Answers and Celebrations

JohnBom

The results page won't let me post right now, but I just heard a yes from Stanford via email and phone. What a day! I am so overwhelmed.

Congrats EdPolicy! Do you mind me asking what the phone call/email was like?

Congratulations, pl0x, I got into UCLA as well. I am super excited!

Congrats everyone!!! i also woke up to an email for admission to UCLA!! yay!!!! does anyone know about their funding options? i know we're supposed to hear back by the end of the month but i'm just curious

Congrats to EdPolicy and FallApplicant77! I was accepted to Stanford today, too! Do both of you intend to attend the visit days?

I do intend to attend visit days if I can get the time off from work! What about you?

The phone call and email were details about the offer and an opportunity to ask questions about my fit with the program. I am really pumped!

I do intend to attend visit days if I can get the time off from work! What about you?

The phone call and email were details about the offer and an opportunity to ask questions about my fit with the program. I am really pumped!

I will definitely be there; I am really looking forward to it!

I was just accepted to Columbia. I have to set up a time to talk on the phone tomorrow (I think they tried to call me today, but my cell phone is off because I'm abroad).

Congrats! That's great!

CONGRATS!!

I was accepted to Columbia too and talked with them yesterday. The visit day is March 2nd, I believe.

Massive congrats to both of you... it seems like you'll be having some tough choices to make in the near future!

A big congrats to everyone who has received acceptances in the past week!! I haven't heard anything from my schools yet but hearing the good news for other people actually helps as a distraction from the silence.

Here's to another good week for everybody next week.

Did someone really get into UPenn already or is this someone else confusing UPenn with Penn State? No offense, but if you don't know the difference between UPenn and Penn State (and their extremely different sociology department, not to mention Philly vs. State College) you shouldn't be applying there.

By the way, congratulations to the Columbia acceptances and to my fellow IU people.

Did someone really get into UPenn already or is this someone else confusing UPenn with Penn State? No offense, but if you don't know the difference between UPenn and Penn State (and their extremely different sociology department, not to mention Philly vs. State College) you shouldn't be applying there.

By the way, congratulations to the Columbia acceptances and to my fellow IU people.

Why wouldn't it be UPenn? Are they supposed to notify much later? I think it's the second acceptance so far.

Why wouldn't it be UPenn? Are they supposed to notify much later? I think it's the second acceptance so far.

UPenn usually notifies later, and it just seems strange that the notices came the same day as some of the Penn State notices.

Since some people didn't like my previous post about this let me clarify something: I don't come off as being elitist or anything like that. UPenn and Penn State are both very good soc departments, but they're very good in different things. They're also very different schools. I don't think one department is better than the other. I do apologize if i offended anyone.

Yes, congratulations to all recent admits!

No good news from my end, just my first reject from Stanford. I checked my e-mail account after seeing the rejects posted here so thanks so much for the warning! Stanford wasn't one of my top choices so the news is, uh, bearable.

I received many different advice regarding factors that influence admissions (e.g. fit with individual professors, fit with departmental specializations, faculty contact). I think it's going to be interesting to see which advice applies in my case. I did e-mail a few Stanford professors prior to my application. Obviously it didn't help much.

Added: Wow, I see some Princeton admits! Somehow I wish that I could sit down with every one of you and have a chat about our perspective journeys.

Edited by newday123

No news from Columbia yet for me so I presume that's a rejection. I called the dept though and was told by the assistant to wait for the GSAS reply. Not sure if I should check with the Prof I contacted earlier on....

I was just thinking about contacting a Professor there too. What's the downside?

I was just thinking about contacting a Professor there too. What's the downside?

That we're in the running for the second round of admissions, but somehow manage to annoy ourselves out of it? haha..seriously, I'll probably wait until the end of the week before emailing a faculty member. Even rejection emails shouldn't take longer than that if the acceptances are already out, I think.