History 2010

Sparky

Congrats to the individual who has been accepted into Yale's MA in History program! I know you may be disappointed about not getting into the PhD program, but you still have an opportunity that could lead to you gaining admission into the doctoral program.

Speaking of which, is it just me or does Yale offer some of the best packages? I mean that sort of tongue-in-cheek as we all know that Yale, even in this economic downturn, has tremendous resources that allow for the institution to support its graduate students. But when you can give a full tuition remission and a $20K stipend to a MA student, that's significant. I know PhD programs at top insitutions that do not offer packages as good as this one.

Are your transcripts listed as missing on the apply yourself site for Temple? I just noticed it not too long ago, but am pretty sure that my transcripts arrived in Temple's Department of History, though.

My transcripts all show "received" on the online application. Not long after I submitted Temple actually emailed me because they had a problem with my GRE scores arriving. Hopefully if there's any problem with your transcripts they would have contacted you in the same way. I guess it never hurts to check, though.

It looks like there is finally some activity from Vanderbilt (according to the Results page).

I haven't heard anything yet about my Vandy application...I hope thats a good thing. Looks like the person on the results page probably got their notification via their PA, but who knows. Sorry to whoever it is!

Congrats to the individual who has been accepted into Yale's MA in History program! I know you may be disappointed about not getting into the PhD program, but you still have an opportunity that could lead to you gaining admission into the doctoral program.

Speaking of which, is it just me or does Yale offer some of the best packages? I mean that sort of tongue-in-cheek as we all know that Yale, even in this economic downturn, has tremendous resources that allow for the institution to support its graduate students. But when you can give a full tuition remission and a $20K stipend to a MA student, that's significant. I know PhD programs at top insitutions that do not offer packages as good as this one.

awwww thank you so much kai!! (it was me). yeah, i was a little disappointed about the doctoral program, but im just coming out of college anyway so it will be nice to have the extra language prep (japanese) before going into a ph.d. and yeah... im too am a little amazed by yale's deep pockets.

awwww thank you so much kai!! (it was me). yeah, i was a little disappointed about the doctoral program, but im just coming out of college anyway so it will be nice to have the extra language prep (japanese) before going into a ph.d. and yeah... im too am a little amazed by yale's deep pockets.

Couldn't it be your parents' academic connections, couldn't it? :P I would just go if I was offered that for my MA and just focus on language prep and apply again with everything, including Yale's name and professors for recs!

Couldn't it be your parents' academic connections, couldn't it? :P I would just go if I was offered that for my MA and just focus on language prep and apply again with everything, including Yale's name and professors for recs!

hahahahaha i wonder ;)

yeah, i think i may end up doing this (though im waiting to see what columbia says). anyone spent a significant amount of time in new haven before? i've heard it's not a great place to live (boyfriend very ambivalent about moving there), but i hope that i'll be proved wrong!!

That's exciting...I would probably do it. I'm so glad I got my Master's first because it gave me a much better SOP, better LORs, and tons more language work. And it's freaking Yale, and they are paying you...hard to say no to that.

I actually figured it was you. I remember you had not heard from Yale when all the rejections were announced. Congratulations! And, yes, Yale has deep pockets. Great place!

hahahahaha i wonder ;)

yeah, i think i may end up doing this (though im waiting to see what columbia says). anyone spent a significant amount of time in new haven before? i've heard it's not a great place to live (boyfriend very ambivalent about moving there), but i hope that i'll be proved wrong!!

I'm an undergrad at Wesleyan, which is near New Haven, and I think New Haven is great. Lots of really top notch restaurants, a first rate rock club (Toad's Place), a train station so you can go to New York any time you want, and all of the amazing resources of Yale. I would be happy to go to their MA program if I didn't have a PHD offer. Plus, Brandeis offered me the same finaid for the PHD that Yale offered you for an MA. That's awesome.

I haven't heard anything yet about my Vandy application...I hope thats a good thing. Looks like the person on the results page probably got their notification via their PA, but who knows. Sorry to whoever it is!

I haven't heard either but there are now 4 rejections posted so I doubt it came from a PA. I'm trying to take our lack of rejections as a good thing but I don't want to hold out hope like I did for another school only to get a rejection letter 2 weeks after others posted theirs. Good luck to both of us and whoever else is still waiting!

Yeah. I'm really praying for good news this week. I've really felt the despair this past weekend, and I talked to my advisor about it. He's still adamant that I will be accepted somewhere, and he is going to Columbia this week to give a lecture. Maybe he can give them a nudge?

I kid.

Is your adviser Jeremi Suri? If so, he will probably be having lunch with one or two people who will have some influence in admissions.

I think for those of us who are "still" waiting on Emory, we're done for. :( I met the professor (my potential advisor) for Emory twice- today for an informal conversation with grad students and yesterday at his talk. He didn't seem to recognize my MA thesis topic (okay, I know I'm being a "snowflake" but my topic is quite memorable for anyone- even I'm surprised how many people remember it over the past year) which I submitted for my writing sample. Or my name. If it was on admit list or a wait list. He didn't say a word to me other than to answer my question regarding his talk. I didn't have a private moment with him as everyone else was all over him.

So, put "Emory" on your rejection list.

And to hopkinsgirl, Nytusse is right. I'm in MA program as well. Even though you may be anxious to get into a PhD program now, you'll be SO surprised how much you can learn and catch up over the next year and half to create a very strong application. Looking at my application now, I wonder why I didn't apply to more MA programs two years ago. Now only that, you will grow a lot in terms of maturity as a scholar and professors will truly respect you more.

I just saw the one acceptance posted on the board for UT Austin. Congrats! Has anyone else heard from them? It is my top choice so I'm trying not to panic that I haven't heard anything...

I also got the official acceptance email from UT Austin, but I haven't posted on the results page. I'm also Caribbean/Latin America.

Is your adviser Jeremi Suri? If so, he will probably be having lunch with one or two people who will have some influence in admissions.

That is correct. I've been working with Suri for some time now, both with my UG thesis and helping develop content for his online summer courses. I wager he will have lunch with Alan Brinkley, who was a POC when I initially applied to Columbia.

Another Brandeis result; anyone want to claim ownership? I'm still waiting to hear from them, and it's killing me. *Laughs*

It was me. I was waitlisted a week ago, but I had a conversation with David Engerman today. He actually called me, not the other way around; I was quite touched and honored. I'd figure keep waiting, I'm sure that they'll send out their notifications soon. If you get rejected, I'm sorry. If you get accepted and have another offer, take the other offer so I can get in to Brandeis! tongue.gif

My transcripts all show "received" on the online application. Not long after I submitted Temple actually emailed me because they had a problem with my GRE scores arriving. Hopefully if there's any problem with your transcripts they would have contacted you in the same way. I guess it never hurts to check, though.

Uh oh. Thanks, though!

I'm also an Americanist, and likewise have yet to hear anything from University of Washington. Perhaps they are still deliberating...

Similarly, I've noticed that none of the Chicago admits on the board are Americanists. I (naively) hope that they are still deciding.

I heard from UW last week (Feb. 12) -- accepted with funding. They said they would be admitting people this week... I'm doing Russia and the Modern Middle East, for what it's worth.

hahahahaha i wonder ;)

Congratulations!! As a recent product of the Yale MA program, I highly recommend it. New Haven isn't half as bad as its reputation makes it out to be. I actually quite enjoyed it. And, yes, having a stipend for MA study was a great privilege - what with family burdens and responsibilities, I'd never have been able to afford an education otherwise. Also, with their recent addition of Dani Botsman, the Japanese History faculty is getting pretty strong!

It may be disappointing to be 'demoted' to an MA program, but it could be the best opportunity to come your way. It could give you time to really hone your skills and vision, and make your future PhD application all the stronger. That was certainly the case for me - I wouldn't have traded that MA year in New Haven for anything in the world, not even for a direct PhD entry elsewhere. (Then again, this is because the faculty was so perfect for my interests, which may not be the case for you?)

(Please do feel free to email if you have any questions!)