Question

Hi everybody 

I am applying to both Munk School of Global Affairs (U of T) and NPSIA (Carelton). 
I am also applying to GPSIA (U of Ottawa)...but i would say that it is my third option behind these two schools. 

I had a question regarding what criteria should I use to determine which program is a better overall program and why I may attend one over the other. 

I've already considered factors such as
- My own research interest (Intelligence, Global Security) 
- Faculty Research (For me, Carelton wins this one) 
- Tuition (20k v. 8k tuition + living expenses),
- Reputation (both are stellar schools) 

I remain unclear on the following: 
- employment prospects (employment percentages)  
- global reputation 
- opportunities throughout the graduate year
- co-op/internships etc. 

If anybody could help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated! :)
Thanks! 

5 answers to this question

On September 28, 2016 at 0:24 PM, Kyojin said:

Hi everybody 

I am applying to both Munk School of Global Affairs (U of T) and NPSIA (Carelton). 
I am also applying to GPSIA (U of Ottawa)...but i would say that it is my third option behind these two schools. 

I had a question regarding what criteria should I use to determine which program is a better overall program and why I may attend one over the other. 

I've already considered factors such as
- My own research interest (Intelligence, Global Security) 
- Faculty Research (For me, Carelton wins this one) 
- Tuition (20k v. 8k tuition + living expenses),
- Reputation (both are stellar schools) 

I remain unclear on the following: 
- employment prospects (employment percentages)  
- global reputation 
- opportunities throughout the graduate year
- co-op/internships etc. 

If anybody could help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated! :)
Thanks! 

NPSIA has consistently ranked as the best IR school in Canada, and back in 2007 (bearing in mind that this was 9 years ago) it was ranked second best in North America, higher than some of the Ivy League schools such as Harvard and Columbia. NPSIA has a lot of co-op and internship opportunities that have the potential to bridge you into a job, particularly in the federal government. Co-ops are paid. NPSIA is also very widely known and respected, especially around Ottawa. There is a large network of NPSIA alumni working around the city, which can be advantageous when applying to jobs. I would suggest that you don't get caught up in employment percentages. Realistically, you're going to get a good job coming out of either program, and both programs have some sort of co-op/internship component. 

I don't know much about Munk, but my sense is that it is more academically oriented. The vast majority of students at NPSIA choose the coursework/co-op route as opposed to a major research paper or thesis, although they have begun encouraging students to consider doing an MRP or thesis. It is a very practical, policy-oriented program, and it is often referred to as the "terminal degree" for the students who go there as most do not plan on pursuing PhDs (although you still can and NPSIA does have a fast track PhD program). So it really depends what you are hoping to do in your graduate program.

It is great that you are starting to consider where you would like to apply, and getting to know more about each of the programs. Honestly though, unless you are dead set on one of the options, a lot of your decision is most likely going to depend on what offers the schools make to you in terms of funding, research/teaching assistantships, etc. 

One last bit of advice - apply for external funding, and start looking into the deadlines. Carleton's OGS deadline was much earlier than other schools last year (December 1st, while the rest of the schools I applied to were in the new year). The SSHRC CGS-M deadline is typically also December 1st. They are very prestigious awards and well worth the time it takes to apply if you end up getting one. 

Edited by abibret

18 minutes ago, abibret said:

NPSIA has consistently ranked as the best IR school in Canada, and back in 2007 (bearing in mind that this was 9 years ago) it was ranked second best in North America, higher than some of the Ivy League schools such as Harvard and Columbia. NPSIA has a lot of co-op and internship opportunities that have the potential to bridge you into a job, particularly in the federal government. Co-ops are paid. NPSIA is also very widely known and respected, especially around Ottawa. There is a large network of NPSIA alumni working around the city, which can be advantageous when applying to jobs. I would suggest that you don't get caught up in employment percentages. Realistically, you're going to get a good job coming out of either program, and both programs have some sort of co-op/internship component. 

I don't know much about Munk, but my sense is that it is more academically oriented. The vast majority of students at NPSIA choose the coursework/co-op route as opposed to a major research paper or thesis, although they have begun encouraging students to consider doing an MRP or thesis. It is a very practical, policy-oriented program, and it is often referred to as the "terminal degree" for the students who go there as most do not plan on pursuing PhDs (although you still can). So it really depends what you are hoping to do in your graduate program.

It is great that you are starting to consider where you would like to apply, and getting to know more about each of the programs. Honestly though, unless you are dead set on one of the options, a lot of your decision is most likely going to depend on what offers the schools make to you in terms of funding, research/teaching assistantships, etc. 

One last bit of advice - apply for external funding, and start looking into the deadlines. Carleton's OGS deadline was much earlier than other schools last year (December 1st, while the rest of the schools I applied to were in the new year). The SSHRC CGS-M deadline is typically also December 1st. They are very prestigious awards and well worth the time it takes to apply if you end up getting one. 

Thanks for the heads up about external funding! 
Totally forgot about that :huh: 

Based off your advice, I feel like they're both stellar programs and it'll ultimately come down to the offers that each school makes.
I'm not hell bent on attending one over the other - both are great programs.

My main concern was with co-op, internships.
I know U of T has a mandatory internship as part of the program, but I wasn't 100% sure on NPSIA. 
Thanks for clearing things up!  

1 hour ago, Kyojin said:

Thanks for the heads up about external funding! 
Totally forgot about that :huh: 

Based off your advice, I feel like they're both stellar programs and it'll ultimately come down to the offers that each school makes.
I'm not hell bent on attending one over the other - both are great programs.

My main concern was with co-op, internships.
I know U of T has a mandatory internship as part of the program, but I wasn't 100% sure on NPSIA. 
Thanks for clearing things up!  

I don't believe that co-ops/internships are mandatory at NPSIA. A lot of students do apply though, and it's a big draw to the program. Here's some more info on how co-op works: http://carleton.ca/npsia/current-students-2/current-ma-ma-jd-students/co-op-program/ 

Best of luck with the application process!

On 10/25/2016 at 3:05 PM, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Hi,

I am new to TheGradCafe and was wondering where to find a thread for people in the same vein. I'm also applying to NPSIA, and GPSIA this year and we could all keep up with one another through the application process.

Do a search as there is a NPSIA/MUNK/GSPIA 2017 Application thread