Yo anyone else side-eyeing that crazy detailed Courtauld scholarship application they emailed out today? They want full bank and credit card statements for three months!  I feel like they're going to look at how much Thai food I've ordered and how much money I spent on fancy dresses in December and just decide I deserve no scholarship money at all.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:05 AM, skydancer said:

Yo anyone else side-eyeing that crazy detailed Courtauld scholarship application they emailed out today? They want full bank and credit card statements for three months!  I feel like they're going to look at how much Thai food I've ordered and how much money I spent on fancy dresses in December and just decide I deserve no scholarship money at all.

I applied to the Courtauld last year and I remember thinking the EXACT same thing about the scholarship application! Although I was accepted, I turned down my offer which came in prior to knowing the funding, so who knows if all that work paid off! Good luck with it though--it's quite intensive and definitely makes you question every purchase decision you've ever made over the past few months lol. 

Edited by McGhee

Guest tarsila89

Considering that UC Berkeley has already interviewed and accepted students, can't they just reject me already? I hate being in this limbo. :angry:

4 minutes ago, Mazinha88 said:

Considering that UC Berkeley has already interviewed and accepted students, can't they just reject me already? I hate being in this limbo. :angry:

Yeah, I saw the post on the results list too, so now I'm just waiting for my rejection email. Wommmmmp.

Guest tarsila89
1 hour ago, JellybeansGalore said:

@arboreal05 Ad coms might not be sadists, but we sure as hell are masochists.

Meanwhile, I have a phone interview for the MA program at UC Riverside today at 2. I'm trying to guess what questions they will ask so I can write up a cheat sheet to help me avoid rambling.

Good luck!! 

I'm glad to hear it! From what my advisors said, schools don't like it when you seem to be too committed going in to a phd, which made it hard to write a statement of purpose. How do you show focus and open mindedness at the same time?!?

What do you work on, if you don't mind sharing? 

I know I am just being paranoid at this point, but POIs that I have exchanged a few emails stopped replying.

OHMYGOD it's been a week since they stopped (probably because there's nothing more that they want to know/get from me)

and I am just waiting in my room sweating nervously and checking my inbox every so often. 

Waiting game is difficult... ;_;

21 hours ago, arboreal05 said:

I'm glad to hear it! From what my advisors said, schools don't like it when you seem to be too committed going in to a phd, which made it hard to write a statement of purpose. How do you show focus and open mindedness at the same time?!?

What do you work on, if you don't mind sharing? 

Medieval German communities in eastern Central Europe. I did try to indicate that I was flexible and open to refining my scope and whatnot, but that might not have been clear enough in my sop. Lessons for next time I suppose. Seriously, I just wanted to write "here's what I want to do, but I'm well aware that no one in the US is working in this area, so hey! I'm flexible! please let me in."

Ugh.

Hi! 

Newbie speaking, I've a Skype interview this week with the Courtauld, for my first option too. I'm overjoyed, but terrified as well. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice? Of course, I'll get prepared for it, but I'd welcome any insights about what kind of questions to expect, etc. It's a first for me! I was accepted at other unis in the UK last week, but still, attending the Courtauld would be a dream come true.

Thanks!

Edited by VAMuseum25

3 hours ago, VAMuseum25 said:

Hi! 

Newbie speaking, I've a Skype interview this week with the Courtauld, for my first option too. I'm overjoyed, but terrified as well. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice? Of course, I'll get prepared for it, but I'd welcome any insights about what kind of questions to expect, etc. It's a first for me! I was accepted at other unis in the UK last week, but still, attending the Courtauld would be a dream come true.

Thanks!

Congrats on your interview and other offers! What option did you choose? I had a successful interview last year for the Experiencing Modernism option and it was quite conversational, nothing too formal. Granted, mine was in person and I also sat in on the class prior to the meeting. However, it was fairly laid back and most of the discussion was on my experience (or elaborating on) since the Courtauld's app doesn't ask for a resume. There was a brief discussion on my research interests as well and how or if those intersected with the Professors. So know their work as best as possible or at least familiarize yourself with some publications. I also had 2 offers from other programs at the time so that made a huge difference going into the interview. The best advice that was given to me and I'll share with you: Be prepared to ask questions as well since you are also interviewing them, especially if you come in with other offers. The Courtauld is a unique program, make sure it's the right fit. Find out if the course crosses over with others so you have access to more than one professor (i.e. Experiencing Modernism had cross-over with Russian option), or the professor's focus is not quite what you expect from the option (more architecture or design focused that painting for example). I originally had my heart set on the Courtauld, but after the visit and interview realized that it was not the best fit for me and I rejected the offer.  Also, don't sweat too much if you don't hear back immediately after the interview! It was a month and a half between my interview and official offer.

I hope that helps you and good luck on your interview! Best wishes on your decisions!

38 minutes ago, JellybeansGalore said:

@VAMuseum25 A friend of mine is in the Courtauld program right now, but I can't remember her email, otherwise I'd ask for you. <--- not terribly helpful

That would be amazing! There's still time to remember her email... In any case, I really appreciate all the advice that I've received so far. 

3 hours ago, McGhee said:

@VAMuseum25 That option sounds perfect for you--Best of luck!  And if you end up at UCL, I'll see you there; I deferred my offer to this year due to funding. :)

Cheers!

Sounds great! I'm not even sure if the courses at UCL would be a right fit for me, given my area of research. But the faculty is really good and there could be ways to work with that. We'll see what happens, because I also have to figure out the funding now. Didn't really dare hoping/dreaming that I'd get accepted in the first place. Big decisions! I'll see you at UCL otherwise^_^

I can't help but wonder how the US's descent to authoritarianism is going to affect us international applicants. Will admission committees change their criteria of selection to favour, perhaps, topics that speak to the present moment? Will they limit the  admission of international brown students given the anticipated rise in hate crime and increasingly difficult visa procedures, etc.? Is the US the right place to be right now? And how do we go about supporting the demand of various resisting groups to boycott the US? Has anyone been thinking about this lately? Would love to hear your thoughts...

Edited by la_bouche22

Hi everyone! I just got an email from one program's POI, he writes that I've been recommended for admission into grad program. 

Not 100% what "recommended for admission" means, does that stand for some kind of informal offer? 

42 minutes ago, yvz said:

Hi everyone! I just got an email from one program's POI, he writes that I've been recommended for admission into grad program. 

Not 100% what "recommended for admission" means, does that stand for some kind of informal offer? 

Sounds like it to me! I think they just have to clear it with the Grad School. Sounds like you're in. 

42 minutes ago, feelthebern16 said:

Sounds like it to me! I think they just have to clear it with the Grad School. Sounds like you're in. 

Thanks! I think you are right. I just had chance to talk to my current supervisor, she told me that at my home institute, such a phrase means the dept makes a list and send it to the graduate division, and she never experienced a grad dean not approving a file. 

So I guess, my first good news, although not 100% secure right now. :) 

Hey! I hope you all have heard some good news so far (though I haven't yet.)

Does anyone know if IFA sends out interview invitations all at once? I saw multiple people have been emailed today to schedule interviews with the committee and POI. If I haven't received one by now, does it mean that I am basically rejected? IFA is my top choice. I am so sad...................