Are you going to miss gradcafe?

Summit_Bid

Like many of you, I've been waiting it out in the gradcafe since I got my 15 apps done in October. I've been spending way too much of my work time perusing these forums like a mad woman. If I get accepted into a school, long gone will be the days are checking the results page every hour on the hour 365 days a year. Long gone will be the days of taking everything everyone posts personally and posting away until I finally get my last word in. Long gone will be the days of moping over the "positives" thread and rejoicing over the "negatives" thread.

How will you wean yourself off of something like the gradcafe who for so long not only was your comfort during those long winter waiting hours, but aided you in becoming a grad app fanatic? Won't you miss it...just a little?

I figure I might stick around and occasionally offer advice to the next round of applicants. It was really helpful for me to hear from current students, so I feel like I ought to return the favor. But I won't miss the obsessive checking part, that's for sure!

I'm with Rogue on this one, I lurked for most of this season, but (presuming I actually do well), I can use my new-found status to help out with the next batch of questions. Maybe we should set up a little group that sifts through all the previous posts and compiles the best advice into a big "read this first" document?

Maybe we should set up a little group that sifts through all the previous posts and compiles the best advice into a big "read this first" document?

Great idea Drcogsci!

Also, in case you haven't taken a chance to look yet, there is always the "Officially Grads" forums for once your in so it never has to stop. But, yeah, the anticipation thing, however nerve-racking, is kinda fun so I'll miss that tension feeling and sharing my pessimisim with others here on gradcafe.

I don't know if I'll still be here. I would like to and perhaps give other people a little advice or scare them to do well on their apps. Make sure they have reliable LORs too.

It does provide a certain sense of being knowing that you are crazy, but others are too!

I think I will stick around too (although I am currently feeling so pessimistic that just writing this is hard) and loiter particularly in the international students section as it would have really helped me at the beginning.

I am looking forward to being able to sleep properly and not getting a stomach ache just thinking about the possibilities though! Although I am sure I will start fretting over the logistics of moving country straight away though.

Good luck to all :)

I figure I might stick around and occasionally offer advice to the next round of applicants. It was really helpful for me to hear from current students, so I feel like I ought to return the favor. But I won't miss the obsessive checking part, that's for sure!

Ditto.

I hope to pay it all forward.

You can come back to the gradcafe and dump all your obscure knowledge about applications onto next year's crowd. :D

Will you miss the anxiety, the obsessiveness, the total craziness? Of course not! At least, I sure didn't, once it was over. Even for a minute!

I agree on both counts!

Of course it's in my interest to encourage you all to stick around but... I have to say that I'm here, through two rounds of applications, having earned a MA, and currently working on my PhD. Granted, I'm not here as often as I used to be but I check in on a regular basis (and not just because I'm a moderator).

If you want a challenge, I hold the title of "Most Posts Made on TheGradCafe" but I'm more than willing to give it up...

If I get in this round I've decided I'm going to share every bit of advice possible. Stuff that helped, stuff that hurt. Clearly since I'm no graduate student yet I think my opinions are of dubious quality, but I'm sincerely hoping that after this is over I can do what other people on this forum did for me, which is make the process slightly less painful.

So short answer: nope, I won't be missing it!

I don't like too many forums, but I actually enjoy the community here. It's nice seeing a forum of intelligent people, tied together without a lot of the drama and crap that plague a lot of other forums (well, minus the drama/freakouts of applications, of course).

If I get in this round I've decided I'm going to share every bit of advice possible. Stuff that helped, stuff that hurt. Clearly since I'm no graduate student yet I think my opinions are of dubious quality, but I'm sincerely hoping that after this is over I can do what other people on this forum did for me, which is make the process slightly less painful.

So short answer: nope, I won't be missing it!

Agreed. I got a lot of help with this forum, particularly the Results page (which has, so far, been accurate to within about a week of previous years), and I've appreciated all the help immensely. I intend on returning the favor to next year's applicants (assuming, of course, I'm accepted this year).

I think that The Grad Cafe--and many prayers--are the only things getting me through this entire nerve-wracking process. If I am admitted, I'd like to pay it forward like many have already decided. My hope is that I will be returning as a PhD student prepared to share advice and encourage applicants, instead of being an applicant again.