Do I have a chance for PHD Florida programs?

agf95

Greetings, my name is Alex and I am inquiring to see if I stand a chance at being accepted to Ph.d. programs in my home state of Florida. I am willing to be accepted to a smaller programs like FAU (average GPA of admitted students is 3.6), but I'm mainly only considering public programs, also I am prepared for the LMHC or MFT route if I don't stand a chance. My stats are good, but not stellar:

GPA: 3.558

GRE:156Q&155V (AW is not scored yet)

Graduated from Sacramento City College with honors, transferred to Humboldt State aka California State University (Humboldt)

Major GPA: 3.64

Last 60 semester hours GPA: 3.97

On track to graduate MAGNA CUM LAUDE

Student researcher, for 4 semesters, in 3 experiments working under a fairly well known researcher 

Authored a poster presented at WPA in 2016 and will again in 2017

I volunteer in 2 places right now one is in a fairly influential role at a family resource center and secondly I am conducting the day to day operations of a local nonprofit (which is an indoor park for skateboards, bicycles, scooters, rollerblades and roller-skates) including data entry and supervision of very young children. 

PSI CHI member

Academic honors awards continually for the past 2 years

Thank you for your help

Edited by agf95

What are your research interests within psychology? Are there people at each (or even any) of the schools in Florida who would be a good fit for your research interests? Without knowing that, it's impossible to say anything more than "anyone has a chance at getting in". Research fit is key when it comes to Ph.D. programs so narrowing your goal to a single state without considering that is not a good application strategy/approach.

@agf95 Also the GRE percentiles are very important. You want to look up the admission requirements for GRE scores at each school you apply to. If you don't meet the GRE requirement your application may not make it past admissions. I had this problem with some of the schools I applied too. Schools like UC Davis, UC Berkeley, UCSB, UCSD, and UC Irvine all want you to have around 80th percentile GRE scores. It's a bummer that a standardized test is used to determine whether or not you make it past admissions. 

If you have to retake your GRE you still have time and I highly recommend using a program like Magoosh to help you study. In my opinion it is worth every penny. 

Edited by Deathbyqtip

On 7/7/2016 at 6:48 PM, Deathbyqtip said:

@agf95 Also the GRE percentiles are very important. You want to look up the admission requirements for GRE scores at each school you apply to. If you don't meet the GRE requirement your application may not make it past admissions. I had this problem with some of the schools I applied too. Schools like UC Davis, UC Berkeley, UCSB, UCSD, and UC Irvine all want you to have around 80th percentile GRE scores. It's a bummer that a standardized test is used to determine whether or not you make it past admissions. 

If you have to retake your GRE you still have time and I highly recommend using a program like Magoosh to help you study. In my opinion it is worth every penny. 

I would second this advice.  Your research experience seems good but cumulative GPA is a little low depending on the programs you are applying to.  Scoring highly on the GRE is one way to show that you have the intellectual and academic chops to be a successful researcher.  

See my post in this thread for advice on how to prepare for the GRE: