Fall 2010 application season Chem responses

Steph<3Chem

So from the results page, it looks like UPenn has sent out some more acceptances (as well as at least one rejection). Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, maybe a second wave of MIT acceptances?

I'm waiting on Penn and MIT as well. The DC area has been pounded with snow all week, so no mail :(

From what I hear Philadelphia has been too, so that may have slowed some things down with the admissions committee getting together (but hopefully not, for my sanity's sake).

Anyone heard from Berkeley recently? (organic)

Looks like the bulk of their acceptances go out early-mid January, with a wave of rejections following in late February. I wonder if they do rounds or are just really late sending out rejections.

I haven't heard a thing from them and I wonder if I still have hope. Sigh. . .

For people who have heard from Scripps and Cal Berkeley: when are their interview/visitation weekends? I'm still waiting on them and would want to visit if I somehow got in. Thanks.

Edited by Ziegler1988

I didn't apply to Scripps.

But Berkeley has a ton of visitation weekends. Every weekend from Feb. 25-27 to March 18-20, 4 in all.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

For people who have heard from Scripps and Cal Berkeley: when are their interview/visitation weekends? I'm still waiting on them and would want to visit if I somehow got in. Thanks.

I was "accepted for interview" at both Scripps campuses. The interview dates given for Florida are Feb 18-20, and March 18-20. The interview dates given for the LaJolla Campus are Feb 26-28, and March 5-7.

I found out both of these in Early-Mid January. Sorry...

I was "accepted for interview" at both Scripps campuses. The interview dates given for Florida are Feb 18-20, and March 18-20. The interview dates given for the LaJolla Campus are Feb 26-28, and March 5-7.

I found out both of these in Early-Mid January. Sorry...

Thanks for the info; I emailed them and they said that "applications are still under review and all notifications will be made by April 1st" so I suppose I still have a little hope.

Got in last month to Cornell, UCLA and UCI. Got rejected from Princeton last month and Caltech last week. As for Berkeley, I believe they will let us all know by the end of this month. Still waiting on Yale, Columbia, UCSB and UCSD. Has anyone been rejected from Berkeley?

Torn between biophysics at tsri and ucsd... Help! Research looks great at both!

Career in academia is where I wanna be in 8 yrs

I'd say if you want to be a professor at a high powered research institute then Scripps would probably be better since it's higher ranked and all about research. UCSD would probably be better if you want to be a professor at a smaller university that's focused on teaching since you'll get TA experience there. I haven't visited either, but from what I hear Scripps has no campus and you have to drive to go anywhere else.

For anyone waiting on Columbia, I just e-mailed them and they said that all offers of admission have been made and they are in the process of making a waiting list, although it is unlikely they will need it.

I have to say, all these schools withholding their decisions for so long irritates me. I have not heard a peep from Yale, but I got accepted to higher-ranked programs over a month ago! At this point it just feels really pretentious, like they are so good they can take their time because they don't have to make the students happy....in comparison with Cornell (a higher rank), who is constantly sending me things trying to show that they really want me there.

Yale and these other schools drawing it out this long just leave a really bad taste in my mouth. For me, I got into my top 2 choices, I am visiting them and even if I get into Yale at this point I am not planning on visiting. Maybe I am being a harsh judge, but I am afraid that that kind of attitude within an institution would not mesh with me anyway....

End rant. Sorry had to get it out, it has been irritating the crap out of me.

I have to say, all these schools withholding their decisions for so long irritates me. I have not heard a peep from Yale, but I got accepted to higher-ranked programs over a month ago! At this point it just feels really pretentious, like they are so good they can take their time because they don't have to make the students happy....in comparison with Cornell (a higher rank), who is constantly sending me things trying to show that they really want me there.

Yale and these other schools drawing it out this long just leave a really bad taste in my mouth. For me, I got into my top 2 choices, I am visiting them and even if I get into Yale at this point I am not planning on visiting. Maybe I am being a harsh judge, but I am afraid that that kind of attitude within an institution would not mesh with me anyway....

End rant. Sorry had to get it out, it has been irritating the crap out of me.

Did you write them yet? You probably did already.. but a non-ranting letter might let them know that they need to act on your application now.

I'm waiting on Yale too, but it's come to the point where I'm visiting a school every weekend (except Easter) until April 15th and I really can't miss any more class than I already am... I'm not going to Yale without visiting (MIT or Caltech, I'd think about it, but that's it) nor am I being rude enough to cancel on schools who have purchased airline tickets for me. So should I get in, I'll decline, and if I don't, I won't be upset because I'm not sure I want to go to a school that strings you along like this - I'm just imagining submitting forms for defending in 5+ years and not hearing back from the administrators for weeks...

Tell me yes, no, or waitlist already - if every other school with a Jan. 2 (and 15th, for that matter) deadline can by now, so can Yale.

Did you write them yet? You probably did already.. but a non-ranting letter might let them know that they need to act on your application now.

I actually have not written them yet, because I thought I remembered it saying all over the application that they were unable to give status updates on the application. But it might be worth a shot anyway. Would I write Admissions or the Chemistry Dept?