Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

43 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Calm down. 161 is a good quant score.

I'd just like to echo this - a quick look through the results section or the wrap-up threads will prove that people get into top programs with scores lower than 166-161 all the time. A score like that will not preclude one from admission anywhere. 

Ok, trying to take it with more calm. If the site would let me scrap the data I'd be asking for the descriptive statistics for each university but that wouldn't help either I believe. If you feel like it you can share how do you cope with the anxiety. In my case, I planned a long trip for February. Thank you and good luck to all of you!

Any practical tips to help relax during this limbo period (besides whisky, which is working for now)? So far I've entertained myself by reading through tons of old threads here and re-reading every part of my applications and second guessing every part of them, neither of which is actually helpful. 

I'm shooting for theory PhD programs (a stressful enough choice on its own). I'm coming from a no-name LAC undergrad, but my advisor/one of my letter writers has friends at two of the schools I applied to that I've been introduced to, so I'm at least on the radar. My GRE was alright (165V/159Q/5.0AW), but my GPA isn't excellent (3.54 overall, 3.81 in major courses). I'm definitely second guessing my writing sample and SOP, but the professors who reviewed them were happy. Overall, I think I have a good application so I'm trying to chill out a bit with the stress. 

Question someone might be able to answer: coming from a college with no name recognition, do adcomms pay much attention to the university letter writers earned a PhD at? Two of my recommenders took PhDs at my top choice school and program. I can't imagine that it hurts, but I just don't know if that's actually significant at all. 

14 hours ago, philpot said:

Any practical tips to help relax during this limbo period (besides whisky, which is working for now)? So far I've entertained myself by reading through tons of old threads here and re-reading every part of my applications and second guessing every part of them, neither of which is actually helpful. 

I'm shooting for theory PhD programs (a stressful enough choice on its own). I'm coming from a no-name LAC undergrad, but my advisor/one of my letter writers has friends at two of the schools I applied to that I've been introduced to, so I'm at least on the radar. My GRE was alright (165V/159Q/5.0AW), but my GPA isn't excellent (3.54 overall, 3.81 in major courses). I'm definitely second guessing my writing sample and SOP, but the professors who reviewed them were happy. Overall, I think I have a good application so I'm trying to chill out a bit with the stress. 

Question someone might be able to answer: coming from a college with no name recognition, do adcomms pay much attention to the university letter writers earned a PhD at? Two of my recommenders took PhDs at my top choice school and program. I can't imagine that it hurts, but I just don't know if that's actually significant at all. 

I think you've largely answered your own concerns. I would assume that for political theory, undergrad institution matters indirectly, in terms of access to political theory courses and faculty (several name brand schools do not have many of either, so name recognition, at best, is a proxy for student quality and not a great one at that). In your case, you seem to have had access to both. I would likewise assume that the PhD granting institution of your professors also matters indirectly, in terms of whom they know and who knows them. In your case, your letter writers seem to be well-acquainted. Undergrad institution and GPA aren't really factors that you can change at this point, so I wouldn't sweat about them (they'll probably care more about your theory course grades anyways). I've been told that GRE isn't that important (at least for theory) and is probably a cut-off at max (depending on institution, they may care about quant score so you can pass first year courses, but your scores are probably fine). 

Relaxation tips? Personally, I've just holed up and been reading and listening to / finding new music. I probably wouldn't read anything related to your writing sample (otherwise you'll probably slap yourself for omitting that really great quote from X or overlooking that Y described the exact same problem that you did and perhaps did so much better than you). Fiction, works by scholars in other disciplines, or other political theorists/philosophers which lie within your interests probably work well. If you're adamant about a need to stress over something, i.e. if you want to replace your application stress by stressing out over something else, you could always read the news (the comments section tends to be an effective place to feel anxious over how uninformed people are). Otherwise, try new cooking recipes? Bake? Binge-watch TV shows that you've fallen behind on? Find people to hang out with (its winter break for most college students, so I'm sure you could meet up with people that you haven't seen in a while and see how they've been)? The application process is largely out of your hands now, so getting hung up on what-ifs of your application won't change anything. If you feel an incessant need to check Gradcafe (especially the results section, as we approach Feb/March), maybe choose a specific point of the day to check.

Edited by Chausson

I was calm yesterday, but now realizing that the holidays are literally a few days away...this means complete silence from programs. And silence is nerve-wracking. 

Honestly, I think the best approach is to go to work. Although, this may be easier for those of us still currently in bachelor's/master's programs. Personally, I have a master's thesis to complete by the spring and I have a lot of work to do on that. Also applying to APSA for this upcoming deadline while working on my working paper that is stemming from my thesis work. In turn, for me...'waiting' is not really that stressful because, well, I am not actually waiting. I have too many things to do to sit there and wait.

We also have to keep in mind that for most of us (there are a handful of programs that give results in late Jan. but not many), we probably aren't going to hear back anything until Feb. So there is no point in stressing about it. Sure, we will all be thinking about it, it's inevitable, but we can limit our stress by just accepting that there isn't much value in really focusing on it until results actually start coming in.

And for the love of god, stop looking over your application materials; there is nothing to be gained there and if you worked hard enough on the front end you should be comfortable with them and be proud of what you did.

Edited by Comparativist

47 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Honestly, I think the best approach is to go to work. Although, this may be easier for those of us still currently in bachelor's/master's programs. Personally, I have a master's thesis to complete by the spring and I have a lot of work to do on that. Also applying to APSA for this upcoming deadline while working on my working paper that is stemming from my thesis work. In turn, for me...'waiting' is not really that stressful because, well, I am not actually waiting. I have too many things to do to sit there and wait.

We also have to keep in mind that for most of us (there are a handful of programs that give results in late Jan. but not many), we probably aren't going to hear back anything until Feb. So there is no point in stressing about it. Sure, we will all be thinking about it, it's inevitable, but we can limit our stress by just accepting that there isn't much value in really focusing on it until results actually start coming in.

And for the love of god, stop looking over your application materials; there is nothing to be gained there and if you worked hard enough on the front end you should be comfortable with them and be proud of what you did.

I can second this. While I am anxious about February, Ive so much work to do that it only creeps into my conscious rather rarely, like twice a day. I am preparing for exams in January (that I don't need) and Ive two papers I am working on and am currently trying to figure out which of the underlying files changed so that Ive now 15000 observations less than in the original run. Recently, I also decided to get my Math up to speed again and am working through an undergraduate calculus textbook when I can't read anymore as I find it rather relaxing to do some exercises. And of course, for the evenings there is always Wooldrige 2010.

Well, now the waiting begins. 

I think I have a solid profile and applications: senior thesis, 3.99 GPA, 170/161/5.5, TA/RA job for three years, and good letters. I applied to 9 programs, including 4 top 10 programs in Political Theory. 

The only thing keeping me sane right now is reading stuff that doesn't relate to my thesis, working out, and wedding planning. 

Has anyone submitted their application to Princeton before the deadline then UPDATED their personal statement before the deadline but notices that the original personal statement is recorded still..... 

Thanks!!!

8 hours ago, GradNYC said:

Has anyone submitted their application to Princeton before the deadline then UPDATED their personal statement before the deadline but notices that the original personal statement is recorded still..... 

Thanks!!!

Princeton probably has the same system as Columbia. You upload an updated one, but the old one remains, so the adcoms can look at it if they wish (I believe). 

I think some people may be using this forum solely as a straightforward message board, but there is a special tool for acceptances and rejections. If you mouse over the green/red dots, you will see GRE scores and UGPA. E.g., http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Political+Science+Columbia. It might put some of your GRE worries to rest, as there are plenty of people getting into top programs with modest scores and even rather low UGPA. I shudder to think about their epic LORs and writing samples.

Edited by Wanumman

On 12/25/2016 at 4:02 AM, GradNYC said:

Thanks!!!

The original statement is not recorded still. It only states the date of the original submission but it said on the top of the checklist before the deadline that they keep the date of the first submission but change the file. It is different from Columbia's process where you explicitly upload an updated version.

12 hours ago, Monody said:

The original statement is not recorded still. It only states the date of the original submission but it said on the top of the checklist before the deadline that they keep the date of the first submission but change the file. It is different from Columbia's process where you explicitly upload an updated version.

thanks for the clarification!

15 hours ago, Monody said:

thanks Monody! :)

How reasonable--if not useful--is it to follow up with the faculty to let them know that you have submitted application to their department? I am guessing it would not harm one's application nor would sound rude to intimate a faculty you had earlier contacted and got response that your application is formally in at their department and is under review.  Any thoughts or personal anecdotes will be appreciated.

56 minutes ago, swanblack said:

How reasonable--if not useful--is it to follow up with the faculty to let them know that you have submitted application to their department? I am guessing it would not harm one's application nor would sound rude to intimate a faculty you had earlier contacted and got response that your application is formally in at their department and is under review.  Any thoughts or personal anecdotes will be appreciated.

I was told that it does not hurt or help. Some will respond and some will not. Do not read it any sort of response you get. If you emailed them before and they responded, I see nothing wrong with you following up. If they respond rudely, that says more about them than you. 

4 hours ago, resDQ said:

I was told that it does not hurt or help. Some will respond and some will not. Do not read it any sort of response you get. If you emailed them before and they responded, I see nothing wrong with you following up. If they respond rudely, that says more about them than you. 

Thanks. My assumption was that following-up with the communication shows a sense of responsibility but worried it might be interpreted as an attempt to influence the outcome or get a preferential treatment over others. your response relieves that anxiety. I will probably follow-up.

Hi,

I am wondering how to check whether my official GRE score is well received.

Some schools offer checklists so that applicants can check the status, but schools like UCLA, Wisconsin, Harvard do not have such option as far as I know.

Do you guys have any idea?

Thanks. Happy New Year!

I'll suggest you email to ask.

I had some technical issue with my UCLA application, and the coordinator was willing to help check up applicant's status. I'm not sure about other Wisconsin schools, but UW-Madison would send you a confirmation email, saying that your application is complete.

If you followed the emailed instructions after submitting your application to create a "MyUW" portal account through Wisconsin, you should be able to log in to check the status of your application and see a checklist of the items they have received. 

omg, I'm so anxious as well. My research interest is not restricted to one field (it kind of overlaps IR and Political Theory) and now I keep asking myself whether I should have picked PT as a primary field instead of IR in one of my applications (I put IR 1st, PT 2nd).

I have POI in both fields, but I don't know, I'm feeling like the PT professor would be a better match, now. 

I decided to apply kind of late, so i did everything in a rush and ended up applying for just 4 programs.

O well, I guess I can always try next year .-.

Sorry for bothering you all with my anxieties, I just needed to vent them and I find it comforting sometimes to come here and keep up with some threads.

1 hour ago, GradNYC said:

Finally my scores sent! hopefully for applications due on Dec 15th, admissions committees haven't met yet. (yikes)

This is just speculation, but they probably haven't - at my current undergrad institution the administrative staff don't even go back to work until Jan. 3rd, and it seems unlikely that an adcomm would have time to meet during finals. I'm sure you're fine.