Fall 2010 application season Chem responses

Steph<3Chem

I'm waiting on Yale too, but it's come to the point where I'm visiting a school every weekend (except Easter) until April 15th and I really can't miss any more class than I already am... I'm not going to Yale without visiting (MIT or Caltech, I'd think about it, but that's it) nor am I being rude enough to cancel on schools who have purchased airline tickets for me. So should I get in, I'll decline, and if I don't, I won't be upset because I'm not sure I want to go to a school that strings you along like this - I'm just imagining submitting forms for defending in 5+ years and not hearing back from the administrators for weeks...

Tell me yes, no, or waitlist already - if every other school with a Jan. 2 (and 15th, for that matter) deadline can by now, so can Yale.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way as you about Yale at this point. Ambivalent decision wise, just irritated to have heard nothing.

Although I am not that booked with visits, wow you are going to be busy! I limited myself down to applying to 5, and have only heard back from Cornell and UNC-CH (my hardest ones too! lol weird) so aside from Yale, the other ones were a safety school and a middle-ranked school, which just don't seem worth visiting considering my other admits. So how many are you visiting? Like 6? That is crazy but congrats on all the admits! Hope you find a great fit.

I've been neither accepted nor rejected... nothing about anything on the UPenn "Apply Yourself" website other than "Application Status: Complete". I emailed them at the beginning of February because they never updated my file (so it looked like I was missing material) and they told me that my application had been sent for review but it could be a "lengthy process and hoped to make decisions by the end of the month". I guess it's taking a little longer than they've expected...

If you sign into your application at UPenn, through the apply yourself website it will let you know the status of your application. For people that have been accepted/rejected, does it say that?

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way as you about Yale at this point. Ambivalent decision wise, just irritated to have heard nothing.

Although I am not that booked with visits, wow you are going to be busy! I limited myself down to applying to 5, and have only heard back from Cornell and UNC-CH (my hardest ones too! lol weird) so aside from Yale, the other ones were a safety school and a middle-ranked school, which just don't seem worth visiting considering my other admits. So how many are you visiting? Like 6? That is crazy but congrats on all the admits! Hope you find a great fit.

Yeah it's going to be a crazy month. I'm visiting 5, and heard back from early and planned visits at 2 schools I probably will not attend now that I've heard back from the others but they bought me plane tickets so I'll give them a look. I'm also trying to coordinate location with a significant other applying for PhD programs (not chem), so that's a factor too.

I have to say, all these schools withholding their decisions for so long irritates me. I have not heard a peep from Yale, but I got accepted to higher-ranked programs over a month ago! At this point it just feels really pretentious, like they are so good they can take their time because they don't have to make the students happy....in comparison with Cornell (a higher rank), who is constantly sending me things trying to show that they really want me there.

Yale and these other schools drawing it out this long just leave a really bad taste in my mouth. For me, I got into my top 2 choices, I am visiting them and even if I get into Yale at this point I am not planning on visiting. Maybe I am being a harsh judge, but I am afraid that that kind of attitude within an institution would not mesh with me anyway....

End rant. Sorry had to get it out, it has been irritating the crap out of me.

This is precisely the reason I didn't apply to Yale. I went to a graduate fair, passed out my CV to some lucky booth attendants, and when I walked up to Yale's table, I was met with icy-cold glares of elitism.

These were the worst graduate recruiters I've ever met.. I'm not even sure why Yale had a booth, because the only message their recruiters conveyed was, "you're not worthy of us".

So sorry Yale, I'm stuck choosing between Harvard and Stanford. Looks like you're number three.. yet again.

I've been neither accepted nor rejected... nothing about anything on the UPenn "Apply Yourself" website other than "Application Status: Complete". I emailed them at the beginning of February because they never updated my file (so it looked like I was missing material) and they told me that my application had been sent for review but it could be a "lengthy process and hoped to make decisions by the end of the month". I guess it's taking a little longer than they've expected...

I was accepted to UPenn in mid Jan and they posted my decision in the Apply Yourself website in early Feb.

I was just notified that application decisions for MIT are now available online. I don't know whether or not this is true for everyone- but just a heads.

Torn between biophysics at tsri and ucsd... Help! Research looks great at both!

Career in academia is where I wanna be in 8 yrs

How grown up are you feeling right now? Because the advice I was given (aside from that TSRI is an excellent institution) is that going there would be more like going to a job than continuing the college experience. There are no undergraduates there, no undie run etc etc

Both would be a good starting point for the kind of career you want. I am also interested in UCSD and I saw on their chemistry page that about 65% of their phds go on to work in academia. Maybe that just means they cant find a job so they all become post-docs :lol:

Graduates typically obtain jobs in academia (65 percent) or in the chemical industry (35 percent). Many take postdoctoral research positions in academic institutions and national laboratories that lead to future academic or industrial careers at other prestigious institutions.

I was just notified that application decisions for MIT are now available online. I don't know whether or not this is true for everyone- but just a heads.

Did they send you a personal website, or is it tied through applyweb?

Did they send you a personal website, or is it tied through applyweb?

I got an email with a link to applyweb, clicked on the "MIT Graduate School 2010" or whatever link, and there was a box to click that said "View Decision." The email was very bland so I (correctly) assumed I was rejected - did anyone get accepted today via the same email/link process?

I got an email with a link to applyweb, clicked on the "MIT Graduate School 2010" or whatever link, and there was a box to click that said "View Decision." The email was very bland so I (correctly) assumed I was rejected - did anyone get accepted today via the same email/link process?

No email ... yargh. The wait continues. Thanks guys!

No MIT email. Got a nice letter via snail mail, though. Add that to the "out" list...

UPenn is killing me... Anyone have updates on them since last time?

No email ... yargh. The wait continues. Thanks guys!

Edited by gmr02

UPenn, Berkeley, UCLA, Yale... all of these have rejections/acceptances to make, and did not tell anything to anyone about when they are going to give an answer to the applications, but people insist on blaming only Yale... that's sad.

UPenn, Berkeley, UCLA, Yale... all of these have rejections/acceptances to make, and did not tell anything to anyone about when they are going to give an answer to the applications, but people insist on blaming only Yale... that's sad.

Who said anything blaming only Yale? Maybe most of the people who were posting only applied to Yale of the schools that have not given responses, so they are sharing their own experiences. If I started complaining about UPenn not giving responses when I hadn't applied that wouldn't make sense. So let's not be to quick to judge. I say if people want to vent their frustrations about this process to people going through the same thing, just let them. It's not like it's hurting you if other people are ticked off at Yale...

I have already got an acceptance from CU Boulder, but it is one of my safety schools and am waiting on my top two choices UPenn and Cornell and they seem to be taking forever to make a decision....Boulder wants me to visit their open house on march 12-13. I am so confused..should i mail UPenn and Cornell asking about the status??

I have already got an acceptance from CU Boulder, but it is one of my safety schools and am waiting on my top two choices UPenn and Cornell and they seem to be taking forever to make a decision....Boulder wants me to visit their open house on march 12-13. I am so confused..should i mail UPenn and Cornell asking about the status??

Sure, it can't hurt to try! I seem to hear a lot of people are waiting for UPenn, but Cornell has been more on top of it (I heard back at the end of January), and their first Visitation Weekend is this coming weekend. And they are pretty good about answering emails, either email chemgrad@cornell.edu or you could go straight to the admin Pat Hine ( pah3@cornell.edu ). Good luck!

Edited by so47

I posted a while back, but I (and two of my friends) was (were) accepted to Yale weeks ago and I spoke to professor on the phone from the department who told me that they do not directly admit students to their graduate program but have to recommend their admission to the graduate school who makes final admission decision. I spoke to the professor at the end of January and I was officially admitted by the end of the first week in Feb. At that point, the professor made the impression that the department had already recommended who they wanted and all other notifications were out their hands. They stated that the graduate school was taking longer than normal this year to send out acceptances. Acceptances came out quickly after that phone call but it also the graduate school who sends out rejections.

Keep in mind that not every chemistry department can directly admit you to their program, several can only recommend your admission and the graduate school will have final say. That is why notification from the graduate school is the only official acceptance.

I posted a while back, but I (and two of my friends) was (were) accepted to Yale weeks ago and I spoke to professor on the phone from the department who told me that they do not directly admit students to their graduate program but have to recommend their admission to the graduate school who makes final admission decision. I spoke to the professor at the end of January and I was officially admitted by the end of the first week in Feb. At that point, the professor made the impression that the department had already recommended who they wanted and all other notifications were out their hands. They stated that the graduate school was taking longer than normal this year to send out acceptances. Acceptances came out quickly after that phone call but it also the graduate school who sends out rejections.

Keep in mind that not every chemistry department can directly admit you to their program, several can only recommend your admission and the graduate school will have final say. That is why notification from the graduate school is the only official acceptance.

I believe you did not quite understand what I said. I have only said that it is not fair to blame Yale, since most schools still have rejections/acceptances to make.

I believe you did not quite understand what I said. I have only said that it is not fair to blame Yale, since most schools still have rejections/acceptances to make.

Sorry, I am in agreement with you but I think the point I was trying to make was that it is not always in the department's hands. I was just trying to share my experience with Yale, and while I do not know if the same case applies to any other schools, I imagine the likelihood is pretty good.

Have alot of other people not heard from MIT? does this mean we're waitlisted?

I haven't heard anything either, and I'm not sure what it means. Hopefully we'll hear something soon!