6 people (never 7 though!). I might be being ridiculous, but I write to all of them. I have to do it right after the interview otherwise the conversations start to get a little hazy. 

On 3/18/2017 at 0:33 PM, Ultrapeaches said:

Question about Thank You notes after interviews:

Are you guys writing individual notes to each faculty member with whom you interviewed, or just one general note to the program faculty over all? I loved my experience at BU, but a lot of what excited me about the program were aspects I talked about with multiple faculty members and it would be challenging to write four thank you letters that were not redundant. 

I didn't send thank you notes for my interviews that have already happened, do you guys think I should send them now (a over a week later) or just leave it? I'll definitely send them to my interviewers in the future, but now am worried that not sending the ones from before would greatly affect my chances of getting in. Do you think that they put a lot of weight on them?

For those of you who have interviewed already, what types of questions did you ask your interviewers considering we are told to have questions prepared for our interviewers.