Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

2 minutes ago, ngsam191 said:

Anyone heard back from Emory for interview?

I too applied there. But as of yet is silence. If past is of any indication, emails for interviews should go out in the next two weeks. All the best,

Wow, there's a UGA acceptance on the results board! I think that's the first PhD admission of the cycle - anybody wanna claim it?

Side note: received an interview request today! It's so nice to have a bit of validation during this process - I hope that you will all experience this feeling soon.

Edited by dagnabbit

3 hours ago, KittenMittens said:

But yes, I'm thinking of submitting a proposal to APSA, if nothing more than to give me something to think about other than program notifications. 

Deadline has already passed. 

4 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

Wow, there's a UGA acceptance on the results board! I think that's the first PhD admission of the cycle - anybody wanna claim it?

Side note: received an interview request today! It's so nice to have a bit of validation during this process - I hope that you will all experience this feeling soon.

Congrats! Mind if I ask which school contacted you? 

4 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

That would be me.  Very nice call from the DGS.  Going to have to wait to make a decision for a while though, still have 6 more out there to hear from.

5 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

Congrats! From OSU or another school?

1 hour ago, changeisgood said:

That would be me.  Very nice call from the DGS.  Going to have to wait to make a decision for a while though, still have 6 more out there to hear from.

Congrats @changeisgood, I bet that's a great feeling!

7 hours ago, KittenMittens said:

And @RevTheory1126, just reading "next few weeks" was enough to induce some heart palpitations, haha. But yes, I'm thinking of submitting a proposal to APSA, if nothing more than to give me something to think about other than program notifications. Do you mind me asking what area of political theory you're interest in?

@KittenMittens yeah still a few days left, just add something else to scan your inbox for! Ha! In a nutshell, I'm interested in critical theory, affect, and questions about crisis, violence, and legitimacy. You?

1 hour ago, waterloo715 said:

Congrats! From OSU or another school?

2 hours ago, jazzmintea said:

Congrats! Mind if I ask which school contacted you? 

Thanks so much! I can share through DM if you're really interested, but I would rather not post the school publicly at this point. I will say that it is not a program that is known to conduct interviews, so I was pretty surprised. @changeisgood, congratulations! Even if Georgia isn't your top choice, an acceptance this early speaks volumes about your strength as an applicant.

1 minute ago, RevTheory1126 said:

The layers, the nuance, the timing.... It's like an Ocean's 11 troll!

Well, maybe I am projecting, but I don't see why they should be nearly a month early this year.

16 minutes ago, Monody said:

Well, maybe I am projecting, but I don't see why they should be nearly a month early this year.

I really doubt a month early. A very elaborate troll. 

4 minutes ago, philpot said:

At least one UNC post isn't a troll. I spoke with him about it yesterday. Can't say about the others. 

An actual offer with funding from the graduate school? Earliest result for this dept. was end of January. 

2 minutes ago, resDQ said:

An actual offer with funding from the graduate school? Earliest result for this dept. was end of January. 

He was surprised too. He got a department email confirming acceptance, I'm assuming with details to follow. I think he has an account on here so he might show up to confirm at some point, but we were just FB chatting about it last night. 

10 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

Thanks so much! I can share through DM if you're really interested, but I would rather not post the school publicly at this point. I will say that it is not a program that is known to conduct interviews, so I was pretty surprised. @changeisgood, congratulations! Even if Georgia isn't your top choice, an acceptance this early speaks volumes about your strength as an applicant.

Thanks much.  You know, it's funny, but I didn't really have a "top choice" when I went into this.  Each of the programs I applied to have certain unique advantages.  Once I find out how many other offers I get, I'll just have to sift through them and see what rises to the top.  Besides the research and faculty strengths in my subfield, there's funding amount and type, location, finding employment for my wife, a school for my kid, etc.  So lots to consider.

3 minutes ago, changeisgood said:

Thanks much.  You know, it's funny, but I didn't really have a "top choice" when I went into this.  Each of the programs I applied to have certain unique advantages.  Once I find out how many other offers I get, I'll just have to sift through them and see what rises to the top.  Besides the research and faculty strengths in my subfield, there's funding amount and type, location, finding employment for my wife, a school for my kid, etc.  So lots to consider.

Interesting you say this...we seem to be in similar situation (wife/child). In retrospect, my application list seems to have been finalized when i was at a point that I really couldn't rank them. I don't know how old your child is, but if you are stuck between choices=ceteris paribus-you might want to look at if they have a lab school. Some of the schools on my list have a school my daughter could attend at reduced tuition based on my status. Good luck!

36 minutes ago, philpot said:

He was surprised too. He got a department email confirming acceptance, I'm assuming with details to follow. I think he has an account on here so he might show up to confirm at some point, but we were just FB chatting about it last night. 

Yeah, one of the UNC results is mine. Departmental email/letter detailing a fully funded offer (assistantship+health). Obviously not a generic offer, as they went into detail about what professors I might be interested in working with, given my sample and SOP. Said that a letter from the graduate school would shortly follow. 

It completely took me by surprise--I didn't expect to hear anything back for weeks. 

7 minutes ago, StrengthandHonor said:

Yeah, one of the UNC results is mine. Departmental email/letter detailing a fully funded offer (assistantship+health). Obviously not a generic offer, as they went into detail about what professors I might be interested in working with, given my sample and SOP. Said that a letter from the graduate school would shortly follow. 

It completely took me by surprise--I didn't expect to hear anything back for weeks. 

Congrats on your offer! 

Was your status changed in the application system?