Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

Condolences to the recently rejected - it's just the beginning of the cycle! My UT Austin app still says "under review," so I don't know what to make of that.

In other news, I have it on good authority that we will hear from Wisconsin next week.

16 minutes ago, dagnabbit said:

Condolences to the recently rejected - it's just the beginning of the cycle! My UT Austin app still says "under review," so I don't know what to make of that.

In other news, I have it on good authority that we will hear from Wisconsin next week.

If that's true, that might be my first news of the cycle. That's a little nerve-wracking! 

I have to say that I am a little surprised that most (maybe all) of mine only say "submitted" instead of "under review" or anything similar. Stanford, Princeton, Columbia, NYU, PennState, MIT, and Duke for that matter. I guess that this is normal, isnt it?

8 minutes ago, Monody said:

I have to say that I am a little surprised that most (maybe all) of mine only say "submitted" instead of "under review" or anything similar. Stanford, Princeton, Columbia, NYU, PennState, MIT, and Duke for that matter. I guess that this is normal, isnt it?

completely normal. Should be hearing from Penn State soon, I think. 

2 minutes ago, resDQ said:

completely normal. Should be hearing from Penn State soon, I think. 

Thanks. Penn's results are expected at the end of January, aren't they? Ive to say that this is interesting considering that their deadline was only recently and much later than those of universities who publicize their results much later. 

2 minutes ago, Monody said:

Thanks. Penn's results are expected at the end of January, aren't they? Ive to say that this is interesting considering that their deadline was only recently and much later than those of universities who publicize their results much later. 

It is a good program, but I can't imagine them having the same number of applicants as say Harvard or Stanford. We also don't know how they handle admissions (several meetings throughout a week, one long meeting, etc.). 

7 minutes ago, resDQ said:

It is a good program, but I can't imagine them having the same number of applicants as say Harvard or Stanford. We also don't know how they handle admissions (several meetings throughout a week, one long meeting, etc.). 

I didn't want to imply that it wasn't a good program as I surely would not have applied otherwise, but I find that impressive compared to the length of the process for the other programs. I mean 2 1/2 months for Stanford compared to roughly 3 weeks. Are they receiving such fewer applications?

Edited by Monody

I didn't want to imply that it wasn't a good program as I surely would not have applied otherwise, but I find that impressive compared to the length of the process for the other programs. I mean 2 1/2 months for Stanford compared to roughly 3 weeks. Are they receiving such fewer applications?

It varies from year to year. There was a thread somewhere either in this forum or a different one that listed actual numbers of applicants from last cycle. Most of the Big 10 schools (Wisconsin, PSU, etc) on average have 100-150 applicants each year (some years are higher). I think OSU had more applicants than the other Big 10 schools. I could be wrong. If I find the info, I'll post it here. 

3 minutes ago, Monody said:

Probably. But keep in mind those top programs can more or less wait as long as they'd like to send out decisions, as they know they will attract top candidates year in and year out. Smaller programs such as Penn State are better served by getting their offers out sooner rather than later. 

13 minutes ago, resDQ said:

Yes. Fit isn't the best, but I like the methods training they offer. 

I see. Ive applied based on both, substantive research areas and methodological training. Out of interest and because you mentioned it, what kind of method training have you received so far as an undergraduate in the US and how much does it relate to the underlying Math? Formally, I only did OLS, some MLE, and factor analysis and am now basically abusing the Econ department (causal inference, time series, VAR models, panel methods, SEM), the latter of which made me realize how comparatively shoddy the PoliSci method training was with regard to the mathematical processes.

Edited by Monody

7 minutes ago, waterloo715 said:

Probably. But keep in mind those top programs can more or less wait as long as they'd like to send out decisions, as they know they will attract top candidates year in and year out. Smaller programs such as Penn State are better served by getting their offers out sooner rather than later. 

Maybe...but I think they get them out earlier to compete with similarly ranked schools. A friend that graduated a year before me and is in grad school now told me  (based on his visitation experience) that PSU typically competes with UMD, OSU, and UC Davis for applicants. All schools compete with the T5 and lose (excluding outliers). Wisconsin seems to deal with UT Austin, UC Davis, OSU, Rochester, and NYU, or their prospective students tend to have UW as their only option (excluding those with T5 offers).

*this info is based on a successful applicant from last year focusing on Security/Conflict. 

I see. Ive applied based on both, substantive research areas and methodological training. Out of interest and because you mentioned it, what kind of method training have you received so far as an undergraduate in the US and how much does it relate to the underlying Math? I formally only did OLS, some MLE, and factor analysis and am now basically abusing the Econ department, the latter of which made me realize how comparatively shoddy the PoliSci method training was with regard to the mathematical processes.

I have a BA in statistics. I guess that answers your question. 

Methods training is important for me and I've looked into it extensively when I was selecting schools. A lot of your experience in grad school (from my understanding) will depend on who is teaching the methods course and how much effort you choose to put into it. If I get into schools that don't have great training, I'm going to ask during visitation days whether it would be possible to do an MA in Stats or Econ.

7 minutes ago, resDQ said:

I have a BA in statistics. I guess that answers your question. 

Methods training is important for me and I've looked into it extensively when I was selecting schools. A lot of your experience in grad school (from my understanding) will depend on who is teaching the methods course and how much effort you choose to put into it. If I get into schools that don't have great training, I'm going to ask during visitation days whether it would be possible to do an MA in Stats or Econ.

Wow, I am jealous. I realized a while ago how great it would have been to have the really substantive knowledge a BA in Statistics would have been able to provide. I am currently somewhat frustrated as it feels like the more I learn the more I am missing the underlying Math to accurately relate everything to each other. Now I am working through Mathematics for Economists by Blume, but Ive to juggle all the other projects at the same time so it will probably take the next few weeks to get through it.

Maybe someone also can share his or her experiences with undergraduate method courses for PoliSci majors?

Edited by Monody

10 minutes ago, resDQ said:

Maybe...but I think they get them out earlier to compete with similarly ranked schools. A friend that graduated a year before me and is in grad school now told me  (based on his visitation experience) that PSU typically competes with UMD, OSU, and UC Davis for applicants. All schools compete with the T5 and lose (excluding outliers). Wisconsin seems to deal with UT Austin, UC Davis, OSU, Rochester, and NYU, or their prospective students tend to have UW as their only option (excluding those with T5 offers).

*this info is based on a successful applicant from last year focusing on Security/Conflict. 

Yes, good point on competition. Nonetheless, I think these programs strive to get offers out early. And let's be honest, I'm sure most people on adcomms want to get the process over with and move on to other things.