History 2010

Sparky

I got into Notre Dame's (medieval) history PhD program after all! It's my Holy Grail of grad schools so I'm thrilled beyond belief. The liquor stores were closed when I got the news; I celebrated instead with vodka. :P

And I'm in for straight-up medieval studies. :D My Holy Grail as well! LOL, we probably met at the interview marathon.

So I presume I will be seeing you in South Bend in the summer or fall?

I'm thinking they probably won't. They're keeping pretty silent about it, I think. Which makes sense, considering how sensitive a subject it is.

I emailed my PA a couple of times, and heard back last Monday that I was not on the fellowship list, so I would imagine that there WAS a list. Now, I'm not certain that this means that other funding can't open up later, but I know that they only cover travel costs if you ARE funded. If you really, really want to go there, you might have to contact your advisor again, the DGS, etc., and ask for more specifics.

If there aren't fellowships, though, I would think that would be bad news in terms of any funding from them at all, because it seems like being a TA is reserved for more advanced students. It's unbelievably depressing to get accepted to a great school with a perfect fit advisor and get zero dollars.

I emailed my PA a couple of times, and heard back last Monday that I was not on the fellowship list, so I would imagine that there WAS a list. Now, I'm not certain that this means that other funding can't open up later, but I know that they only cover travel costs if you ARE funded. If you really, really want to go there, you might have to contact your advisor again, the DGS, etc., and ask for more specifics.

Oh yeah, I'm sure there's a list. I just meant that they probably won't send out a mass email to us saying they're not going to fund us. They're probably just notifying those who are funded.

It's unbelievably depressing to get accepted to a great school with a perfect fit advisor and get zero dollars.

Even more so when all that's the case *and* it's your only acceptance!

Well, finally confirmed I am on the no list. For what it is worth, they said that they wait to inform everyone who didn't get a fellowship, because they could have someone turn one down and then reassign the award.

After weeks of poor sleep and refreshing Gradcafe, I found out I am going to Ohio State. How long did it take some of you to process the acceptance notification?

Hope you don't mind me asking, when and how did you find out? I've been talking to someone who is waiting on OSU and I know a lot of us have already gotten word, both positive and negative. He called like a lot of us also did, but they're keeping him dangling and saying sometime this week. I'm his official Gradcafe correspondent because he thinks being here will make him even more paranoid :)

On another note, is anyone still waiting on Georgetown? They are the last school I'm waiting on and it's killing me. :blink:

After weeks of poor sleep and refreshing Gradcafe, I found out I am going to Ohio State. How long did it take some of you to process the acceptance notification?

By the way, congratulations!!! :) :) :)

Hope you don't mind me asking, when and how did you find out? I've been talking to someone who is waiting on OSU and I know a lot of us have already gotten word, both positive and negative. He called like a lot of us also did, but they're keeping him dangling and saying sometime this week. I'm his official Gradcafe correspondent because he thinks being here will make him even more paranoid :)

On another note, is anyone still waiting on Georgetown? They are the last school I'm waiting on and it's killing me. :blink:

I'm waiting on Georgetown. They said they made their decisions, and will let everyone know within the next couple of weeks.

Re: Ohio State

I was told to check back this week to see about a TA postion, so I called again today. I found out that I am on the TA list, but that there are 30 names on the list and they are only taking 20. Unfortunetly, I am at the very bottom...

Edited by Nikki

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions! I will definitley look into those. I'm always looking for a cheap(ish) white wine.

Night Train express. If you can find it. May have to venture over the tracks to find a liquor store that sells it. 17.5% tastes like straight sugar. Bum juice. Gets you done in a hurry. $5/bottle.

"The Night Train is all business when it pulls into the station. All aboard to nowhere - woo wooo! The night train runs only one route: sober to stupid with no roundtrip tickets available, and a strong liklihood of a train wreck along the way... Some suspect that Night Train is really just Thunderbird with some Kool-Aid-like substance added to try to mask the Clorox flavor."

Otherwise, I recommend Ten High whiskey. Just mix a shot with your favorite cheap bear.

Take your advice from an experienced bum.

I'm waiting on Georgetown. They said they made their decisions, and will let everyone know within the next couple of weeks.

I'm also waiting for Georgetown. I called the history department a couple of days ago and the secretary advised that decisions had been made already and that if we hadn't heard anything yet, we had been rejected. As I posted in the GTown thread, though, the fact that not a single official acceptance/rejection has been logged on this board makes me skeptical. I'm hoping that she was just having a bad day.

Next couple of weeks? <_< Geez. Thanks so much for the info, preciate the help! :)

I'm also waiting for Georgetown. I called the history department a couple of days ago and the secretary advised that decisions had been made already and that if we hadn't heard anything yet, we had been rejected. As I posted in the GTown thread, though, the fact that not a single official acceptance/rejection has been logged on this board makes me skeptical. I'm hoping that she was just having a bad day.

Yeouch, how sweet of her! I hope for all our sakes that she was just having a bad day! I'll give her a ring tomorrow and see if she tells me the same thing, and I'll let you know! Thanks for info!

Yeouch, how sweet of her! I hope for all our sakes that she was just having a bad day! I'll give her a ring tomorrow and see if she tells me the same thing, and I'll let you know! Thanks for info!

Oh, good! I was going to try to call again but don't want to be a pest. I'd appreciate hearing what she says this time. :)

I heard from Notre Dame yesterday morning, and I am still positively floating. Not aided by any chemicals, either. :P I sort of have this sensation that when I am receiving my Ph.D diploma, I am going to turn to my parents and whisper, "Dude, I still can't believe I got into ND."

Congratulations, Encomendero! And good luck to everyone waiting on Georgetown and Indiana!

More than ten days. Had people read it to me just to ensure that I was not hallucinating, or giving it an over optimistic reading.

Congrats! :)

Night Train express. If you can find it. May have to venture over the tracks to find a liquor store that sells it. 17.5% tastes like straight sugar. Bum juice. Gets you done in a hurry. $5/bottle.

"The Night Train is all business when it pulls into the station. All aboard to nowhere - woo wooo! The night train runs only one route: sober to stupid with no roundtrip tickets available, and a strong liklihood of a train wreck along the way... Some suspect that Night Train is really just Thunderbird with some Kool-Aid-like substance added to try to mask the Clorox flavor."

Otherwise, I recommend Ten High whiskey. Just mix a shot with your favorite cheap bear.

Take your advice from an experienced bum.

What about Steel Reserve!

i don't know if anyone's still waiting on CMU, but a student there told me they only took 6 students this year (and 6 last year as well).

Yeah, I got rejected from there and raged. I was more attracted to Pitt anyways though... so whatevs. Aren't you there now? I'm on this list waiting to hear back about funding, hope hope hope HOPE I get it weeeeee.

This sounds like all I could ever hope for and more!

I can't wait to buy my ticket.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Two/Three Buck Chuck. It's pretty much the Holy Grail of cheap wines!

La Granga tempranillo from Trader Joe's is where it's at. $3.99! I wouldn't have made it through the winter without it.

Yeah, I got rejected from there and raged. I was more attracted to Pitt anyways though... so whatevs. Aren't you there now? I'm on this list waiting to hear back about funding, hope hope hope HOPE I get it weeeeee.

yep, i'm there/here now. my acceptance email from them included my funding package, but i know that they worked pretty hard throughout the spring to cobble together packages for other students so that none of the incoming class had to teach in their first year. no guarantee that it will be the same this year, but i can promise you that they keep working to put together your financing well into the summer. a colleague of mine was offered a TAship in his first year and mid-summer another fellowship became available so they offered it to him.

edit: if you have questions about the program, feel free to pm me. i will brag that in last week's seminar, the professor made us all brownies. and they're supposed to renovate the grad lounge over the summer, so we've got our fingers crossed that the department will approve our proposal for a wet bar. :lol:

Edited by StrangeLight