Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

3 hours ago, Monody said:

Well could have been another program there. 

I now checked it again and indeed the earliest I found was the 9th of February so that the assumed observation that there will be results at the end of January was indeed wishful thinking. Sorry.

5 hours ago, Monody said:

I now checked it again and indeed the earliest I found was the 9th of February so that the assumed observation that there will be results at the end of January was indeed wishful thinking. Sorry.

The wait continues... :blink:

One of my recommenders still hasn't submitted a letter for one of my apps. I'm pretty sure that's gonna look pretty bad, so I've kind of mentally ruled that school out as an option. I wouldn't have spent $90 on an application fee if I knew my application would just end up being incomplete. 

9 minutes ago, vitaminquartet said:

Philpot, you should just send a reminder to your recommender.  It was surely just an oversight.  

I sent several reminders :P he's a very busy man, so I understand the delay, but it's just adding to the stress of waiting to know one application is essentially DOA. 

Send another reminder!  Call his office!  Call his assistant!  Show up at his office!  It is okay for a professor to decline to write for a student it is not okay for a professor to agree to write for a student and then not submit recommendations to all of their schools, and they know this.

47 minutes ago, vitaminquartet said:

Send another reminder!  Call his office!  Call his assistant!  Show up at his office!  It is okay for a professor to decline to write for a student it is not okay for a professor to agree to write for a student and then not submit recommendations to all of their schools, and they know this.

I did :P it's a combination of busyness and lack of technological know-how. I think he finally submitted it, but I'll confirm with the school in the morning. 

Was just reading the 2015-2016 version of this thread... Got me nervous/excited, thought I should start posting, get cozy with you all since it will get busy once decisions start being released...

Applied to 11 programs, all PT, currently working in hospital (BA in Poli Sci). Really have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and look forward to commiserating and celebrating together over the next few weeks (ugh! Weeks??!)

As an aside, anyone submit proposals to APSA?

On 1/11/2017 at 3:01 AM, Monody said:

Anyone else feels like s/he is getting more stupid by reading more? I am starting to feel like I should take courses in basically every social science research area and beyond to get a comprehensive understanding of the substantive issues and methodological opportunities to create the best possible research. When I am reading Wooldridge (2010) I feel like I should really take courses in Mathematics and in extension in Microeconomics. Alternatively, there is such a rich literature in Psychology or Geography that I want to tap into but it all takes so much time to really understand the complexity and avoid creating shallow research that is not sufficiently grounded and aware of all necessary implications and assumption that undergird the methodology, just to take one example. I even caught up on links to evolutionary biology and physics...

I completely understand how you feel and at the same time I am glad that I am not the only one here that feels the same. I am reading extensively on "state of exception" theory for my Master's thesis and seeing interpretations of it in diverse fields is really widening my perspective. I was expecting to see lots of legal and political analysis before I began reading related articles, but I never thought that I would read papers related to geography and agree with most of them. It is crazy to think how much there is to read and comprehend but how little time we have to do so. 

I have a question regarding Harvard GSAS application portal page for application checklist.

I have sent my GRE score long before, but the portal page does not show my official score.(Dang, I just noticed there is a portal page that can check application status.....) There is just Standardized Test category written in bold letters. 

There is no score..... Is this normal? or My score is not officially received?

Does anyone who has applied to Harvard have any idea? ...... ? 

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, dododo said:

I have a question regarding Harvard GSAS application portal page for application checklist.

I have sent my GRE score long before, but the portal page does not show my official score.(Dang, I just noticed there is a portal page that can check application status.....) There is just Standardized Test category written in bold letters. 

There is no score..... Is this normal? or My score is not officially received?

Does anyone who has applied to Harvard have any idea? ...... ? 

Thanks.

Hello! Are you refering this website https://hgsas.askadmissions.net/Vip/Vip.aspx?

In my case, below the bolded "Standardized Test" text is written "GRE General Official - 11/2016" (the date I took the test), but no scores are mentioned. Considering the lack of details concerning other elements cited in this checklist, I wouldn't expect anything else. 

On 1/10/2017 at 7:43 PM, jazzmintea said:

Anyone heard from OSU? Based on previous cycles, some people must have done interviews in the second week of January. 

looks like one is out (at least). So glad I didn't apply there. The anxiety of waiting for an interview email would have killed me. Good Luck!

4 hours ago, resDQ said:

looks like one is out (at least). So glad I didn't apply there. The anxiety of waiting for an interview email would have killed me. Good Luck!

Good luck, folks!  As much anxiety it would cause , i would love the opportunity to interview at my target programs. 

Did anyone hear from OSU? It looks like calls for interviews are out. I have seen only one entry in result page though. I don't know if all selected for interview are notified at once or on rolling basis. 

Looks like we're starting to see some movement! Congrats to those who have heard from POIs at OSU - remember though, Prof. Braumoeller has said in the past that no interview≠rejection. Some professors choose to interview students, some do not.

One of my letter-writers e-mailed me today to let me know that she was fielding questions about my file - exciting!

5 hours ago, resDQ said:

Thanks!!! Yeah I just saw a post on the Results section. I haven't gotten any news from there. Probably time to say good bye..! 

1 hour ago, jazzmintea said:

Thanks!!! Yeah I just saw a post on the Results section. I haven't gotten any news from there. Probably time to say good bye..! 

But there is only 1 post. I would not count yourself out quite yet!

Exciting for OSU apps, best of luck to all.

This may sound like a goofy question, but what kinds of questions are departments asking in these kinds of interviews? I'm familiar with interviews in other professional forums, but I'm curious what kinds of things departments are asking about/looking for in interview candidates...