Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

50 minutes ago, resDQ said:

I really doubt a month early. A very elaborate troll. 

An actual offer with funding from the graduate school? Earliest result for this dept. was end of January. 

One of the UNC one's is mine--departmental letter saying that I have been accepted and offering an assistantship+health. Said that an official letter from the graduate school would shortly follow, and that a complete funding package wouldn't be confirmed until the graduate school finished their merit-based fellowship competition. 

9 hours ago, StrengthandHonor said:

One of the UNC one's is mine--departmental letter saying that I have been accepted and offering an assistantship+health. Said that an official letter from the graduate school would shortly follow, and that a complete funding package wouldn't be confirmed until the graduate school finished their merit-based fellowship competition. 

Congrats. I'm a first year at UNC if you (or anyone else) have any questions. 

On 1/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, GradNYC said:

Oh boy.... i didn't see two postings.... 

Have these Princeton postings disappeared now? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't seem to find them in the Results section...

If so, should we assume that the postings were trolls / otherwise inaccurate? 

8 hours ago, jamesdilla said:

For those who got emails from OSU POIs, were they explicit requests for interviews or open-ended? 

The e-mail that I received was an explicit request.

On 1/14/2017 at 8:32 AM, dagnabbit said:

Big congrats, @StrengthandHonor! Must be great to have a great acceptance in hand at the very beginning of the cycle.

Does anybody want to claim the Riverside acceptance from yesterday?

Typo on the UCR one, haven't accepted it, but it's mine.

16 hours ago, oakeshott said:

Have these Princeton postings disappeared now? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't seem to find them in the Results section...

If so, should we assume that the postings were trolls / otherwise inaccurate? 

Yeah, I noticed that one went away earlier (which oddly said 2016 as admissions cycle...?), and now that the second is gone... elaborate trolls... playing with our minds!

3 minutes ago, philpot said:

Is anyone claiming the Notre Dame political science admit? It seems super early for ND results compared to past years. 

That does seem early, and I thought they did interviews...? Not that that would necessary preclude an acceptance, but still, given the timing, this sounds fishy...

19 minutes ago, lalalalovesong said:

Congrats to whom got admission!

But what's going on with these extremely early admissions from UNC, UIUC, UCR, Georgia, and Notre Dame? They seem unusual, comparing to previous cycle

UIUC tends to decide early. It looks that someone had an admission on January 7 last year. . 

3 hours ago, lalalalovesong said:

But what's going on with these extremely early admissions from UNC, UIUC, UCR, Georgia, and Notre Dame? They seem unusual, comparing to previous cycle

Add Berkeley to that!

5 hours ago, lalalalovesong said:

I imagine two things are at play (although, I'm new to the admissions thing so feel free to correct me).

1.) This forum (and the results page) are not a representative sample of all the people who apply to grad school. The shoe-in candidates who aren't worried about getting in probably don't check this forum or post, (and thus we would never know if they got admission early in January).

2.) The early bird gets the worm. Admissions committees outside of the top 15 want good candidates too, early offers = higher likely hood they get those candidates to sign on.

The Berkeley acceptance is listed as "Accepted via E-mail on 17 Jan 2017".  Which is to say that if the report was accurate...they got an email after 9pm CA time on a holiday?  I don't think so.  

These are all big departments and we have enough 'data' from previous years to see that almost all of these departments send out large numbers of acceptances and rejections on the same day.  

"1.) This forum (and the results page) are not a representative sample of all the people who apply to grad school. The shoe-in candidates who aren't worried about getting in probably don't check this forum or post, (and thus we would never know if they got admission early in January)."

There is no one who is a "shoe-in" to the point of not being worried about admission for top 5 departments.  Thats just not a thing.  There are too many elements of randomness.  

And anyways, even if some people are functionally "shoe-ins", they still wont be notified early because departments don't want to let people know where they stand in their order of preference since this would undermine recruitment efforts.  

"2.) The early bird gets the worm. Admissions committees outside of the top 15 want good candidates too, early offers = higher likely hood they get those candidates to sign on."

But every research university signs up to the same pact that requires them to set their acceptance deadline on April 15.  I don't see much of an advantage in early admissions for the departments.  

5 hours ago, vitaminquartet said:

But every research university signs up to the same pact that requires them to set their acceptance deadline on April 15.  I don't see much of an advantage in early admissions for the departments.  

Well, the UGA DGS told me that the reason they set their cycle earlier than most other programs is for precisely the reason that the OP suggested:  getting a foot in the door with the candidates they want, and having the maximum amount of time to convince them to come to UGA.  So that they don't get lost in the shuffle if applicants are sifting through multiple offers in a short time period.

27 minutes ago, GradNYC said:

Since we are in mid-janury, i think any acceptance or rejection is legit... i'm sure committee's are meeting now at this point. 

definitely meeting by now, but I don't buy a single UCB acceptance a few weeks early. Went through old threads. It is not unusual for UNC and Georgetown acceptances to trickle out. Completely unusual for Berkeley. Though it is possible because they may have changed how admissions are done. 

I think PSR's trolling of the gradcafe results board is basically a tradition at this point - let's all just remember that top ten programs will almost 100% not issue decisions until February. It's important to approach this process with a bit of levity! We will all have news soon enough.

Speaking of which, we're coming up on some big announcements - tOSU, Wisconsin, and Davis have historically notified admits between the 21st and 25th.