MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

7 hours ago, bspesak said:

haha. I wouldn't get your hopes up, sadly. The email said that interview requests had been sent out but they are keeping some applications open until final decisions are made. I have pretty much taken it as, you did not get in. haha

haha ok good to know! thanks for sharing!

17 minutes ago, M@H said:

Hi, I have been reading here for quite a while and thought I should register for an account. My background is in engineering and finally decided to take art more seriously. I have applied for painting. Rejected by Yale and Northwestern. Interviews for SFAI and SVA., and waiting on Cornell. I have two questions:

First, I see people have scheduled interviews for Cornell, I haven't heard back from them. Does it mean I am rejected and they will give me the notification when everything is finalized?

Secondly, I need advice on my interview with SVA. I am an international student and SVA doesn't have much info on their website about financial aid for internationals. Is it OK to ask them about possible financial aid opportunities in the interview? Or should I contact their admissions director for such negotiations?

congrats on the interviews :). Your situation is quite like me except that I haven't heard from any of the programs I applied and I may prepare myself for the next year :D 

1 hour ago, Tyra1992 said:

What are the aspects that gave SAIC bad reputation? 

I've heard that they are a bit too coorporate but I didn't care that much cause I think that all of the private ones are as well? But could you tell a bit more Nicole? I'm curious, I have an interview there and am looking forward to it. At the same time I have been thinking that if I would get in and decided to do it I would have to get many loans to fund it. 

I wouldn't call it a bad reputation—overall I think SAIC has a good reputation. It's a really big school (the number of MFA students is in the hundreds) and I've heard it described as an MFA factory. Maybe that's where the corporate comparison comes from. It is really expensive—one person per department gets full funding generally, and a few more might get half-funding. I've heard you have to fight for attention. So again, not necessarily a difficult or bad thing for the right personality.

The scene here in Chicago is very dominated by SAIC students, alum, & professors. Sometimes it can feel a little bit like an uphill battle to network & meet other artists. This is the case with every major art scene, but Chicago in particular is very much of a one-school town. People assume I went to SAIC until I tell them otherwise. 

If I wanted to stay in Chicago, I would 100% go to SAIC. Other than the insular scene, Chicago is a great place to be an artist. There's a good amount of global attention, space is cheap, the food scene here is incredible, there's a range of artist-run spaces and white cube galleries, a unique history, and the winters aren't *that* bad. I've been really happy living in Chicago. But the reality is still that the art world in the US is focused in LA & NYC—even artists with really strong connections to Chicago often eventually move.

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers lol. I have a ton of respect for artists who went to SAIC. It just really isn't for everyone. (also as a uchicago alum I do get a lil salty with the amount of attention their students get)

Edited by sylviecerise

11 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

I wouldn't call it a bad reputation—overall I think SAIC has a good reputation. It's a really big school (the number of MFA students is in the hundreds) and I've heard it described as an MFA factory. Maybe that's where the corporate comparison comes from. It is really expensive—one person per department gets full funding generally, and a few more might get half-funding. I've heard you have to fight for attention. So again, not necessarily a difficult or bad thing for the right personality.

The scene here in Chicago is very dominated by SAIC students, alum, & professors. Sometimes it can feel a little bit like an uphill battle to network & meet other artists. This is the case with every major art scene, but Chicago in particular is very much of a one-school town. People assume I went to SAIC until I tell them otherwise. 

If I wanted to stay in Chicago, I would 100% go to SAIC. Other than the insular scene, Chicago is a great place to be an artist. There's a good amount of global attention, space is cheap, the food scene here is incredible, there's a range of artist-run spaces and white cube galleries, a unique history, and the winters aren't *that* bad. I've been really happy living in Chicago. But the reality is still that the art world in the US is focused in LA & NYC—even artists with really strong connections to Chicago often eventually move.

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers lol. I have a ton of respect for artists who went to SAIC. It just really isn't for everyone. (also as a uchicago alum I do get a lil salty with the amount of attention their students get)

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Yes, I can understand a bit better now. There are indeed many many masters, it's absurd. I'm excited and I think I would like the city. Let's see how the interview goes.

Good luck!

6 minutes ago, artdreamer said:

congrats on the interviews :). Your situation is quite like me except that I haven't heard from any of the programs I applied and I may prepare myself for the next year :D 

Thanks man, but even if I get an admission, without funding I cannot afford these schools anyway. We'll get ready for next year as well.

I just applied to these expensive schools to get an idea of how far away I am from standards of Arts community. However, I do not know whether getting interviews from high acceptance rate schools is a powerful signal.

17 hours ago, hihello326 said:

Photo people! Has anyone in photography heard back from RISD or SAIC (interview/decision)?

My current status:

Yale-rejected

UC Berkely-rejected

Parsons-interview 2/9

SFAI-interview 2/23

Waiting for RISD, SAIC, SVA, UCLA, Cornell 

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews ! + Good luck everyone (including myself (-:  ) ! 

Hey! I just had a Skype interview with SAIC for photo today. And haven't heard back from RISD yet, but noticed that I had a hit on my site from Rhode Island yesterday so I guess that means that they're in the process of making their decision?

Edited by jakersilby

26 minutes ago, M@H said:

Thanks man, but even if I get an admission, without funding I cannot afford these schools anyway. We'll get ready for next year as well.

I just applied to these expensive schools to get an idea of how far away I am from standards of Arts community. However, I do not know whether getting interviews from high acceptance rate schools is a powerful signal.

I can't afford either, but I asked them before applying about this and when I made sure they have funding for international students, then I applied. You can ask them too.

"I just applied to these expensive schools to get an idea of how far away I am from standards of Arts community". this was one of my goals too. But now I think my art works maybe are not something they want. I was away from art community and I don't know how good are my art works and I really need some expert comments. Even if I apply next year, I still need to know how I can improve my portfolio:( 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, jakersilby said:

Hey! I just had a Skype interview with SAIC for photo today. And haven't heard back from RISD yet, but noticed that I had a hit on my site from Rhode Island yesterday so I guess that means that they're in the process of making their decision?

Hm, I just checked and I got a hit from Rhode Island today. But I know a lot of people in Providence, so I don't know if it means anything ? 

@Poodle-Doodle @Vespertine @sylviecerise @Tyra1992

In person interviews at SAIC on Saturday?  Anyone want to meet up for a drink?  Anybody else in Chicago this weekend?

I also heard it was a bit corporate but the Fiber faculty seem awesome, Chicago seems super exciting.  And I've seen a lot of SAIC faculty at other schools as well as grads stay as adjunct professors after graduating.

I know Yale is #1, but the environment seems pretty hostile.  I've visited and decided no thank you.  I'm hoping SAIC is a more experimental place and more open/welcoming of different types of people and ideas.  I've had a couple friends go to Yale and Columbia and they certainly got a lot out of the experience, but all of them seemed to survive their experiences.  I'm hoping grad school isn't quite that bad, I've been looking forward to it for so long.

I wrote to VCU and the grad office said letters should be going out this week, and news should arrive by end of next week.

I asked if Fibers had interviews, and they didn't respond to that.  On their website it said some departments don't conduct interviews.  FYI for anyone who is still waiting to hear from VCU, looks like news should be coming soon.

14 minutes ago, franster said:

In person interviews at SAIC on Saturday?  Anyone want to meet up for a drink?  Anybody else in Chicago this weekend?

I also heard it was a bit corporate but the Fiber faculty seem awesome, Chicago seems super exciting.  And I've seen a lot of SAIC faculty at other schools as well as grads stay as adjunct professors after graduating.

I know Yale is #1, but the environment seems pretty hostile.  I've visited and decided no thank you.  I'm hoping SAIC is a more experimental place and more open/welcoming of different types of people and ideas.  I've had a couple friends go to Yale and Columbia and they certainly got a lot out of the experience, but all of them seemed to survive their experiences.  I'm hoping grad school isn't quite that bad, I've been looking forward to it for so long.

SAIC's fiber department is really exciting! If I had decided to stay & apply, that's where I would have focused.

That is exactly why it's so important to not apply to schools based on name value alone!! Fit is important. I know I make my best work when in stressful environments. There were a few schools that I ended up veto'ing because they felt a little bit too relaxed for my working style. I know other artists who need to be more at ease in order to focus on the work. It's good to figure out these things before grad school so you can pick the environment that will allow you to grow the most.

Also—am down for drinks. :)

@franster I'd love to meet up, but I'm actually just Skyping in! I wish I could've made the trip; I love Chicago. 

In terms of SAIC being a place for experimentation, I've always gotten the impression that it's very interdisciplinary. I think it's a good place to experiment. The only particular downside to SAIC in my eyes is that I imagine many of their star faculty members are not super accessible or doing much actual teaching. 

Edited by Vespertine

7 hours ago, franster said:

I'm down. Flight gets in round 6PM. I think I should be settled by 8PM. I want to see how you Chicago folks hangout. 

On 23/02/2017 at 4:06 AM, Gwhar1 said:

Congrats to everyone getting offers and interviews! I have been stressing but it would be worse without all ya'll. 

I got rejects from Yale, Northwestern, and UCONN.

All Painting/Studio 

UCLA, status still says "no decision," I've heard nothing from PennDesign or Hunter. (Or anyone else) status' all say "submitted" or something like that. So I am holding on to some hope 

I applied to Hunter for painting and have an interview for mid march.

20 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Sure, it was just an email saying that I was among the finalist still under consideration for admissions. The email also requested that we chat either Wednesday or Thursday. I did it yesterday, it was pretty much more of a discussion of my work and how it would fit into the program. We skyped for about an hour and fifteen minutes. It fluctuated between us talking intense politics to us laughing things off. Only one downer was when I was asked about other programs that I am looking at, I was so conflicted about answering this question. How would you guys have responded?

I think it is ok to say what other schools you are looking into. However it is best to just list two other programs and not a long list. It shows interviewers that you are applying because you are interested in the university rather than applying just to get into any MFA program. 

I went in to a diatribe about Chicago schools and the SAIC thing but as @sylviecerise mentioned, Chicago is a weird, insular scene.

I differ in that if I were still there (I grew up there, lived and worked there for a number of years) I would go to UIC or U of C - SAIC, NU would be lower on my list. But having not gone to school at SAIC (I previously studied other stuff at universities not in Chicago), I had a tough time in the city in that respect. I didn't have that experience showing work elsewhere, but my own backyard was another story. It's like if you're not SAIC or Columbia (in some circles) are you really even doing work? And yea, SAIC is a cash cow, but I do have friends that have gone there and made great work - just very self directed. Great city in many ways though, and I may end up back there eventually. 

Edited by felixo

Howdy! 

I got a Yes from the SAIC LOW RES, but no real funding. Last year I was admitted to SAIC painting and drawing, but didn't get enough funding so I focused on the schools with lots of funding this year. 

Still waiting on UC Riverside, Cal State Long Beach. I also applied to Stanford and UCLA, but it's a long shot. 

It's my understanding that UC Riverside and Cal State Long Beach don't contact until the first week of March. Has anyone heard from those schools?

I hope the SAIC interviews go well for those people heading to Chicago tomorrow. Their painting and drawing faculty is pretty incredible. I also had a chance to meet with their new dean earlier this academic year. He's awesome.

Edited by AKinLA