Columbia Ph.D/Ed.D Funding in Education?

frissoli

I was looking into Columbia's Ph.D and Ed.D programs and was unable to find clear information on how Teacher's College handles Ph.D funding. On the website it says "Ph.D. students normally receive the annual prevailing stipend and appropriate tuition and health fees for five years, provided that they remain in good academic standing and, in the case of student officers, have discharged responsibly their pedagogical or research duties." Other programs that I have looked at have more or less stated explicitly that all Ph.D programs have their tuition covered for 5 years. 

Does anyone know if tuition is covered for Ed.D programs/Ph.D programs at Teachers' College? What's the funding like (if any) for these programs? Thanks for your help!

12 minutes ago, frissoli said:

I was looking into Columbia's Ph.D and Ed.D programs and was unable to find clear information on how Teacher's College handles Ph.D funding. On the website it says "Ph.D. students normally receive the annual prevailing stipend and appropriate tuition and health fees for five years, provided that they remain in good academic standing and, in the case of student officers, have discharged responsibly their pedagogical or research duties." Other programs that I have looked at have more or less stated explicitly that all Ph.D programs have their tuition covered for 5 years. 

Does anyone know if tuition is covered for Ed.D programs/Ph.D programs at Teachers' College? What's the funding like (if any) for these programs? Thanks for your help!

Tuition is not automatically covered. I know that they have been working to increase the amount of funding for doctoral students, but I I believe it is still spotty and program-dependent. I have friends there with almost zero funding, and others with 4 years of tuition covered. However, even with the latter it still sounds like living stipends leave a lot to be desired. The only way to know whether you'll be funded is to apply, and wait for your financial aid letter a few weeks after acceptance. It is by no means guaranteed.

Thanks for your insight! I've heard that too and that's why I was curious to see what sort of offers people received. Really appreciate your response. Do you happen to know if Ed.D "qualifies" for funding at all? I've heard that most people have to pay their way through completely. 

@frissoliI briefly talked with some professors in the C&T department about an Ed.D., and was promised that they are working to increase funding there too. I didn't end up applying, but professors sounded optimistic about funds.

I talked to a professor in the IED program and she said that they were not giving much to masters students anymore so that all the doctoral students could be fully funded.  So like Levon3 said, it's program-specific.