Low Undergrad GPA, Good Publications and Recommendations. Do I have hope?

rhllor

Question

I completed my BS in Computer Science last year with a CGPA of 2.82. I have two publications (as co-author) at good venues. I am in the process of writing papers (as first-author) on two of my current projects, which will, unfortunately, be submitted after the current admission cycle has ended (after December). I will be taking GRE in the next month. I don't want to wait for the next year to apply and have decided to try my luck this year.

My main concern is my GPA. Most schools that I have looked at have a minimum requirement of 3.0.

Is there a realistic chance of getting accepted with my current stats, assuming I get a good GRE score? Should I apply to the schools that clearly mention a minimum GPA requirement of above 3.0?

Also, is it stupid to apply to Ph.D. programs with my current profile? Can I apply to both Masters and Ph.D. programs at the same school?

Edited by zaintq

3 answers to this question

The GPA requirement is usually set by the Graduate College. As such, it's unlikely that individual departments would accept someone with a GPA lower than that mandated by the College, since the college could just deny it based on not meeting the minimum GPA colleges. A GRE cannot make up for a GPA.

Some colleges say that you can apply to both the Master's and PHD program. Others won't allow it.

On 9/2/2016 at 6:39 AM, rhllor said:

So I should only target schools that either have a lower GPA requirement or don't specify it?

Thank you for your reply.

I'd email the Director of Graduate Studies on programs that don't specify it only if it doesn't appear on the Graduate School website. Unfortunately, it's often the case that you'll have to do some digging to see if you meet the requirements for certain programs.